Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » First 13 lines

Author Topic: First 13 lines
Castaway
Member # 2201

- posted      Profile for Castaway   Email Castaway         Edit/Delete Post 
Chapter One
Elise Ervine, sat at the counter of her bookshop waiting for a customer to come through the narrow wooden door. A light brown curl separated from the twist on top of her head and tumbled down between her pale blue eyes. She brushed it aside and continued to stare out the window that opened onto a narrow cobbled street. It was a very slow day. Most days were slow in the village of Myerstown, but this one was extremely slow.
Elise, an ordinary woman, went to great lengths to ensure that her life remained as ordinary as possible as she had a most extraordinary secret. She kept to herself, minded her own business and took care of her son. Jake attended the local school where many of the students called him ‘the nerd’ due to the fact that he passed all exams, did all his homework and never back-answered the teacher. To Jake, life was extremely ordinary but unknown to him, and all other humans, an extraordinary set of events were beginning to evolve that would ensure that Jakes life would be nothing less than unbelieveable.

[This message has been edited by Castaway (edited November 26, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Castaway (edited November 26, 2004).]

Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
First, whose story is this? We start out with Elise, but by the end of the segment I'm fairly certain we're going to hear Jake's story. Which ties in with POV. The first sentence takes us directly into a POV character, making me believe quite firmly that the POV you are using is 3rd limited. But the last two sentences shift to Jake's POV. PIck one and stick to it.

Second, the first paragraph is WAY too adjective heavy. There are four instances in which you have two adjectives to describe something--narrow wooden door, light brown curl, pale blue eyes, narrow cobbled street. Most of that stuff I don't even need to know.

Of the two paragraphs, as far as characterization, the second is the most interesting. You could probably just eliminate the first paragraph altogether, or move it further into the text. I like the second paragraph because it tells me something about Elise and Jake AND it sets up for the story's conflict. The first paragraph does neither.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with djvdakota. Also, tone down the unbelieveability of what is going to happen. You have me believing I won't believe it, and if that is the case I won't read it.

Sounds like a good story, though. I look forward to seeing more of it.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Castaway
Member # 2201

Thankyou djvdakota for your comments. I have taken your ideas on board and will re write to make improvements based upon your skilled POV.
There is something I would like to add about your style of criticism. As I read your comments, images of a dump truck depositing its load on someones doorstep rolled through my mind.
Is it possible that you may find something redeemable about my piece or is this all you can see of value to comment upon.

I evaluate peoples work for a living and I am always aware of the human element. I may be wrong but this is not a forum for people to puff up their egos by critising but more for encouraging and offering ideas for improvement. If I wish to be shredded I would simply send it to my editor.

To MikeMunsil
Thank you also for your comments and your words of encouragements. I do appreciate them.

[This message has been edited by Castaway (edited November 27, 2004).]

Phanto
Member # 1619

- posted      Profile for Phanto   Email Phanto         Edit/Delete Post 
Castaway: Before I add my comments, which I shall do shortly, let me point out that djvdakita's comments were extermely reasonable. And even if it wasn't, even if she said, "This sucks. Narf. Throw it out. *giggle*," you would be in the wrong if you replied by throwing a tantrum.

This is a forum to give feedback on fragments or to ask for full stories. It is not to stroke egos, like you said. It is for honesty, for brutual truth, and if the reviewer feels like being extra-nice, a few compliments.

In fact, she did give you several compliments. Her review is the epitome of a usful posting; it may not be perfect, but what is?

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited November 29, 2004).]

Posts: 697 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

Quote: Elise Ervine, sat at the counter of her bookshop waiting for a customer to come through the narrow wooden door.

a) No comma after "Ervine."
b) As a story opener, this is fairly passive. But that can be redressed later; no tension so far, but some shall arrive soon to compel the reader on. Hopefully.

Quote: A light brown curl separated from the twist on top of her head and tumbled down between her pale blue eyes

a) This is absurd character description. Not only that, it is blatant. Almost as bad as: "Elise Ervine looked in the mirror, taking in her light brown hair and pale blue eyes."
b) At this point in the story, where no tension exists, no mystery, we, the readers, are not ready for such side-tours. We need a reason to read, the sooner the better. The more compelling, the better. Hair and eyes do not fall into this category.

