Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Second Chance - first 13 lines

Author Topic: Second Chance - first 13 lines
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I was working on. Atm I am debating the POV. I was thinking it might be better to start with the POV of the security guard rather than the 3rd person I'm in right now. Then once the protaganist is introduced moving to his POV. The Protaganist is the accident victim in the ambulance that you hear in the last line.

I was also debating on whether to entirely skip the setup and drop directly into the POV of the protagonist as he is coming to at the hospital, or maybe start with smatterings of consciousness as he is brought in, but this seemed like it would be too confusing. Anyway here is the first 13..

SECOND CHANCE

The air was brisk and clear, a typical October night, the wind rustling through the dying leaves and crickets chirruping serenely in the forest. Harsh lights illuminate the UAB West emergency entrance.

A heavyset black security guard leans comfortably on the beige brick of the front wall, his fleshy left hand gripping a worn and well read paperback, his right hand periodically moving a smoldering cigarette up to his mouth and then mechanically flipping the ashes onto the ground. The guard stretches, exhaling a long stream of smoke into the moist night air, he glances briefly at his watch, noting it's 3:00 AM, his shift half over. He returns his gaze to his grubby book and takes another drag on his cigarette. Sliding doors beside him open and a petite young black woman, in nurses pink scrubs, pokes her head out.

“Car crash coming in Horace, might wanna finish your break.”, she chides, then slips back into the lobby and returns to her seat behind the admissions desk.

“Damn Dorita...,” he mutters tossing the cigarette into a nearby ashtray, shuffling, he ambles back into the emergency room entrance, carefully wiping his feet on the mat out front. The droning of an ambulance siren builds in the distance, silencing the crickets and breaking the serenity of the otherwise quiet evening.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. Welcome to Hatrack, if I haven't welcomed you already. It's so hard to keep track. :rolleyes

OK. I'm OK with coming at this first scene from the POV of someone who is going to be (I assume) unimportant to your story. I've done that a couple of times myself. Just be sure you don't penetrate too deeply into who they are or I'll want them to become important. No last names, no time spent making us really care very much about them or how they feel or how hard their lives are or what they look like.

About the POV switch, make sure it happens at a natural breaking point--a chapter or scene break.

And if you wrote the protagonist's POV in smatterings of consciousness I think I would be very annoyed with you. In fact, if you wrote from his POV without him being "all there" I'd probably have a hard time believing that he is aware enough to be a reliable Point of View from which to show the scene--what with all those pain killers fogging his mind and such.

About your fragment, it's not bad.
The first line bothers me a little, for a couple of reasons:
1. The first line begins in past tense, but the rest of the fragment is in present tense. And I'd question the wisdom of writing in present tense, mostly because I don't particularly like it--which would make it my opinion, I suppose.
2. That first line tends to contradict the setting for the rest of the scene. You introduce me to fall in the forest, then zoom in on a hospital emergency room entrance. I don't normally associate forests and hospitals. If you want me to you've got to get me there with some more in depth scene-setting.

Overall, if the tense were made consistent I'd have to say this fragment draws me in. I mean, really. Emergency room. Accident victims coming in. What more tension do you need for an opener?

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I also felt drawn in, I could easily see this developing a very Tony Hillerman feel to it. Attention to natural beauty and personal musings. Some readers don't like us showing them the settings though, they find it distracting. In some cases I think they are right, But I think in this case it could work.

[This message has been edited by JBSkaggs (edited December 21, 2004).]

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
katrinaro
Member # 2278

- posted      Profile for katrinaro   Email katrinaro         Edit/Delete Post 
Problems I see:

1. The name of the hospital having initials immediately jerks me out of the story.

2. Okay, I know you are going to roll your eyes at this but please - Can you consider not saying "black security guard"? It is depending on stereotype to build your character. Say something like "very dark skinned" or "yellow toned" or something besides just black. Some African American men are insulted to be called just "black." (I know a guy from south africa who is insulted to be called "african american" and then says "I'm a black African!") It is just touchy. Find another way to describe your characters as individuals instead of stating their race off the bat. Also, its like saying we have nurses and then we have black nurses -- see the problem there? No, I am not being oversensitive.

3. I do want to see what is going on. It's a fine scene you've got going on.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

Hmm, heh used the name of the actual hospital about 10 miles from my house since the story is going to start here, so I was using a real landmark. University of Alabama West Hospital seemed a mouthful and everyone calls it UAB West.

I understand the issue with "black", obviously being a white male I tend to be less aware of those issues than someone that isn't a white male. Replacing it with ebony skinned or something to that effect would definately be better.

Thanks!

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I see no plot reason why, at this point in the story, you should call out the race of the security guard or the nurse. Of course, later on there may be a suitable reason for it, but then I'm sure that you could find other ways to describe the charcters that lead the reader to assume that they are 'black'.

