Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Absense of Life

Author Topic: The Absense of Life
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a story that just came out one day. It's a little under 5k words, and has been through it's first revision. It does have a few curse words, and the story itself might be disturbing in places.

Looking for people interesting in critiquing the whole thing. I'm sure there are some mistakes I've missed.

quote:
Laurence stared at the time displayed on the wall. Two hours had passed, and once again nothing had been accomplished. Ancient souls masked in young bodies argued over petty issues. Each one harbored more than two centuries of perceived wisdom, but lacked the ability to understand. None of it mattered.

Sitting at the end of the table, Laurence turned his attention to the head of the group, Mark. Last names had been forgotten during the last century. With only thirteen humans left on the planet, none were needed. Mark looked as bored as he was, but Mark listened to the arguments. He daydreamed.

“Silence,” Mark said. The arguing ceased. “I want to resume research on the Nova project.”

[This message has been edited by Lord Darkstorm (edited January 19, 2005).]

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JOHN
Member # 1343

- posted      Profile for JOHN           Edit/Delete Post 
That's sounds REALLY good! I'll check it out.

Send it to: johnlewisjr89@gmail.com

JOHN!

Posts: 401 | Registered: Jan 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to take a look, send it over.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look as well.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Shi Magadan, your email address bounced it.
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a good beginning, and I'd like to read more. However I am a little overextended right now - if you are not in a hurry, send it to me. Otherwise, I'd be happy to look at the next draft!
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening works pretty well, it seems.

I did have a nit with "Last names had been forgotten during the last century. With only thirteen humans left on the planet, none were needed." I can see how you've used the question of last names being redundent to bring in the fact that there are only 13 humans left on Earth, but the problem is that there is no justification for Laurence to be suddenly noticing that everyone has forgotton their last names.

Also, it seems a bit implausible and boring as a pretext. Why would they have forgotton their last names rather than their first names? Think of Gilligan's Island, how the "names" of the characters contributed to characterizing the relationships among them. "Mr. Howal", "Professor", "Mary-Anne". Sure, it's a silly example, but the way the characters were named lent the show legs. Having 13 people go by their first names is just going to get tiresome.

But putting that aside, I think the premise is promising and I'd like to read it.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
TruHero
Member # 1766

- posted      Profile for TruHero   Email TruHero         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey LDS, this begining is different than when I saw it last. How much else has changed? I don't know if my opinion would be overdone on this since I've seen earlier versions of it. But, if you'd like to send it, I'll take another look. I would need about a week or so to get it back to you though.
Posts: 471 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
maverick
Member # 2302

- posted      Profile for maverick   Email maverick         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the intro, it draws the reader in, but I have to agree with Survivor on the line "Last names had been forgotten during the last century."
This threw me. Maybe something like - Last names had been forgotten over the centuries.
Mav

[This message has been edited by maverick (edited January 19, 2005).]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Hello TruHero, and this is a totally different beast. I did use the same basic world...the rest went another way.

Thanks Survivor, I agree.

Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the e-mail address, it should work now.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Still got rejected Shi Magadan,

quote:
delivery error: dd Sorry your message to professorchaos@yahoo.com cannot be delivered. This account has been disabled or discontinued [#103]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Try professorchaos1000@yahoo.com
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

I got it off. Shi Magadan sent me an email with the correct address.

Thanks

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.