Quote: She brushed it aside and continued to stare out the window that opened onto a narrow cobbled street.

a) Are you aware that you are using the exact same form as in your first sentence? "narrow wooden door" = "narrow cobbled street"

b) Are you aware that this is as boring for the readers as it is for the character? No, that is not by itself a disqualifing factor. However, this approach is full of danger. And sooner or later, you must give a reason to read!

Quote: It was a very slow day. Most days were slow in the village of Myerstown, but this one was extremely slow.

The second sentence feels awkward. No idea why.

Quote: Elise, an ordinary woman, went to great lengths to ensure that her life remained as ordinary as possible as she had a most extraordinary secret.

Fair enough. I'd advise eliminating the first appositive.

Quote: Jake attended the local school where many of the students called him ‘the nerd’ due to the fact that he passed all exams, did all his homework and never back-answered the teacher

a) This is what we call a PoV shift. You are doing it amazingly rapidly. One second, we sit with her, being bored. The next, we with Jake, being called "the nerd."

It is extremely disorienting and by itself a reason to stop reading.

Quote: To Jake, life was extremely ordinary but unknown to him, and all other humans, an extraordinary set of events were beginning to evolve that would ensure that Jakes life would be nothing less than unbelieveable.

a) Wait a second. I thought it was Elise who had the extraordinary secret?

---------------------------------------

As a whole, this piece suffers from an attempt to establish tension through the opposite of tension: slow pace, high amount of vaguness, and little empathy.

Good luck!

Magic Beans
Member # 2183

- posted      Profile for Magic Beans   Email Magic Beans         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with previous comments. My own specific observation is the repetition of the words ordinary and extraordinary.

On the plus side, you have introduced two characters, a setting (what state, though?), and an initial conflict (secret vs. ordinary) all right away. I think that deserves some praise, but take the criticism seriously.

[This message has been edited by Magic Beans (edited November 28, 2004).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Castaway
Member # 2201

I have. Every word of it.
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's quite possible that the POV problems are due to lack of clarity rather than an actual POV shift.
quote:
Jake attended the local school where many of the students called him ‘the nerd’ due to the fact that he passed all exams, did all his homework and never back-answered the teacher.
Jake is Elise's son. Is it so hard to believe that she would know this?
quote:
To Jake, life was extremely ordinary but unknown to him, and all other humans, an extraordinary set of events were beginning to evolve that would ensure that Jakes life would be nothing less than unbelieveable. italcs added
No way is this sentence from Jake's point of view. But is it from Elise's? Well . . . only if she isn't human. And if she isn't, why is her son? Questions like this need to be answered very, very soon or the reader will lose patience. Perhaps you do that in the next paragraph or so.

Basically I agree with all the comments on other topics. Particularly the one about sniping back at critiquers (though if you really feel the need to snipe, I hereby give you permission to snipe at me). This is a place to learn. Take what you find useful and be thankful for it. I'll grant you that some critiques can be extremely offensive, and that's not good--ignore them. But Dakota's was not in that category. It was honest, but not insulting. Take advantage of it.

Edit:
Castaway--we cross-posted. That's the correct attitude. If you pay attention to critiques, even when they hurt, I've got no argument with you. And, in fact, my daughter points out that paying attention to the advice is not the same as taking it. Just consider it carefully.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited November 28, 2004).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Castaway
Member # 2201

Thankyou Rickfisher
I think that somewhere in there my message was lost. I do very much appreciate the comments and advice other wise i wouldn't post anything. I am working on the original advice given as we speak.

Phanto
Member # 1619

Mind you, I understand the temptation to respond... At everypoet.org, one of the most respected people told me not to write serious, metrical poetry for several years.

Yowch.

Well, I guess I deserved it for not spending enough time on my poetry, but it still burns ^^.

