Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Silver Field

Author Topic: The Silver Field
tonyleehealey
Member # 2171

- posted      Profile for tonyleehealey   Email tonyleehealey         Edit/Delete Post 
Word of warning/apology:

This was about 15 lines on my wp, but here it seems to be more. I hope you'll forgive me. I think its just how the site has formatted it.
This is the entire piece. There is no more.

Make of it what you will.

ADDED: Sometimes I write these very short pieces to describe something around me, something going on, someone I've met. I preffer not to write these sorts of things as full blown stories, although sometimes certain things end up in my stories...
Anyway, this one's about me. It describes me, at this moment; the way that I feel right now.

The style is my own. It's how I write (however, my style does change as to what I'm writing...) and I wouldn't change it. Unless of course it is totally dire.

What I'm most interested in, all of the time, is imagery. Is how you're seeing what I'm seeing, and wondering whether the mental pictures shared between us (writer and reader) are the same.
In fact, I find it fascinating.
If I describe a large pond as moving with its own life, littered with a confetti of summer dist, how do you see it?
What do I mean by summer dust? How would the pond have a life all its own? What do you imagine as a pond?
All these things. That's what I'm interested in.

I want to know, by posting it here, what you make of it. You may hate it. You may like it. But what do you make of it; how do you understand it?

Lemme know.

I floated in a field of cursed, yellow, buttercups. My arms, the limbs of a birch stretching away from me, were the two far poles of the Earth, and my body a cloud aching heavy with rain.

The blue Gentian was the tangled nest of my hair, of my thoughts; the very valves of my sad old heart all twisted and full of sparkling spider’s webs. Above me shone a sky of never-changing blue, lit by a long stretch of horizon; a single brush-stroke of silvered light.

A flock of seagulls, black with red eyes, circled lower and lower over me, and then came to rest on that rolling top of buttercups and occasionally plucked at golden fish just beneath the surface; like field mice scurrying away amongst the tall cover of grass.
I relaxed. These black seagulls, with their eyes of red fire, would not harm me. One landed on my chest and made itself comfortable. Eventually it dozed off under the bright, bright sky, and I forgot about it resting there, moving up and down on my chest as I breathed; moving up and down on my chest as the back of the field rippled away.

I held the world together within the strength of my arms. I bathed in the light of its dying sun; the last battered tune of an ancient clarinet under an evening breeze. At night the stars, one by one, appeared heavy and burning in the dark sky. Overhead a silent moon behind passing cloud turned and twisted like a child in sleep. The tide of that field, of that ocean, slowed, and off in the distant three dolphins leapt from the water to swim amongst the stars.

And I floated aimlessly, always aimlessly, in that field of cursed, yellow, buttercups.

TLH

[This message has been edited by tonyleehealey (edited September 09, 2004).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
If this is your entire piece, then you need to remove some of it off the site to prevent using up your electronic publishing rights, etc... Just go back and edit it and ask for readers of your work. Do not post a complete work of anything you write on this site.

Overall, it's an interesting exposition, but I've got no idea what you're on about. Nor is there any conflict, really. It's just imagery and more or less poetic imagery at that. It feels like a scene of a larger work waiting to happen.

However, since you didn't introduce the piece, and just posted it here, it's difficult to know what you were after.

In the first and last sentences of your piece, you might want to remove that extra comma between yellow and buttercups. Unless, you're putting it there for some effect... ?

That's what I made of it. How's that?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with HSO.

This isn't a short story; it's more like a huge chunk of unclear, wordy poetry.

There's probably some deep meaning to it I'm not getting...

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
tonyleehealey
Member # 2171

- posted      Profile for tonyleehealey   Email tonyleehealey         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh it's the whole piece. But don't worry, I'm not going to sell it or anything.

As I said, "Make of it what you will," just what do you think I'm trying to say about myself in this piece?

If it totally stumps people, I'll add a breakdown later on. But hopefully you'll be able to work it out.

I'll be adding an intro... NOW...

TLH

[This message has been edited by tonyleehealey (edited September 09, 2004).]

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
First, welcome to hatrack!

I 've noticed something about newbies coming on to this site...the ones that begin by posting part (or all) of a short stort story don't tend to stay. All I can figure is that they were hoping for praise and were disappointed. I hope you will take my thoughts in the spirit in which they are given...friendly and suggestive. (Total sidebar, it's just something that's been frustrating me lately. )

As for this piece. My suggestion, truly, is that if you write a purely expositive piece with no story entirely for yourself (no desire to publish whatsoever) that this is probably not the story to post for feedback. What are you looking for when you say that you are interested in knowing if people see what you see? Of course we don't. The picture in the reader's head is never the same as in the author's head. As long as you are writing for yourself, however, it doesn't matter one whit what a reader thinks. If this snipet were part of a larger work, or something you were consider turning into an actual story, I could understand the purpose in asking opinions.

