Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » An Introduction

Author Topic: An Introduction
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, my name's Cristian, and I...

Oh, wait. Not that kind of introduction. Okay.

[utter silence, save for chirping crickets]

0 for 1.

Okay, to the point. I just wrote an introduction to my WIP (in the first person POV of the protagonist), and I need some feedback on it. The muse struck while I was cleaning the bathroom (of all places!), and I had to write it down, or else risk losing it forever.

Oh, and here, [NP] means "new paragraph". It's a cheap space-saving feature, I know. Feel free to berate, mock, or ridicule.

As long as it's constructive.

And now, the thirteen lines (there's more, if you want it):

After my mother died, a psychiatrist, seeing that I wouldn’t speak to him, suggested that I instead write my feelings down on paper, an idea I took to quite well. I wrote down what I felt, and what I wanted to feel, and hopes, and dreams, and crushes, and so on, for a long time, until I realized that some of the things I was writing weren’t real. This didn’t bother me. My life was boring, and for a moment, while I wrote, I could pretend to be someone else. Someone with a mother. And a father. And a Labrador named Sparky who could shoot lasers from his eyes and led a double life (which only I knew about) as a superhero at night, while my family slept. [NP] I was a curious child before mom’s passing, and when I picked up a pencil, or a pen, I lost the gloom and sadness and became curious again. Whatever question popped into my head, I made up an answer for. Sometimes there were aliens, and sometimes there were underground cockroach people, but I always had fun, and I always wrote until the story was done, or until I couldn’t hold the pen(cil) any more. [NP] I took up the lost art (to me) of journaling (I could never call it a diary; it seemed too girly) when, in this world, I experienced feelings and thoughts that I couldn’t express to anyone, and needed a pen and paper to work out.

Well? Does it foreshadow too much? Not enough? Does it grab? Would it make you want to keep reading, or would you put the book back on the shelf (and here's hoping, btw) and move on?

CVG

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited September 22, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
More like 22 lines, Chris.

Want me to cut it, or do you want to do it? (I'd start with "Later" and take everything from there on away.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to severe time constraints at my end, I'll just tackle the first sentence. If that's okay?
But first: overall it didn't grab, mainly because the POV is too much in my face. Too much 'and this, and that'. I see what you're trying to do, but it doesn't do it for me. It's always a gamble when you write like this. Some people like it tho'... you decide.

quote:
When my mother died, a psychiatrist, seeing that I wouldn’t speak to him, suggested that I instead write my feelings down on paper, an idea I took to quite well.

When I first read this, I thought his mother was the psychiatrist. This is because of the commas. You can fix this easily enough by adding a sentence beforehand, or just rewording. My pref. would be to reword the sentence like: "After my mother died, I saw a psychiatrist..." That would clear it up for me, anyway.

Secondly, I think the first sentence might be better off as two sentences, really. Then again... maybe it could stay as one if reworded.

I sincerely hope this has been constructive...

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with HSO; that first sentence is a challenge. I had to re-read it several times to understand it properly and it actually stopped me from reading the rest at least twice (I opened this thread a few times today and am only just posting ).

It would appear that the third time is the charm because I have now read the whole thing! Once I got past the first sentence, I slowly found the rest of the opening easier to read. I didn't really start moving with it until you said, "until I realized that some of the things I was writing weren’t real."

I think I can see what you are trying to do as far as style goes, but it doesn't really grab me. I also feel a little awkward reading this because it seems like I'm reading someone's journal.

Overall, I don't feel engaged with the character. I would like to see something of the story instead of just background.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Whitney
Member # 2176

- posted      Profile for Whitney   Email Whitney         Edit/Delete Post 
I felt very lost. The first paragraph almost reads like one long run-on sentence. It's said that you want to catch your reader in the middle of the action. My suggestion would be start this in the middle of the character's realization that something is different about himself as it relates to his journal, which I'm assuming is going to be some sort of turning point for your character that happens in later lines.

There also seems to be a lot of information about this character thrown at me all in short space of time. I think a lot of it could be given at a later time when we understand a little better how this character's journal will play a more direct role in this character's story.