Castaway
Member # 2201

Yes that would smart!
But my question is could that message have been given in a manner that did not cause lasting pain for you and still get the message across?
Also with the knowledge that they were one of the most respected writers on that site surely that their word would carry it's weight without being so blatantly cruel.
That is the point I am trying to make. Where did this culture of creative abuse come from?

I apologise to djvdakota as I do not put her comments in this category.

I still maintain that valid points can be made both positive and negative without harming creative confidence. There is no need for it.

[This message has been edited by Castaway (edited November 28, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Castaway (edited November 28, 2004).]

Phanto
Member # 1619

I agree that a good critique should not hurt feelings. It should be purely focused on the text at hand. But, for instance, if the text at hand is this:

quote:

I walked home. He was screaming. He was my brother. He was born 1957. I was born 1970. The dog? It wasn't born until 1975! Now, isn't that funny?

My critique would be:

This text really does not make logical sense. We start with "I" walking home. OK. Then we have him screaming. OK. Then we digress into weird flashbacks about dogs.

This really makes no sense. It could be that you are trying too hard to make this literary and such; focus on the future on being clear. It does, however, make me laugh. If that's what you're going for, you've succeeded. Just quickly switch into a more rational mode that makes sense ^^.

----------------------------------

But anyway, I pretty much agree that critiques should not be given to insult.

*shrug*
*is caught in massive verbal knot and delays untangling it until later ^^*

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited November 28, 2004).]

Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for readers or just comments on the first few lines? How long is the piece?
Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I found nothing in Dakota's post that would hurt creative confidence only something in yours that would stop someone from wanting to critique your work. If you are so sensitive I suggest you do not post your work on an open forum - you are leaving yourself open to criticism. I am sure you mean well, but very simply, Dakota is giving your piece the same analysis that an editor would. It seems harsh, but so is the business.

Given that, she did say some positive things about it, and I wish she would do a critque for me...hint hint...lol

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to the many who've stuck their necks out for me.

I try VERY hard to give an HONEST, SUPPORTIVE critique, Castaway. Simply the fact that I posted at all means that I felt I could contribute something to help you improve. That's what this forum is for. If you came here for gushing praise--deserved or not--you're in the wrong place. I WOULD be interested in understanding exactly what I said that caused your 'creative confidence' harm. Y

My time is valuable. I'll not waste it on you again.
No hard feelings, but even a stupid dog doesn't touch the shock wire twice.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited November 29, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is something I would like to add about your style of criticism. As I read your comments, images of a dump truck depositing its load on someones doorstep rolled through my mind.

Castaway, djdvdakota provides insightful, detailed critiques that provide great value. She is not afraid to praise, nor to point out weaknesses. I prefer the latter and appreciate the time she spends doing it.

* Praise encourages, but it rarely teaches.
* Objective, dispasionate critiques teach.
* Negative criticism hurts.

Decide whether you need praise most, or critiques most. Ask people likely to praise to review your work when you need praise. We all need praise from time to time, nothing wrong with that.

Ask people likely to critique to criticize your work when you need teaching. We all need to learn and to continue learning.

Stay away from people who can only provide negative criticism. That does not include dvdjdakota. She's objective.

Learn from this and carry on. You have promise.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 1619

[Edited original post above for proper pronouns; forgive me djvdakota!]

Well said, mikemunsil. As an added thought, objective critiques can HURT like bloody hellfire. Especially when your work is bad quality. On the other hand, objective critiques can spark great pleasure when your work is any good.

[This message has been edited by Phanto (edited November 29, 2004).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
This is where I suggest that fragment posters specify what they want from the forum.

For this case, I'm going to suggest that you use a new thread to do that, Castaway. Go through this carefully, rewrite it based on your own feelings of what you're trying to accomplish, and post a new thread in which you start off by informing everyone of the genre and length of the piece, as well as how you feel about feedback on the fragment itself and whether you want readers (and for how much, usually you'll do best by offering something less than 20 pages).

Oh, and my random snipe, you tell us that Elsie has an extraordinary secret and then don't tell us what it is. This is "cheating" the POV no matter how you look at things. The only reason to do something like this is to make fun of writers that do it, so don't

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.