Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "Of Might and Men"

Author Topic: "Of Might and Men"
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Salvete, everyone. Just wanted to get your opinions on this little intro. It's a sci-fi short that will (hopefully) weigh in at 5000 words when all's said and done. Not quite ready for readers...yet. Any and all comments are, as always, much appreciated.

---------------------------------------------

“Of Might and Men”

Pulses flashed down the station’s main corridor like a meteor shower from hell, slagging everything they touched. Molten metal dribbled from hundreds of glowing perforations in the bulkheads, cooling quickly in the breached station’s sudden lack of atmosphere. The fiery energy rounds stitched across a secured EAC plate, punching through the protective barrier with impunity.

The station’s Emergency Atmospheric Containment bulkheads were designed to repel the void of space and strong kinetic forces, not heavy weapons fire. That duty fell to the outer hull and its layers of formidable composite armor...layers the enemy had carved through like unprotected flesh. The containment plate crumpled as it hurtled across the corridor into the opposite bulkhead, the subdued clang of impact lost as rapidly as the rest of the breathable air. A bone-chilling shriek of explosive decompression accompanied the screams of several crewman as they were sucked from the compromised chamber.

The screamers were a bit luckier than those unable to empty their lungs, though all would lose consciousness after fifteen seconds or so. Without immediate rescue, pressure-based lung damage would not matter anyway. Contrary to popular belief, death from exposure to hard vacuum was not exceedingly violent. A human body would not instantly explode, flash-freeze, or simmer in its own vital fluid. Blood would only boil if its pressure fell below that of water vapor. Saliva, on the other hand....

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
You got some good action going on, here, but watch the cliches:

from hell

with impunity

bone-chilling

Contrary to popular belief

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited October 23, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GavinLoftin
Member # 1966

- posted      Profile for GavinLoftin   Email GavinLoftin         Edit/Delete Post 
Its quite an action packed beginning, but it didn't make me want to keep reading at all. I guess the problem is that you haven't even shown us a single character yet. In a short story only 5000 words long, its helpful to introduce your characters as quickly as possible so we can get to know them and hopefully care about them. Otherwise the reader is indifferent to the action.
The writing itself flowed quite well though.

Gavin

Posts: 25 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

quote:
Posted by Magic Beans:
You got some good action going on, here, but watch the cliches:

Ah. I thought for half a moment that you were referring to the title. Cliches in such a draft as this (needless to say, very rough) do not worry me, unless they greatly detract from the substance of the story or from its credibility. In your opinion, do these 'cliches' pose a threat to this story's overall integrity?

quote:
Posted by GavinLoftin:
I guess the problem is that you haven't even shown us a single character yet.

Actually, I was expecting this response, and had considered adressing it in my greeting/introduction. I've been playing around with a more objective opening sequence, and in doing so introduce the main character, a defender of the station, in the line immediately following this excerpt. I've read stories featuring a similar format, and plan to experiment with it until I'm sure it violates appropriate attention spans or otherwise.

Inkwell
------------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

[This message has been edited by Inkwell (edited October 23, 2004).]

djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
True there is a lot of stuff happening. But action packed?

The sentences are too long and descriptive to give me a sense of intensity. The described action is fast paced, but the language describing it is slow-moving.

Second, there is no POV character here for me to go along for the ride with. Including one would make me care a great deal more about what's happening--even if all I know right off is a name.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going with an "objective" opening, watch the editorials. Particularly the last paragraph.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In your opinion, do these 'cliches' pose a threat to this story's overall integrity?

Always.

What cliches really communicate (especially to your editor) is that you didn't put enough effort into your story to say something uniquely yours, in your own voice. When your work is strung together with borrowed stock phrases, cliches, and trite expressions, you have no presence or identity as a writer. Because of sheer repetition, cliches have absolutely no impact or effect upon the reader, who has seen them all a billion times before. Avoiding stock phrases, cliches, and trite expressions is one of the easiest things you can do to improve your writing.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The screamers were a bit luckier than those unable to empty their lungs, though all would lose consciousness after fifteen seconds or so. Without immediate rescue, pressure-based lung damage would not matter anyway. Contrary to popular belief, death from exposure to hard vacuum was not exceedingly violent. A human body would not instantly explode, flash-freeze, or simmer in its own vital fluid. Blood would only boil if its pressure fell below that of water vapor. Saliva, on the other hand....

I think you could remove the sentence starting with "Contrary to...". Although the death in abstract is not exceedingly violent, the scene in which the death takes place IS violent, and immediately personal. ie not abstract

The lack of an immediate introduction to a POV character doesn't bother me, but as a reader of a short story I would expect to be introduced to that person in the next paragraph or so.

Have you looked at how (the author's name escapes me) relates space battle scenes in her "Honor" series of novels? Someone please help me out here with the author's name.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
David Weber
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, David Weber, that's 'her'!

You see what an impact Honor made on me?

Inkwell
Member # 1944

I went back and revised the format of the intro, considering several of the extremely helpful points raised concerning the pace and viewpoint of the story. I'm fairly certain that the change from an 'objective format' to the more common 'rapid POV introduction' will stand out more than the secondary changes (though the latter represent a definite improvement, in my opinion...which is probably skewed ). Does this version flow better? Are the 'cliche difficulties' from the initial post less apparent and/or resolved? Please feel free to pick this new incarnation apart as you see fit. I like the overall feel of the intro (aesthetically speaking), but am not sure if it works in a structural sense.

