Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rewrite of Untitled Short Story

Author Topic: Rewrite of Untitled Short Story
maverick
Member # 2302

- posted      Profile for maverick   Email maverick         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay guys and gals here's another rewrite, let it rip.

Kyle Miller put the night vision goggles to his eyes, and peered into the moon lit valley below. Slowly, he scanned the area, straining to find any signs of the inhabitants. “It’s been a month and still nothing,” he said frustrated, ripping off his goggles,and looking down into the emptiness, “There’s isn't much time, before we’re called back and then...” His voice trailed off fighting the guilt he’s carried for two years now.

Dusan Ny looked at his friend with empathy. He agreed to help him find the Zap that killed his brother two years ago, but to do that you needed the Anatotitans or some other species the Zaps liked to attack, and neither seemed to be around. It was getting difficult to locate them, and reports from all over the planet were claiming the same difficulties with other species. There were theories, but most were ridiculous and some down right insane.

The last line of the first paragraph is giving me trouble, as well as the last line of the second, I'm not sure if I should leave it there or move it to another paragraph or use it in a dialogue.

The Anatotitians are described in the third paragraph. I'm debating whether to keep the description here, or lead the reader into the insane theory. If I lead the reader into the theory, I'm not sure as to how to bring the reader back to Kyle and Dusan and discuss the Anatotitians.

Thanks for the input.
Mav.

[This message has been edited by maverick (edited January 20, 2005).]

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, here's what I think:

I'm not sure why you kept Dusan out of the first paragraph. You could easily say the both characters stood atop the mesa, Kyle with goggles, Dusan with whatever he's got, looking for inhabitants and fighting any guilt one or both may feel.

Then we know, right from the beginning, that there's two people together. How you write the narrative from there will determine who's going to be the POV character -- as it stands now, it could be either Kyle or Dusan, maybe even omni... I can't tell.

But you know what else? With a slight rewrite of the second paragraph, you could cut (ouch) the first paragraph entirely. Because the second, if rewritten, is far more interesting than the first... to me anyway. The first could alternatively be moved to be the second paragraph if you couldn't bear to part with it...

I know, I know... sorry.

EDIT: Regarding the last line of the 1st: You need a comma to make that work so it doesn't sound like his voice is actually fighting his guilt. "I am the Dark Voice! Have at you, Guilt!" *Ahem* I would probably rewrite tho', like: "[...]" his voice trailed off as he struggled with the guilt he felt.

The last line of the second paragraph: Cut it. Don't need it. Problem solved. Right? Right.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited January 20, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
maverick
Member # 2302

I see what your saying, but I'm not sure as to how to incorporate the two into one. I'll work it and see what I can do.

I figured by introducing a dialogue from Kyle that the reader would presume that someone else is close by, then again he could be talking with himself.

I introduced Kyle first simply because he is the focus of this story, Dusan is more or less the sidekick, not a bumbling one, but one that keeps Kyle in check and out of trouble. Kyle is, at times, too focused on his revenge.

Mav

maverick
Member # 2302

Okay, that works thx. But- removing the line "There were theorie..." it moved the following sentence up:

"Maybe old Cyrus is right,” he said knowing that he could receive a barrage of swearing.

Does it work or does this need to be a paragraph itself?

Now before you ask who Cyrus is, don't - he is the protaganist and will be introduce later, not too much later - but later.

Thx,
Mav

Sorry about the double post. Wasn't thinking of editing the first. duh on me

HSO
Member # 2056

Oh, sorry. I see your point. However, sometimes people talk to themselves...you never know... but anyway, it would help if you introduced Dusan along with that dialogue if you keep the first. You can add a simple: "Kyle said to his friend, Dusan, who stood next to him." Sorted. Or something along those lines. I still feel they should be introduced together somehow. And I still like the second paragraph over the first, so long as it's written from Kyle's point of view.

HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
This valley was the site of a catastrophe, right? I remember in the other thread someone else commenting on "inhabitents" and I find it off as well. Maybe "survivors" or "locals".

One way to combine the two paragraphs would be to have Kyle performing the action and Dusan making the commentary.

Kyle scanned the valley with his nvg's, "It's been a month and nothing, why bother, the council will send for us soon..." Dusan asked.

Rough example.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

quote:
“Maybe old Cyrus is right,”

Why not have your character say it then? Like:

"Maybe old Cyrus' theories were right, even if they are insane," said whoever.

"In the least, they are ridiculous," said the other guy.

"Agreed. Wanna go for a pint?"

"Yeah, that sounds nice. But don't you want to find the Zappy thing?"

"Oh, yeah. Forgot about that."

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited January 20, 2005).]

maverick
Member # 2302

That was my previous thread HuntGod, and I like your recommendation. The "inhabitants" was change to Anatotitians, though they don't actually live in the valley.

