Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sigurd's Bane

Author Topic: Sigurd's Bane
J. Stewart
Member # 2262

- posted      Profile for J. Stewart   Email J. Stewart         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the opening. Feel free to blast away.

Sigurd’s Bane

Some men are born evil. Perhaps they are cursed by the gods. Perhaps their souls are warped, or maybe they are plagued by demons. Whatever the cause, such men are evil, and will always be so.
Ogrimm Snakesson was such a man. He always loved blood and inflicting pain upon others, even from a young age. He was a terror in his father’s steading, stabbing and burning servants at random, or torturing the cats in the kitchens. His father tried to control his violent tendencies, but his mother encouraged his vicious behavior.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I disagree that anyone is ever born evil but this is your soap box.

" He always loved blood "

I think this should either be "He loved blood..." or "He had always loved blood..."

" but his mother encouraged his vicious behavior." ...see...he wasn't born evil it was his mom.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like it. Your first line especially is everything you want a first line to be--strong, compelling, intriguing.

Couple of suggestions:

<Perhaps they are cursed by the gods. Perhaps their souls are warped, or maybe they are plagued by demons >

You have a nice rhythm based on the reptition of "perhaps." I would encourage you to use it all the way through the sentence. So instead of perhaps . . . perhaps . . . maybe ; you'd have perhaps . . . perhaps . . . perhaps.
I hope that made sense.

My second suggestion involves point of view ("POV"). The paragraph currently seems to be coming from an omniscient, godlike POV. And it works fine that way. But it might be more interesting if it came from the POV of a particular person.

I say this because the first line makes a very definite moral judgement. It's fine to set that moral judgment as truth in the world of your story--but it might be more interesting to see it come from a character. Especially considering how strongly the point is stated.

[This message has been edited by J (edited December 09, 2004).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kathmandau
Member # 2254

- posted      Profile for kathmandau   Email kathmandau         Edit/Delete Post 
<His father tried to control his violent tendencies

Would it be better as "His father tried to control Ogrimm's violent tendencies" or is this too picky?

I also like the overall rhythm.

On a philosophical perspective, since I do not believe in an objective value of the term 'evil', I am inclined to agree with the idea of a particular person for POV, thereby making the subjective assessment of 'evil'

Posts: 17 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to clarify my earlier post, in light of (and without denigrating) kathmandu's comments.

I suggest making the statement come from the POV of a character not because I or anyone else agrees or disagrees with the moral judgment it makes. I think such absolute moral conviction, stated as fact, would make for an interesting and compelling character.

[This message has been edited by J (edited December 09, 2004).]

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!

Nice. Are you looking for people to read more? How much (by word count)?

I'm willing to accept the moral statement for the purposes of the story--though I don't necessarily agree with it. And I'm not particularly in agreement with the others above to focus in on a POV character right away. I think you can bring in the POV character in the next paragraph or two and still be able to maintain the integrity of what you have here. It is not outside the realm of style to begin a scene with a few paragraphs of Omniscient before zeroing in on a POV--in fact, it's quite common.

What I would really like to see is a progression of atrocities as Ogrimm ages. Show me what he would do as a baby, then as a boy, then as an adolescent, rather than a series of examples that could have been done at any stage in his development.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited December 09, 2004).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think you needd to have a definite POV yet either, but then I've always believed in the "free paragraph."
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Stewart
Member # 2262

- posted      Profile for J. Stewart   Email J. Stewart         Edit/Delete Post 
This opening is in an omniscient POV for a reason. Ogrimm is not the protagonist of the story. He is the antagonist. He is the nemesis of the hero, Sigurd. Hence the name of the story.

And I definitely disagree about there being no absolute evil. I have seen it.

I have finished the rough draft of the story and it is a little over 9,000 words. Let me know if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing.

Posts: 9 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Give us Ogrimm's story from Sigurd's viewpoint, then. Or something like that.

As for being born evil...as far as you describe this, that pretty much fits all humans. Children love to inflict pain and they adore the sight of blood from infancy. Most of them grow out of it fairly quickly, but a mother that encouraged such behavior would probably stunt that particular aspect of moral development. It is a bit curious that any mother would encourage a child's natural ruthlessness, since mother's are the primary victims of infants.

Anyway, did you want people to do anything other than blast away?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.