“Of Might and Men”

Pulses flashed down the main corridor, briefly eclipsing the harsh glow of emergency lights as they slagged everything in sight. Molten metal sprayed from hundreds of perforations in the bulkheads, coagulating as it drifted in null gravity. The fiery energy rounds stitched across a secured atmospheric containment plate, punching through to hammer at the chamber hatch beyond.

On the opposite side of the bulkhead, Sergeant Alexander Rayne hurriedly activated the helmet seals of his combat suit, the rest of his squad rushing to do the same. He listened as the enemy pulse rounds penetrated the containment barrier, heard them strike the primary hatch. He glanced at his HUD, making sure the rest of the squad was ready. The hatch would only hold up for a few moments under that kind of firepower. One name glowed crimson in his tactical display.

“Harris...seal up, now!” Rayne’s command was lost in a howl of explosive decompression as the hatch vanished into the corridor. The mag-lock cells in both boots activated instantly, clamping his feet firmly to the deck. Harris, with armor only partially activated, was not so lucky. His bulky form was quickly sucked into the kill zone beyond, followed by the rest of the chamber’s atmosphere and one unoccupied combat helmet.

Inkwell
------------------
-Anonymous

Magic Beans
Member # 2183

Hey! That is much better! Excellent job on establishing POV and giving us somebody to care about. Now we know Sgt. Rayne has to see his men through, and now we have somebody to root for.

There is just one more task you need to accomplish, now, and that is to let us know where we are. Unless your plot has an extremely powerful for reason for keeping us in the dark, because the surprise of it affects the story, you should let us know exactly where we are:

quote:
Pulses flashed down the main corridor of the USSF Hullaballoo,

I couldn't tell if we were on a ship in the depths of space or on a space station, so you can see how important this is. If you don't want to weave it into your narration, simply preface the story with it:

quote:

Space Station Triton
Geosynchronous orbit above Earth

Pulses flashed down the main corridor, briefly eclipsing the harsh glow of emergency lights as they slagged everything in sight. Molten metal...

If the rest of your story reads as good as this, you've got something totally publishable on your hands, but consider establishing location immediately, just as you have done with POV.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited October 25, 2004).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Excellent rewrite! You do know how to focus it in, don't you!

Following are some (I hope helpful) nitpicks.

quote:

Pulses flashed down the main corridor, briefly eclipsing the harsh glow of emergency lights as they slagged everything in sight.

There's probably some apprpriate writer's term for this, but I don't know it. Watch out for confusing the reader regarding the object. Did the emergency lights slag everything in sight? And pulses of what? How about "Energy pulses..."?

quote:
Molten metal sprayed from hundreds of perforations in the bulkheads, coagulating as it drifted in null gravity. The fiery energy rounds stitched across a secured atmospheric containment plate, punching through to hammer at the chamber hatch beyond.

I was going to nitpick about using 'coagulating', but after reading the definition [coagulation is the process of forming semisolid lumps in a liquid] I decided that I was wrong. I like the indirect analogy to injuries and blood. So, my nitpick is nitpicked, and found wanting!

Good rewrite!

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I completely agree with what's been said above. This is so much better!
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
WAY so much better.

One thing to improve even more:
The first five sentences are almost identical in length and structure. Vary them. Spinkle some shorties in there. Break them up. Short sentences convey a feeling of fast-paced action. Long sentences--particularly when they don't vary in length and structure--slow things WAY down.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Good point, dakota.

It would be intersting to see this paragraph shown more than told, by the insertion of bits of terse dialogue:

quote:
On the opposite side of the bulkhead, Sergeant Alexander Rayne hurriedly activated the helmet seals of his combat suit, the rest of his squad rushing to do the same. He listened as the enemy pulse rounds penetrated the containment barrier, heard them strike the primary hatch. He glanced at his HUD, making sure the rest of the squad was ready. The hatch would only hold up for a few moments under that kind of firepower. One name glowed crimson in his tactical display.

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

BTW, I 'm assuming that most of your readers will associate the acronym HUD with 'heads up display' rather than 'humanoid underground dweller'. Was anyone confused by 'HUD'?
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I think HUD is definitely common enough to use without explanation.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I had no idea what HUD was, but it was clear enough from the context that I didn't even hesitate to wonder.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

HUD's not a problem for me. CHUDs, on the other hand...

But the more I thought about (like a couple seconds), the more HUD may be inappropriate. Heads up displays are projected onto the display surface in reverse from below, but the display device itself is actual size, is it not? Works great in a plane or a car, where you've got just as much dashboard as canopy or windshield on which to to project. Methinks a space helmet is a bit cramped for something like that.

However, since this is the future (trumpets, please), simple language that infers high technology should suffice. Something that indicates the display is built into the helmet visor itself if you want to keep all the interfaces extra-biological.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"Heads Up Display" simply refers to the fact that you can see it without looking away from whatever you look at while your head is "up".

Helicopter pilots already use helmet mounted versions, if it comes to that. These devices are about the size of a small flashlight and use a lens to focus the display image.

Anyway, the second version is a clear improvement.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

Oh, yes. I had forgotten about those. Silly me.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.