Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Soup Tureen and a Bag of Cash

Author Topic: A Soup Tureen and a Bag of Cash
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Finished intro:
The piece is done, and I dub thee:

A Soup Tureen and a Bag of Cash

Sunday, that blissful day overshadowed by the coming Monday, is for sleeping. Oh, there’s football, and meatball subs ordered in, and Sunday night’s intro miniseries’s, but the most important thing on Sunday’s agenda is sleep.
Every other day of the week: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc., you work, making the money you need to get by on, the money for rent and bills and food and movies and beer. Saturdays are for working too, but you don’t usually get paid for working that day, unless you have a wife who gives you loving for painting the walls in the garage that obscene shade of puce that looked oh-so-good in the catalog, but turns your garage into the inside of a giant booger.
But Sunday is for sleeping, and being lazy, getting up at eleven in the morning, watching television in your boxers while sipping coffee, ignoring the world, and then, after all of that is done, sleeping some more.

There is an open invitation for comments on the whole thing. Email me for the rest.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
How long is it? And what's the genre?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
It's non-genre. Just a fun piece. I just finished the first draft (600 pages) of a dark modern fantasy. After stuff like that, I write light comedy. This is one of those.
And as for how long...it's 39 pages.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...how many words is that? 39 pages depends on the font and formatting you're using.

Congrats on finishing a novel. That always feels good.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited January 04, 2005).]

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Uh, hem.
21000 words. Every other one is funny, I swear.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oh, rats. 21,000 words is almost half of a novel. I'm afraid I just don't have time for anything that long.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited January 04, 2005).]

AStJohn
Member # 2280

- posted      Profile for AStJohn   Email AStJohn         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way,

ASoupTureenandaBagFullofCash.rtf

Is too long for a macintosh file type name and it gets cut of as ".rt" instead of ".rtf". This makes it end up opening as a RealPlayer document (which doesn't work). But if you just take the "h" off of "cash" in the file name, then it'll work for macintosh.

So in other words, just call it (in the file name):

"ASoupTureenandaBagFullofCas.rtf"

... or not. Oh well, just thought I'd let you know.

By the way, I'll get back to you once I'm finished reading the story. I haven't had a good time to yet to sit down and really read the rest of it, but I'll probably get back to you tommorow.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.