Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Wind song - first 13 lines reworked

Author Topic: Wind song - first 13 lines reworked
ender39
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for ender39   Email ender39         Edit/Delete Post 
I rewrked the first 13 lines of a story I posted earlier. The advice about the overuse of adjectives was very helpful. Did I pull it off? Any other advice? Let me know. Here goes:

The winds that drift over land and sea carry with them songs of the trials of man, sung only for those who are able to hear. Solemn is the Listening, for in each song, the heart of the world is spoken. Kinh was one of the few in all the earth to still hear the songs that drifted over the emerald valley stretching beyond his threshold. He sat alone, patiently awaiting each breeze that came in to dance among the lapping flames of his hearth, and mingled his thoughts with the words it carried. Such a breeze, a bitter draft, brushed through his dark, woolen locs. Before it could feed itself to the fire, Kinh needed to hear its song. He raised his hand gently, resting his elbow on the arm of his chair, and moved his outstretched fingers slightly. He closed his eyes and thought with words long forgotten, words that were spoken only by the air of the earth. The breeze danced between his fingers, feeling his filial comfort. It mingled with the contours of his hand, excited with Kinh’s understanding soul, as if it longed to tell its tale. This breeze carried despair and had sought out Kinh’s flame to extinguish itself, taking with it a bit of the anguish of the world. He listened to the tale it told, ardent for the meaning of its intent.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall seeing the other one, but this one works for me. Do you have more of it completed?
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the better things I've read here in a while. My only complaint is the sexist use of the word "man" rather than humankind, humanity, the human race, or humans. If you are specifically excluding women from this because of a gender-based division of labor in your story, then what you really mean is "men" plural, not "man" as in outdated, oppressive language.
Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. It felt more novelish to me, rather than short story.

Oh, and please use paragraphs. Big blocks of text scare me.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
ender39
Member # 2222

There's more, just not a finished work. I am aggressively pounding at it now, and want to be finished soon. The idea has been plaguing me, and has only taken shape recently. Kind of like a virus; the physical symptoms come long after the infection has gotten in. ANyway, if interested, please let me know and I will send the finished work via Yahoo to your e-mail.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My only complaint is the sexist use of the word "man" rather than humankind, humanity, the human race, or humans. If you are specifically excluding women from this because of a gender-based division of labor in your story, then what you really mean is "men" plural, not "man" as in outdated, oppressive language.

Ah, MagicBeans. You know I love you, but did you never read 1984? 'Politically correct' language is one of a series of steps toward Newspeak. (Another book I recommend highly that makes some humorously told comments on the idiocy of forcing language change for political reasons is Ella Minnow Pea.) I mean, if you REALLY want to be non-sexist, then humankind doesn't work either. Nor does human. So shouldn't he just use 'bipedal life forms'? Or would that be oppressing non-living things?

ender, I must agree with everyone about the VAST improvement you've made here. While you're still somewhat adjective heavy, it's not overly noticeable, and could easily be chalked up to style, rather than simply iffy writing quality.

The one thing I would caution you on further is your sentence structure. Some of them run on a bit, making me gasp for breath by the end.

quote:
He sat alone, patiently awaiting each breeze that came in to dance among the lapping flames of his hearth, and mingled his thoughts with the words it carried.

Prime example. Could be broken up into two sentences, thus making the ideas you want to convey more coherent AND giving you the opportunity to spend a bit more time beautifully telling about how the breeze carries words that mingle with his thoughts. I feel as if you're trying to pile on too much information a bit too quickly.

In order to accomplish what you are trying to do (ie. have a beginning that better draws in the reader with some promise or expectation of conflict) you might be better served to begin this scene with:

quote:
He(Kinh) closed his eyes and thought with words long forgotten, words that were spoken only by the air of the earth. The breeze danced between his fingers, feeling his filial comfort. It mingled with the contours of his hand, excited with Kinh’s understanding soul, as if it longed to tell its tale.

Afterward you could simply rearrange the rest of the information, thus including it all, but giving us a person and an action to grasp onto right up front.

I do, also, concur that it needs paragraphs. Big chunks scare me too--especially at the beginning.

Oh, and I'm not really all that thrilled with the use of the present tense in the first two sentences--unless they are more clearly represented as poetry or scripture running through Kinh's thoughts?

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited November 20, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited November 20, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
You could probably get away with the present --> past tense shift by making the first two lines a separate paragraph.

As for sexist words, well such that comes from the mind of the reader. We attach labels to words beyond the meaning they first had.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
"What's wrong with being sexy?"
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing is wrong with being sexy--especially if your name is Survivor!

_ _
>*<

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
One word to describe the improvement here: dramatic.
Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ender39
Member # 2222

The use of man was an oversight - I usually don't do that, but it does give the story a dated authenticity (a possible bit of history?)

Anyway, thank you to those who responded with such resounding support. As I wrote this, I felt different about the story as a whole, and have been able to think aobut it more often as a whole story.

cicerocat
Member # 2138

- posted      Profile for cicerocat   Email cicerocat         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The use of man was an oversight - I usually don't do that, but it does give the story a dated authenticity (a possible bit of history?)

I wouldn't change it to a PC form, unless the character would speak differently (PC). It all depends on the character/narrator and his voice.

Oh, and on the story itself, it has a definite feel or voice to it, a richness of words to it. Which is nice. It also seems a tad unusual--which is good; it stands out from others in its genre. However, the repetition (either directly or indirectly) of wind got a little annoying to me, making me wonder if it some of it could be more concise. And this line "Solemn is the Listening"--it made me wonder if it was a phrase or a typo (on the L) or something else.

Cya,
CC

[This message has been edited by cicerocat (edited November 23, 2004).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.