Ask yourself, are their racial characteristics critical to the story? If not, then perhaps it would be best to let the reader apply their unconscious assumptions and/or stereotypes to the story. No need for you to do it, when we're all so clearly capable of jumping to assumptions or stacking up stereotypes on our own.

*grinning* I can just see myself now, jumping from stable ground to a slippery, shaky assumption, or stacking up stereotypes into a rickety ladder.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think identifying race and gender is tricky, but I think it's important, especially if the character is not of the race/gender that the reader is going to unthinkingly assume. Even if the race/gender is totally unimportant to teh story, that information can add a little texture and realism.

One of the best examples I've seen of this is in one of Sue Grafton's books (no idea which one). She writes something along the lines of "The electrician came at 9:00. She was done half an hour later." This totally unobtrusively slips in the gender information - a sentence like "The female electrician came at 9:00" would be just awful.

Saying "The black security guard" follows the same pattern as "the female electrician" but it is way harder to work in race information than gender. I don't know how to do that - but "black security guard" has the same overtones to me as a phrase like "female electrician" or "girl mechanic" would.

I don't think I'm explaining this right. But would you ever write "the white security guard"? No. (unless to distinguish him from his black coworker, maybe.)

IMO, etc.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with mm, there is no reason at this point to specify the race of the guard, since we have no reason to care (and by appearing to think that we should, you end up looking bigoted, which is an extra downside). If it is going to matter later, heres a neat trick...wait till later to reveal that he's black, and the moment will have more impact. Why? Because it communicates that everyone else thought it wouldn't be a big deal that he was black.

Racial characteristics are a slightly special case, of course, but not that special. Just as it is a bad idea to hit the reader over the head with loving descriptions of absolutely trivial matters such as the hairstyle and eye-color of various characters for no reason other than because the author hopes that specific actors will play those roles when it is made into a movie, so too skin-color/eye-shape/nose-length.

Now, the fact that he's a heavyset smoker leaning against the wall while he reads a paperback tells us something possibly important about the scene, so I don't have a problem with it. I suppose that the fact that the nurse is "petite" might be interesting if that implies that she is unusually physically attractive. Since petite is used this way in certain circles, it could pass...but only with people who understood "petite" to mean "almost a supermodel", which is hardly the entire English speaking world.

Still, my main problem with this piece would have to be the POV and tense. I also see nothing here that would justify the scene at all. Starting with the POV of your protagonist as he is brought into the hospital is fine, even if he's not terribly "with it".

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
katrinaro
Member # 2278

- posted      Profile for katrinaro   Email katrinaro         Edit/Delete Post 
One other point is that we have far to few characters of color in our stories. If we try to include such characters, we get the politically incorrect option. If we leave them out, then we are racist bast*rds. Its a difficult problem. How do other people feel about it?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone's black, and it's relevant, say they're black. If it's not relevant, but it's still adding spice, detail, etc., say they're black.
If it's just a black guy, and that's it, then who cares? Say he's black or don't or, here's my opinion: make him an Eskimo.
Those guys get far too little play in fiction, and people would keep reading just to see if he's going to do something Eskimoish.

(Not racist, just amused. Feel free to make Irish jokes at my expense.)

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

His or her race was not relevant to the scene and the desciptions have been altered to reflect this :-)

Both characters are basic wind dressing to make the hospital entrance a little more interesting and from my visits to the late night emergency room, I can say that an overweight security guard smoking is pretty much the norm around here.

On the issue of petite, it was simply there to give an idea to the reader what she may look like. In my personal experience most nurses (yes this is a generalization) are, um, heavy set, due to the amount of time they spend at the hospital and the lack of time they have for physical exercise. Also they generally have to eat on the run and tend to have to eat less than healthy food. So by describing her as petite I was conflicting the image of a late night desk nurse that in my mind and I assumed that of the readers mind. A clear situation of my own personal experiences unnecessarilly coloring my writing.

I know there are some significant tense problems. I've gone back a tuned different parts at different times and haven't sat down and gone through the whole thing to unify the tense. I know that's a pretty lame excuse...

Thanks for all the input, it's amazing how much commentary can be generated over so little actual work.

Survivor
Member # 213

Heh, civilians.
utah1692
Member # 2299

- posted      Profile for utah1692   Email utah1692         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe i came in on this late, but i thought that it was just a little odd that over half the comments on this piece were about his description of the man as black. just some food for thought. we can all get hung up on some pretty weird stuff, i guess.

on the other hand, hunt, i thought what you did with action description was good. you kept apace and the story moved along, but all the while we (well, i at least) could actually see what was going on. good job.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It was brought up early in the conversation. Really, my main criticism was that the entire scene served no real purpose.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.