Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Science and Fantasy

Author Topic: Science and Fantasy
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted the introduction to a story a looonnngggg time ago that explored the a new world I had just begun to explore. Since then, I have written a couple other stories using the world that I don't think did anything. I'm feeling more hopeful about this one....here's the opening lines. I'm not ready for readers for the whole thing yet (maybe later in the week) but I'd love thoughts on this bit:

Daryl knew he was dead the instant he heard the diagnosis. He could do nothing but stare at the gray-haired doctor who had delivered the news but knew nothing of the implications. Dr. Blake droned on about technical advances that could make up for his handicap, as if they would make any difference now. The state of the art neural implants that had boosted his mental capacity since birth, the private hover car, the intoxicating potions, and the private robot would all be meaningless soon. A dead man had no use for any of them.

Daryl had no magic.

Dixon’s Syndrome, first diagnosed in Albert Dixon three hundred years before, meant a complete inability for the brain to process magamine, the neural transmitter responsible for magic. The one percent of the population who suffered the condition was the most hated and feared in the world. They were also the only the only people in the world who had the power to challenge Daryl’s father, the emperor.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited September 07, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited September 07, 2004).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first sentence, which worked as a good hook. Overall, it seems intriguing.

I'm confused about the timing and purpose of the modifications. They seem to already be inplace, yet it also seems they are things the Doctor is recommending to overcome the anti-magic handicap. Since I took the scene to be saying Daryl is just getting the diagonis (and not hiding from something he already knew, and it's just now exposed -- if that is the case, it isn't clear enough), it doesn't make sense he already has the comensating modifications.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I see what you mean, GZ. I didn't think about them that way, for some reason, but I've done a simple fix to the first paragraph:

Daryl knew he was dead the instant he heard the diagnosis. He could do nothing but stare at the gray-haired doctor who had delivered the news but knew nothing of the implications. Dr. Blake droned on about technical advances that could make up for his handicap, as if they would make any difference now. Not even the state of the art neural implants that had boosted his mental capacity since birth would be helpful. He would never see a private hover car, intoxicating potions, or a personal robot.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds interesting, however, it took a couple of read-throughs to figure it out. My first reading gave me the impression that Daryl was actually dead but that in milieu of the story, death was not the end, but a medical condition. I don't know why I got that impression it just struck me that way at first. Once I straightened out my thoughts and realized what was really happening, it all made a lot more sense.

The last sentence feels a bit disjointed because I have no context for why Daryl's father needs to be overthrown. It seems like a completely new thought for a new paragraph. Perhaps ending the paragraph with a sentece that brings Dixon's Syndrome and Daryl together.

i.e. "The one percent of the population who suffered the condition was the most hated and feared in the world."...Now Daryl was one of them; they would be his only hope for survival.

I don't know if that kind of thing would work in the context of the story, but I think it needs something more to introduce why his father is a threat and that is a seperate thought from Dixon's Syndrome.

I'm not as bothered by the modifications that have already been done. I read it as: this is not an easy thing to diagnose so they have been trying to treat some of the symptoms but are only just discovering the cause. As I look at this, it seems odd that it wouldn't be more obvious, unless in is impossible to determine a person's full magical capability until they are an adult. If Daryl's father is an important person, perhaps he has delayed looking at Dixon's Syndrome as a possibility to protect his son as long as possible.

I am a bit confused about why the doctor wouldn't be aware of the implications of someone having Dixon's Syndrome. Especially if these people are so widely feared and hated.

I hope this isn't too nitpicky. Overall, I think it's a good hook .

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thanks, Robyn Hood. I'm not sure what made you think he was dead. Well, I guess I sort of do but unless someone else was confused I'm going to have to chalk that up to a fluke. I did change the last sentence, though. It may still not flow with the paragraph but the truth is I'm not ready to spend a paragraph expanding on it yet, not until after Daryl finishes running for his life and has some time to mull things over, anyway. I hope this change softens things a bit and adds just enough more information to tide you over until I am ready.
Edmund
Member # 2044

- posted      Profile for Edmund   Email Edmund         Edit/Delete Post 
Christine,

Overall, interesting concept. But I have to agree with Robyn Hood about thinking he was clinically dead, yet somehow cognizant anyway. I was going to chalk it up to something in my own reading, but since RH brought it up too...

My biggest problem is that there is so much info packed into a small space that I had to read it several times to put all the pieces together. The idea of part of a man's brain not working, thus preventing him from using magic is fascinating enough on it's own, without throwing in all that stuff from the last paragraph. It got to be too much. Take your time, add the emperor stuff in later. You've got a lot of really cool stuff going on here though.

Minor nit, but Daryl is kind of a goofy name for an emperor's son. Can you imagine Alexander the Great or Ghengis Khan going: Hi, this is my heir, Daryl. No. Emperor's have a lot of ego; it comes with the job. They tend to name their kids accordingly.

