Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Otter Sons - rewrite (1200 words) - please critique

Author Topic: Otter Sons - rewrite (1200 words) - please critique
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Anthropomorphic Fantasy - for pre-teens.

First few lines follow:

On the western shore of Lake Llanquihue the sun rising over the Andes brought warmth to the den. Binque and Flaque waited, eyeing each other behind their Father’s broad back, waiting for him to wake, eyes gleaming with mischief. As the sun warmed the den, their Father relaxed in the warmth and after a time he stretched, snorted and fluffed his tail. He was Otter Tribe, Father was, and proud of it. He was big even for an Otter tribesman, and as wide sideways as he was tall. Others sometimes said that he was Otter Half-bear and not a pure-bred Otter at all. This made Father laugh when he heard it.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look at it, although for some reason your first opening caught my attention more. I think the tone felt more whimsical and playful.
Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mike I will take a look.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, guys. It's not much, but it's all I have at the moment.

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look if you still need readers.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi mike

I'd love to have another look.

R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Michaelpfs
Member # 2209

- posted      Profile for Michaelpfs   Email Michaelpfs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is an excellent revision. Adding actual characters adds needed tension to the story (tension - a four letter word around these parts lately). I think you did a great job of making the story more accessable to a younger audience without sacraficing the beautiful language.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, golly, if it's that significantly changed, I'd like another read of it myself. *g*

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Triarius
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Triarius   Email Triarius         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read it too. I've had a little experience with real otters in the wild, and this strikes me as catching something of their attitude.

Binque and Flaque waited, eyeing each other behind their Father’s broad back, waiting for him to wake, eyes gleaming with mischief.

I'd rewrite this slightly: Binque and Flaque eyed each other behind their father's broad back, waiting for him to wake; their eyes gleaming with mischief.

or:

Binque and Flaque waited, eyeing each other behind their Father’s broad back, their eyes gleaming with mischief as they waited for him to wake.

Or:

Binque and Flaque waited behind their father's broad back for him to wake, their eyes gleaming mischief at each other.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwalchmai
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Gwalchmai   Email Gwalchmai         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind taking a look either. I've a little bit of spare time and this looks interesting.
Posts: 156 | Registered: Nov 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thanks all. I've sent it to you. It is just a piece, and I hope it is better, but I am still struggling very hard with it. I beleive it can be MUCH improved, so please fire away!!!
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in YA and teen fiction and would like to take a look, if you're still looking readers. My 12 year old daughter said she might read it too.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.