Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Help with a name for alien species?

Author Topic: Help with a name for alien species?
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
In my novel, there is an incredibly beautiful avian species with iridescent, rainbow scales and a long, narrow tubular snouts. They are sentient, and sing beautiful music through their flute-like snouts. Their life cycle begins as underwater larvae, which then pupate in bubble-sacs floating on the water, and hatch into the baby avians.

The problem is I can't think of a name for them that doesn't sound corny. The working name has been Fluters, and there's no way that's gonna fly past the first draft, but I'm stumped.

The world was colonized by humans about a millenium ago, so the name would probably be a corruption of a word the humans called them when they first came to the planet.

Please help me name these wonderful beings? (And be advised that if I hear one that really works, I would like permission to use it in my novel. Thanks so much!)

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few thoughts... there's quite a bit of imagery you could draw on. The fact that they are scaly and have long snouts sort of reminded me of dragons. So a few names I'll toss out are related to that line of thinking.

None of these [dragons] particular stand out as winning possibilities, but in the interest of stirring creative juices...

Tatsu
These are Japanese dragons, with three claws on each foot. They live in lakes and springs. They represent the Mikado, imperial power, and spiritual power. Tatsu are based on an early type of Chinese dragon.

Chiao
Chiao, Chiao-Lung, or Kiao, are the scaled dragons. Some Chiao are said to start life as fish, and turn into Chiao apon reaching a great age. According to some sources they symbolise the statesman.

Going on the musical thing:

Quaver[s]
A shake, or rapid and tremulous vibration, of the voice, or of an instrument of music.

Considering that human colonies would likely name things similar to what they knew on Earth (or read about Earth as the case may be):

Pheobians, or some variation (as in pheobe, a type of bird and also a moon and a Greek mythological figure):
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=phoebe

Here's a quote I found: "The North American hermit thrush (Catharus guttatus), for example, would be an easy source of inspiration. Its song is clear and flute-like, consisting of a key note followed by four or five motifs or phrases set at different pitches..."

So, you could have Catharians? Or some variation?

Here's a few bird links you might find helpful/interesting:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bird%20genus

http://www.mma.gov.br/ingles/cgmi/cantoave/canto.html

http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/scinames.htm

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
What would they call themselves? What caracteristics define them to themselves?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Could your characters make a name that's imitative of any of the sounds they make? I'm thinking of bobwhites and jays on this one. Or you could name them after the way they move, or after anything they remind your characters of from back home.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You could combine a couple of simple descriptive terms. Like calling them Singing Tatsus or something. Of you could come up with a nice long Latin species name and apply some contractions to it.

Calling the species by a functional name might be a problem because not all of them are musicians by profession.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, here's my little contribution.
You could call them a variant of the Incan God 'Quetzalcoatl' or something like that. The feathers and the irridecent (SP) scales gave me the idea for that, but I don't know if you were wanting to go in that direction or not. Just an idea to bat around.

-BHJr-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Quetzalcoatl is actually Aztec. I like that idea, though, Bryan. (I think of the feathered serpent as a Central American "dragon.")

I don't recall if there is an Incan name for the feathered serpent.

The Mayan name for the feathered serpent is Kukulcan, in case that is more inspiring.

These sound more like scaled birds than feathered serpents. What if they called them "Archies" after archaeopteryx?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
goatboy
Member # 2062

- posted      Profile for goatboy   Email goatboy         Edit/Delete Post 
They would probably have more than one name. Humans on discovering them, would apply a name that would be descriptive "Snout nosed whistlers". If sentient, they would probably have a name for themselves that would simply mean "people" in their language, and so would not necessarily be terribly flowery.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Scapegoat
Member # 2076

- posted      Profile for Scapegoat   Email Scapegoat         Edit/Delete Post 
For my two cents: If they are sentient then they would undoubtedly have a name for themselves. From the sound of their vocalization it would probably be unpronounceable by humans. The two ways I could see the naming happening would either be a human word that approximates the sound they make when naming themselves, or a mythological and/o descriptive name from human culture. Some that came to mind for me based on your descriptions: Phoenix, Angel, Roc, Bennu, Senmurv, and Tlanuwa.

Hope this helps

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, do the humans like them, or is there friction between the two groups. If there is friction they might call them "fluters" or "puddle podders" or something as a sort of slang term, or racial slur. Similar to "buggers" in Ender's Game.
Scientists would have another name for them, probably Latin, with a shortened, simpler version for common use.
If the humans hold them in high regard, or consider them to be god-like, we would probably have a very symbolic name for them, like "singing angels" or something.

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the bit about the different Chinese dragons, I may use something like that. I also like keeping "Fluters" as a derogatory term, there is a group that would just as soon see these creatures become extinct.

Humans do not know they are sentient, until my protagonist discovers it halfway through the novel. Humans do use the bones of these animals as a musical instrument, and as the novel begins, some unsavory characters have started hunting them for their bones. I didn't necessarily intend to draw a parallel between elephant poaching in our world and these creatures, but since it happened I'm gonna go with it.

I have noticed that names are a big problem with me. Part of it is that I know that names are important and have a lot of significance, so I feel that I have to choose just the right one; but it is also partly lack of inspiration. Because so many of my ideas involve aliens or completely different human societies, I like the names to be consistent with their cultures, which means I can't flip through phone books for inspiration.

Does anyone else struggle with this? If so, what do you do?

hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Couple of suggestions
Why not 'fifers' rather than 'fluters'?

Or you could describe the sound more than the creature.

Have you heard of an 'aeolian harp' ?

Maybe they could be 'aeolians' or 'harpers'

'Aeolian' does set-up the Alien-aeolian thing but may be OK, Aeolian would probably devolve into something like 'yolan' over the centuries or 'Elyan' or even 'Illian'

Here is a link to a .wav with the sound of an aeolian harp if your interested: http://www.harpmaker.net/windharp.wav

and this is a site about an aeolian harp project in New Zealand: http://www.music.canterbury.ac.nz/CCBrownlink/chrisaeol.htm

and one in Germany, cool recordings
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/playingthewind.shtml

Oh! and here's that grain of salt, you can take this all with.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited September 09, 2004).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Hoptoad - yes I love aeolian harp. Have you ever heard of Andreas Vollenweider? He is an incredibly talented musician who plays almost everything, a. harps among others. One of his best CD's is called "Eolian Minstrel" and has a gorgeous flavor, medieval and rich. If you wanna talk music, that needs a whole 'nother forum! I could go on for hours. But for Kathleen's sanity's sake, I'll restrict myself to just the one recommendation.

The "Fifers" idea is also cool . . . I will ponder that a bit.

autumnmuse
Member # 2136

Do you guys think it would be stupid to simply call them Bards? It sounds kind of like saying 'bird' with a corny country accent, but of course means a musician here on earth.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds okay to me.

But then, I'm more of a visual reader than an audio reader--I don't usually "hear" stuff when I'm reading it. (I didn't realize that Tom Bombadil was speaking in his funny little rhythm even when he wasn't singing until I read LORD OF THE RINGS out loud to my daughter.)

Audio readers might notice the bird/bard sound connection, but then again, they might not.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.