Posts: 1200 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the gray-haired doctor who had delivered the news but knew nothing of the implications.
This is the thing that really threw me off. I can't think of any reason that the doctor wouldn't know the implications, unless it's something about Daryl in particular that makes this condition worse than usual, and which the doctor doesn't know about. One possible explanation lies in Daryl's being the Emperor's son. Since he's without magic, he can't be allowed to inherit, and so must be killed to allow the next in line to succeed the throne. But there's no indication of that here.

In fact, the way I originally read it was that the doctor had just diagnosed him with something totally unspecified, and only Daryl realized that it would be fatal, because he already knew he had Dixon's Syndrome.. The doctor, not knowing that, blathered on about the technical advances that could make no difference in Daryl's case. I didn't read your original post (as you had it before responding to GZ's comments), but I suspect that we're both being confused by some of the same things.

I think what you need to do is connect more information on a topic with the topic's first mention. At least something like adding: "Dixon's Syndrome." after the first sentence. A similar problem occurs when you say:

quote:
The one percent of the population who suffered the condition was the most hated and feared in the world.
I would think "pitied and despised." If the people who lack a power are hated and feared, you need to explain why instantly, by telling us specifically what that lack allows them to do.

As for Daryl being really dead--well, I didn't get that at all. In fact, this seems like a fairly time-honored (and still effective) construction, like the teenage girl, in bed with her boyfriend, who hears the door open an hour before she expected her parents to get home, and says, "I'm dead." Of course, that's a figurative usage, but it's the same idea. She doesn't need to say, "I'll be dead as soon as my parents come upstairs," and Daryl doesn't need to say, "he knew he would die soon." I say leave it.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited September 07, 2004).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Thanks, Rick. I must say, two people thinking the same thing did throw me. I almost changed the sentence but as you say, "Daryl knew he would die soon." doesn't have the same impact as "Daryl knew he was dead..." But then I got to thinking about it and decided that the problem wasn't actually in the first sentence. I think (correct me if I'm wrong u2 who thought he was dead) that the problem is the rest of the first paragraph. What I thought I needed to do was set the stage, make sure you knew he was in a technically universe that also used magic before I did anything else. I still think I need to do that almost immediately, but maybe I can come up with a different way. Frankly, the explanation of Dixon's Syndrome is a big clue.

I'm going to give this some thought and post a new opening with these suggestions sometime today.

Oh and Rick, your first thought about why he was different is almost dead on target. So few lines...so much to say!

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know why I was thrown.
quote:
Daryl knew he was dead the instant he heard the diagnosis.

It reads like death is the diagnosis.
I don't know if using a slangy phrase, like "Daryl knew he was a deadman...", would make a difference.

quote:
What I thought I needed to do was set the stage, make sure you knew he was in a technically universe that also used magic before I did anything else.

As soon as you start using terms like "doctor", "diagnosis", "neural transmitter" and "syndrome" I get a feeling that this is a technically modern setting. Your word choice has created a tone which already communicates that this is an advanced society - magic is just part of that society.

What about mentioning Dixon's Syndrome earlier. Something like: Dixon's Syndrome. Daryl knew he was a deadman the instant...

Obviously Daryl knows what he has just been diagnosed with, so why hide it from the reader? You don't have to explain it right away (the timing of your explaination is fine), but it might help if we know the diagnosis sooner.

Not sure if this helps or not.

cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
My only nits fall in the last paragraph.

One, unless Albert Dixon himself comes up to be important later on, I'd cut "first... before". It's a little tell-y, and besides, with a name like Dixon's Syndrome, we can assume it's either named after someone who had it (most likely) or after the discoverer.

Two, it's a little tell-y, almost infodumpy. Can you compress it? Do we really need the magamine info? If it is needed, have the doctor drone on about it, maybe possible injections and such, and let the reader pick up on his own that the transmitter is responsible for magic. I suggest keeping this last paragraph closer to Daryl by cutting out the factoids and instead gearing the remaining facts towards how it affects Daryl immediately, like being isolated (being one of 1%) and possible danger and interpersonal conflict (one of the few people who could challenge his father).

Then again, this is science fantasy, right? The amount of and how you placed the sciency facts might be how sf always does it. I have read very little science fiction, so take everything I say with a heap of salt.

Hope that helps. I think it's interesting, and if I weren't completely swamped by college, I'd love to read it when you got around to sending it out to critiquers. Best of luck on it.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

It is telly, you are absolutely right. And furthermore, that's the way I want it. As it happens, the draw is meant to be the very first setnece, the fact that our main character's life is in danger. I am going to cut and rearrange this so perhaps I get to some showing in the second or third paraggraph rather than the fourth (which you don't see here) but basically, I have to say one or two things in order fo ryou to not have that Huh? reaction we so fear as writers. Like I said, a redo is coming probably today, maybe tomorrow if I keep wasting time here instead of actually writing...
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought he was dead. I guess that's one of those classic dangers of writing fantasy since he could be really dead. Besides that,you've got me hooked so I'd like to read the rest when it's written.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowflake
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Snowflake           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting stuff. The first line grabbed my attention well. Since the character is not truly dead, as such, perhaps you could use a capital D to differentiate: Death instead of death.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

All right, I've got a new attempt going here. I'm going to leave the first, but what do you think of this? I've gotten to the point much quicker, and only "tell" for a paragraph.