I think I may be too vague to be very helpful but it's hard to know where you're going with this story. I would like to make a more specific suggestion for an opening line or a more grabbing beginning but since I still have yet to understand how the journal is going to move the story forward, I can't really give you anything constructive.

I was going to say something like "It all started because of the journal I kept." Cheesy, yes, but at least from that first sentence the reader is wondering first, what started, and second, why because a journal? It'll make them want to find out more.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
The idea is an interesting one. I want to keep reading because of that. The guy writing his life story down and realizing that he's ventured into the realm of fiction interests me. The language could use some reworking for the reasons already stated above, though.

I really like the idea, though. It's one I wish I thought of.

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited September 22, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by wetwilly (edited September 22, 2004).]

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Hope this doesn't come across as beatina dead horse but...I'm going to have to vote no on this opening.

This is not the first time I've seen stories that read like a person writing a journal or even talking out loud to the reader, but they've never worked for me and, to be honest, I've seen very few published. The few that I have seen published manage the feel without the experience of having to stumble across bad grammar and rambling asides. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Let me try this another way. I've commented on a narrative voice (both in first and ocassionally third person) that sounds too much like a character...that may be realistic in terms of its poor grammar and stream-of-consioussness but nevertheless is almost impenetrable to the reader. The author defends the work by saying that it's realistic and that he's trying to create a feel for a character who may be uneducated or just some average Joe, not really a writer himself.

The trouble is that it ends up coming across as if the author is trying to cover up for his own ineptness at writing. I am not saying that this is true please don't mistake my words...it just comes across that way. I think this is why editors don't seem to buy it and reader's (like the ones above) don't want to read it. My own stream of conscioussness is messy enough without having to try to understand someone else's.

So my humble suggestion, if you care to take it, is to drop the cover. Tell the story in easily navigable, well-written prose (it doesn't have to be poetry, that can stink of the unrealistic too). If first person works for you, use a first person narrator who is showing us the story rather than telling us about his own experience with it. Turn him into a story teller rather than some guy writing in a journal.

Just my suggestions take or leave 'em.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
cvgurau
Member # 1345

- posted      Profile for cvgurau   Email cvgurau         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

Thanks for the input, all. You've given me something to think about. Truthfully, I was kind of throwing feelers out here, to see how you felt. I'm not too attached to it, and was experimenting, a bit.

Christine. I think you're right. There were parts where I was thinking, as I wrote "Well, he's 13 years old. He's not going to sound like an adult. He's in middle school, not a college graduate." It does sound like I'm excusing myself, and that's a lame way to tell a story.

Thanks again,
CVG

[This message has been edited by cvgurau (edited September 23, 2004).]

Posts: 552 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, he may be 13-ish when the story takes place, but you could have the character tell the story when he's older, has more experience, and has better grammar.

For instance, SK's "The Body" (aka "Stand By Me"). The written story eludes me, but the movie itself is narrated by an older voice of the main character.

Then again, at 13 years old, grammar should be fairly well developed -- it won't be perfect (heck, mine still isn't 20 years later), but it should be decent.

Funnily enough (sorry for the tangent), User Guides and Instruction Manuals should be written for someone at a 7th grade reading level (about 12 or 13 yrs old). This may not seem like a big deal, but it's dreadfully hard to do when you're reading level is "college-plus."

Anyway, I'm actually intrigued by the story concept. I don't know where you're going to take it, but there's a part of me that's already guessing and second-guessing the plot/storyline.

Don't give up on it, tho'. Just keep hammering away at it. You never know, it could be your breakthrough story!

Best wishes.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
Too many parenthetical phrases. Take the time to construct your sentences and paragraphs so they say what you want without crutches.

You have given the reader no chance to establish sympathy with the viewpoint character. You have not yet earned the reader's investment in your character. The very first thing that happens is that the reader is suddenly plunged into an intense emotional landscape for which there was no preparation or warning. I was very much turned off and did not want to hear about anyone after their mother died. If you are already clear on the plot of your story, perhaps you can find a better place from which to begin it.

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.