Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "A Complete Revenge", looking for readers

Author Topic: "A Complete Revenge", looking for readers
Silver6
Member # 1415

- posted      Profile for Silver6   Email Silver6         Edit/Delete Post 
Short story, fantasy, about 8500 words. I'd welcome any comments. Thanks. I do know the POV is omniscient in the first paragraph, but it's deliberate; I anchor it afterwards.

Twelve years after he lost his kingdom in a game of dice, Arune came back into the palace he had once ruled. He now had the white hair of a Gifted hermit; the guards, for fear of his curse, stood aside to let him pass. They sent for Marek, the ruler of the city, who, woken up unexpectedly in the dead of the night by a face from the past, hurriedly dressed, before receiving his visitor in his private chambers.

“The time you set for my exile is past,” Arune said. He was charting the passage of time on the other’s face, marvelling at how little the intervening years had changed him.

[This message has been edited by Silver6 (edited September 13, 2004).]

Posts: 121 | Registered: May 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
So, are you looking for readers of the whole thing or just comments on this frag?

On the frag, I'm interested. It sounds like it's going somewhere interesting, so far. But the punctuation is a bit overdone. I see at least two commas you could get rid of.

Also, I think I'd leave the stuff about him being a white-haired 'gifted' hermit with a curse until you can better work in an explanation for all those puzzlements with their introduction.

As for reading, if you want readers, I suppose I could take a look.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of your work for a while and am intrigued to see what you've been getting up to. Send it over and I'd love to take a look.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

I was looking for a critique of the whole thing, actually. It's on its way.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I will look at it, if you can wait a week or so for a reply.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver6
Member # 1415

Sure, I'll welcome any comments. I've just sent it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.