From the instant Daniel heard the words, “Dixon’s Syndrome,” he knew that the fact of his lungs pumping and heart beating were mere technicalities. He was a dead man. Anyone else would have survived the diagnosis, even if it relegated them to the ranks of the despised, but the emperor’s son could not be allowed to live without magic.

“I know this must be difficult for you,” Dr. Blake said, “but we’ll find ways for you to cope. You’ve already got the best neural implants available. You can use a hover car rather than fly, and we can get you a personal robot.”

Difficult did not even begin to describe it. Daniel glanced sideways at the sealed door, wondering if his father’s guards were already on their way. Or was it possible that his father would deal with this one personally? Would Daniel be given that one bit of dignity, at least?

Daniel jumped off the examination table. He needed to stand. He needed to think. He needed to escape.

Christine
Member # 1646

Hi Snowflake, welcome to hatrack.

DIdn't see your post until after I made mine...interesting thought but I must quote a rule to you. Well, not a rule so much as a general bit of good advice. Whenever possible, do not use punctuation (or related things) to substitute for wording that demands understanding. This is why exclamation points should almost never be used. The anger or excitement should flow from the words, not from the mark. Also why italics to emphasize words should be used very sparingly.

Snowflake
Member # 2169

- posted      Profile for Snowflake           Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I haven't understood the excerpt properly, but I thought that death, in your story, meant having no magic. Is this right?
I thought this was comparable to something like the Wit in Robin Hobb's novels. And she uses Wit instead of wit to show the difference. Similar to His Dark Materials, where dust becomes Dust.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

LOL...everyone else took it more literally than I meant it and you, snowflake, have taken it much more figuratively! I got it coming from both sides.

That's ok, I'm actually finding it quite amusing, but it does illustrate a point I sometimes like to make about providing feedback: Never make a suggestion without outlining the precise reason WHY you feel the change should be made. When you delve into the why it may reveal incorrect assumptions so that the author knows where the real problem is. I go into this in some detail in the last part of the three-part critique article I wrote for Kathleen's newsletter. It'll come out next month. Part two is at: http://userpages.burgoyne.com/workshop/

Anyway, enough about that. I hope my new version clarifies many of these issues.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Welcome Snowflake!

I like this new beginning. I think it eliminates the confusion about what the diagnosis is. You've provided a clear picture of the situation and given more information in the same amount of words.

Also, I like the name change. Daniel sounds more regal than Daryl.

GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
This newest version is much better, IMO. All the needed facts from the first one, with some clarification thrown in, but not so infodumpish and a lot more rooted within the character. I understand the situation much better than I did in the previous versions. Overall, a better hook as well.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your revision a lot better. My only suggestion would be to reword "the fact of his heart beating and his lungs breathing..." That sentence struck me as a little awkward. Other than that, I'm really intrigued. Let me know when you're ready to send it out!
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I like the first paragraph of the first opening better, though I do think your examples of what the technical advances would be is better than just mentioning he droned on about them. I also like how "Daryl had no magic" stood alone.

However, in the new snippet, I do like the last three paragraphs. Especially that last one.

I think what's drawing me out of the first paragraph in the new snippet (or rather, not drawing me in as well as the first one had) is all the explanation thrust into it; again, this his highly personal concerning what opening line best draws a reader in.

Cya,
CC

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Jeralie in that the heart beating clause reduces the impact. I don't really think you need to clarify that he is not one of the walking dead, it is made pretty obvious from the next few lines. I like this rewrite much better than the original. It is definitely less dumpy and more action orientated, and gives the reader a feel for the urgency of your character's actions.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Well, I might do something about that first sentence, but for now I've got 5500 words of a finished first draft. If anyone's willing to give it a read, let me know.
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Ping me.

dgwriting AT hotmail DOT com

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love too have a look, so long as you are willing to give me a few days to reply
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
I didn't read the other replies so disregard if you have covered it.

I thought it was a great lead in to a wider story.
There are a couple of expectations... a 'Logan's Run' type story where society will hunt you down and destroy you if you had something wrong with you OR a secret society of non-magicians who can operate without detection and or fulfil prophetic roles.

I think it should be: "Darryl knew he was a dead-man as soon..."

The name 'megamine' sounds too cute for me.

And when you say that Dixon's syndrome is a 'complete' inability to process megamine, does that mean that there are people who only partially process it and have a Pseudo-dixon's syndrome or is it possible that anyone whose brain can't process it 'completely' has Dixon's Syndrome?

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

The unfortunate thing about not reading the other replies is that buried way down there somewhere I have a rewrite...I've tossed out the version you've commented on. Thanks though.

To those who have volunteered to read...it's coming.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.