HSO - The dialogue suggestion works.

Here's a revision tell me please - I've never worked so damn hard on an opening.

Kyle Miller put the night vision goggles to his eyes, and peered into the moon lit valley below him. Slowly, he scanned the area, straining to find any signs of the Anatotitans. “It’s been a month, and they still haven’t showed, Kyle. We’re wasting time.” Dusan said doubting that his friend was listening. “They’ll come, they always come.” replied Kyle with certainty. Dusan removed his goggles and looked at Kyle with empathy – the man’s guilt was consuming him. He agreed to help Kyle find the Zap that killed his brother two years ago, but to do that you needed the Anatotitans or some other species the Zaps liked to attack, and neither seemed to be around. It was getting difficult to locate them, and reports from all over the planet were claiming the same difficulties with other species. “Maybe Cyrus’ insane theory is right,” he said knowing that he could receive a barrage of swearing.

“Are you just trying to piss me off?” Kyle snapped

“No. Just that...ah never mind,” he said as the thunder rumbled in the distance. He and Kyle turned their eyes toward the growing sound.

“About damn time,” said Kyle tickling the adjustments to his goggles, “It’s the Anatotitans.”

Thx again,
Mav.

HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I like that better but a couple of suggestions.

quote:
Kyle Miller put the night vision goggles to his eyes, and peered into the moon lit valley below him. Slowly, he scanned the area, straining to find any signs of the Anatotitans. “It’s been a month, and they still haven’t showed, Kyle. We’re wasting time.” Dusan said doubting that his friend was listening.

Put a break here, don't have dialogue between two characters in the same paragraph. Yeah I know I suggested making it one paragraph.

quote:
“They’ll come, they always come.” replied Kyle with certainty. Dusan removed his goggles and looked at Kyle with empathy – the man’s guilt was consuming him. He agreed to help Kyle find the Zap that killed his brother two years ago, but to do that you needed the Anatotitans or some other species the Zaps liked to attack, and neither seemed to be around. It was getting difficult to locate them, and reports from all over the planet were claiming the same difficulties with other species.

Is this text below Dusan speaking or Kyle? If it's Dusan you need another break right there. Your asking for problems any time you split spoken text that far apart in a paragraph.

quote:
“Maybe Cyrus’ insane theory is right,” he said knowing that he could receive a barrage of swearing."

I like where the story is heading, but your still doing a lot of telling rather than showing. ex. "Maybe Cyrus' insane theory is right," Dusan/Kyle chided, wincing at the barrage of swearing that followed.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
maverick
Member # 2302

Okay, makes sense. How's this -

Kyle Miller put the night vision goggles to his eyes, and peered into the moon lit valley below him. Slowly, he scanned the area, straining to find any signs of the Anatotitans. “It’s been a month, and they still haven’t showed, Kyle. We’re wasting time.” Dusan Ny said doubting that his friend was listening.

“They’ll come, they always come.” replied Kyle with certainty.

Dusan removed his goggles and looked at Kyle with empathy – the man’s guilt was consuming him. He agreed to help Kyle find the Zap that killed his brother two years ago, but to do that you needed the Anatotitans or some other species the Zaps liked to attack, and neither seemed to be around. It was getting difficult to track them, and reports from all over the planet were claiming the same difficulties with other species.

“Maybe Cyrus’ insane theory is right,” Dusan said wincing at an expect onslaught of swearing.

“Are you just trying to piss me off?” Kyle snapped

“No. Just that...ah never mind,” he said as the thunder rumbled in the distance.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
POV?
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
POV echo. And do not put Kyle's actions in the same paragraph with Dusan's dialogue unless they are closely linked.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
maverick
Member # 2302

POV POV POV

ARGHHHHHH!

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, POV. You're shifting POV with nearly every sentence.

Sentence 1 and 2 are Kyle, especially because of the phrase "straining to find any signs of the Anatotitans." That could only come from within Kyle's head - it's not something an external observer could know.

Sentence 3 is Dusan - we know this because it tells us that Dusan is doubting - again something you have to be inside Dusan's head to notice.

and so on. Do you see that?

Here's a (really bad) example of how this might all be told from Dusan's POV:

Dusan watched Kyle put on the night vision goggles. "It's been a month, and the Anatotitans still haven't shown, Kyle," he said, but Kyle kept peering into the moonlit valley. Dusan didn't think Kyle was even listening to him.

Just an example - I hope that makes sense. If you're telling this from Dusan's POV, you need to stay in Dusan's head, reporting only what Dusan sees and experiences for himself.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. I know that I sometimes sound like a broken record on the subject. It isn't that I don't appreciate literature that uses methods other than POV to organize the narrative, but I do believe that many writers simply aren't aware of just how powerful a tool modern POV can be if used properly. I always twig to apparent shifting of the POV without establishment of either a narrator or full omniscience.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.