What we do best, at least on this site, is pinpoint errors in story structure, characterization, and word flow. While many of the writers here provide excellent description in their stories, we don't tend to comment on it unless there is something wrong with it, something that pulls us away from the story or lulls us to sleep.

With this in mind, all I can say as to my opinion of your snippet was that it is entirely irrelevant. Though your command of the written language is obviously quite good, and the words did go together in complete, coherent sentences, the sentences did not go together to form a clear picture in my mind. Bluntly, nothing is happening here that I care about.

I hope you'll stick around despite my harsh opinions. If you've got a short story you're working on, why don't you consider posting the first thirteen lines of it? We really tend to be much better at giving advice on things like that.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
What I see here isn't a story. It's poetry. Very nice poetry. Free verse, prose poetry--call it what you will.

Oh, and welcome to Hatrack.

OK, back to my comments:

Us folks around here are folks, for the most part, interested in writing stories for that someday dream of publication. So when we look at something like this we're looking for the elements that make up a publishable story, or the elements that could become a publishable story. So when we see a piece like yours we're trying to fit it into that somewhat narrow idea of what writing is.

So when others say there's no story here, they're absolutely right. There's no story here. There are some intriguing images and ideas that could lead to a lengthy work of fantasy. But in and of itself, it's no story.

Now, to a more careful critique of the lines you posted, I think the only thing that bothered me was the confusion I had when the seagulls were suddenly catching fish out of water that isn't there. Sure, I understand it's all imagery, but if the seagulls are catching fish (or mice) out of water, I need to see that there is water present (literally or figuratively) for them to be catching fish out of.

Last thought--you need to be cautious around here with figurative language. SF/F readers tend to take things very literally and struggle with figurative language. Similes, where a direct comparison is made, are about as figurative as they can handle. So they're likely to accept and utterly believe that this story is about a sentient tree, rather than a figurative description of a human being.

Okay, definitely the last thought--there is an element of unresolved conflict here. Why in the heck are the buttercups cursed?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Actually, dakota, I did get that this was a figurative description of a human being, but I stills tand by my comments.
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno... is it the Earth floating around in that cursed, field, of, yellow, buttercups, which, might, be, space?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't riding you Christine. Wasn't challenging your comments at all. Just making a general comment. It's just something I see often when critiquing, and something Tony should be aware of when submitting to the this site.

To tell you the truth, I wrote my comments before reading yours. Shoulda said something along those lines. Forgive me?

BUT, if Tony hadn't said...

quote:
Anyway, this one's about me. It describes me, at this moment; the way that I feel right now.

...would you have seen it so clearly as figurative? Or would your mind have been heading in the fantasy/sentient tree direction?

Oh, and Christine, I wanted to compliment you on the VERY DIPLOMATIC way you expressed your concern over over-eager newbies. Tony's writing is very nice. I hope he's not one of those flash-in-the-pans. Or is it 'flashes-in-the-pan'?

<shrug>

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited September 09, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Actually, yes, I still would have. I'm not as prone to taking things literally as others on this site are. Don't get me wrong, I do have a passion for science fiction and fantasy and I love when things are just as weird as they sound, but I can usually figure out when something is meant as a metaphor. I read mystery, romance, and main stream literature as well. This snippet actually makes less sense as a literal than as a figurative. Also, in this case, I barely skimmed Tony's comments until after I read the passage. He seemed to be giving too much away and I didn't want to be biased.

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited September 09, 2004).]

tonyleehealey
Member # 2171

Okay. Thats sort of what I expected.
I think I'll just go jump of a bridge right now...

ONLY KIDDING!

I do actually have two books I've been working on for a little while, and I am published. But the small piece I had published was in aid of charity, though it was still in a book...

One of my books is an end of the world story, that is less and more than that all at the same time, if that makes sense.

The other one, is a story about a family of gifted artists in different fields who travel to attend the funeral of their father, and to hear a reading of the old mans will. He left them all only one thing: his last painting, mysteriously titled THE FIELDS OF BLUE GENTIAN. And, coincidentally, that's the title of the story...

Will someone please explain to me how and why the 13 line rule?

TLH

tonyleehealey
Member # 2171

(As you can tell, I have something about fields.......)

TLH

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Will someone please explain to me how and why the 13 line rule?

Maybe what I need to do is start a topic entitled "Why the 13-line rule" and every time someone new asks this question, I'll update the topic and refer them to it.

So, hang on, TLH, the answer will be in that new topic.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 14, 2004).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
tonyleehealey
Member # 2171

Shooting off...

...Coming Back.

Gotcha. Okay.

TLH

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, liked your piece, TLH. I can't say I understood it at all; I have no idea what you are saying about yourself, but the language flowed beautifully and painted some vivid pictures, and I think it's a good piece in that respect. But then, I tend to like those kinds of things, pieces where no real explanation of the point is given, just hinted at. I can thoroughly enjoy a piece where I finish it and think, "I don't know what that was about, but it was pretty cool."

So, TLH, I don't know what that was about, but it was pretty cool.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.