Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First Lines

Author Topic: First Lines
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who are still unaware, there is a magazine called First Lines that publishes issues in which every story for that issue has the same first line. For the November 1st deadline, it is "The inside was dark." I've turned it into a 1500 word short story that I was hoping to get some volunteers to read. Here's the first 13 lines:

The inside was dark. My eyes, unaccustomed to the flickering lights of the candles, registered the `darkness as complete for several minutes. Only then did I see him, lying on the bed with warm, welcoming

#

Sarah tore the piece of paper from the typewriter, wadded it up into a tiny ball, and threw it towards the trash can. It landed true, but the volume of wadded up pages had just reached critical and it bounced out, taking several other false attempts with it.

“I give up,” Sarah said to the room around her. “I can’t write.”

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it sounds pretty clever so far. I'd like to read it.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine! That's darned brilliant!

I've been mulling over that stupid First Line first line for weeks now! How uninspiring is "The inside was dark"?

Man! If only I'd thought of it first!

I'd be happy to read it for you, BUT, like the Rewrite Challenge, I'd rather not mess with my own train of thought on the First Line challenge, so I'm going to have to pass this time.

Good luck with it.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Actually, dakota, that's exactly where the inspiration for this story came from. I thought the line sucked, and did not sound remotely like anything I'd write, especially as a first sentence. It's short, choppy, and completely void of information. So...voila! A writer with writer's block. I do understand that you're reluctant to read, though. Perhaps after you've done one up yourself we can exchange drafts?
Edmund
Member # 2044

- posted      Profile for Edmund   Email Edmund         Edit/Delete Post 
Sign me up; I can read. (That's what I keep telling people, anyway...)
Posts: 1200 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree, that's a brilliant trick.

At 1500, I'd guess that this should be pretty punchy. I wouldn't mind taking a look.

I do have to say that pretty much all the First Lines have struck me as exercises in seeing people try to write wearing shackles, sort of like bear-baiting or a bullfight.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be very happy to exchange drafts...if I ever get one written. If I don't I should know by mid October. Would you be willing to let me read through that close to deadline?

By the way, hubby and I spent last weekend with my parents and siblings and their spouses. I heard the GREATEST first line from my sister. It totally got my mind going. Get this:

"Remember the double jointed girl?"

Might make an interesting Hatrack challenge. Or, I understand First Line has a First Line contest once a year, where you submit first lines rather than stories based on the first line.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

That would be fun...I should submit the one I just came up with yesterday for a short story:

The thing about dead ends is the road tends to stop there.

I don't know...I thought it was an interesting way to start a story.

Christine
Member # 1646

Am I correct in thinking that in the excerpt above, the opening, the stuff she was writing, should be double indented? I have typically been under the impression that all letters or journal entries should be set off in this way.
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
That would seem a valid formating choice, though I don't know the actual manuscript rule on that one. Certainly what you would do with an extended quote in other types of documents.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're still looking for readers, I'd be interested in reading the rest of it. E-mail's in the profile.
Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.