Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Technology of Beingness

Author Topic: The Technology of Beingness
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Tentative title...

This is my WIP, my first novel-length venture as it were. I'm offering up the first two scenes of Ch.1 if anyone is interested in providing feedback on those -- approx 2500 words. Or I'll gladly accept feedback on these first 11 lines.

I've been troubled over making the first sentence it's own paragraph or leaving it as is... Either way feels right to me... and I can't decide. What do you think?

As always, thanks.

Ordinarily, Connor Parkes would not have paid much attention to the woman in the gray jumpsuit. A married man--albeit not very happily this past year--he had no intention of seeking anything extramarital. Plain ol’ “marital” was just fine, thank you. And sometimes, one woman was too much.

But as the woman in gray slinked away from the restrooms, across the lot toward the attendant’s booth inside, to return what could only be a toilet key (attached to a weighty piece of iron), she caught his eye. Indeed, there was something strange about the way she moved: slow and cautious. This nagged him like an itch he could not quite reach to scratch.

EDIT: included missing article "the" -- how do these things happen? One can only guess. Thx, Jefficus.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited January 21, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jefficus
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Jefficus   Email Jefficus         Edit/Delete Post 
Minor point: you're missing an article between 'in' and 'gray jumpsuit'.

As to the 'one paragraph or two' issue, I would agree that it could work either way. The deciding factor should be your intention as to timing. With two paragraphs, there is an implied pause between the 'one woman was too much' thought and the resumption of the narrative. If you intend that Connor is pausing, briefly, to let that thought echo, then go with two paragraphs.

On the other hand, if you intend it only as a flip aside, then drop to a single paragraph to make that dangling thought less dangly.

I found the aside about the weighty piece of iron distracting. It gets in the way of the apparently important point about how she catches his eye. The way you've got it now, it seems more like the iron caught his eye than that she did.

The bit about the itch is unfortunately very cliche. Spencer Tracy and Marilyn Monroe made a big thing out of that simile in The Seven Year Itch and it has been used to death ever since.

Last comment. I found, particularly for an opening to a novel, that this lacks a hook. There is no strong visual, no interesting turn of phrase and no unanswered question presented in the first line.

As a suggestion, try inserting this short line to the very beginning:

quote:
Maybe it was the way she twirled the key.
This creates just a tiny air of mystery that coerces me to move into the rest of the paragraph.

I didn't mean to come across as harsh here. I actually like the general setup and most of the execution.

My two cents, offered cheap at Canadian exchange rates.
Jefficus

*Edited to fix typo.

[This message has been edited by Jefficus (edited January 21, 2005).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I also hope I don't come across as harsh.

Jefficus is right about the lack of a hook. However, if the character and story aren't intense, I don't think you need a really strong hook at the beginning. It would be wrong for the tone of the story.

I would take out the second sentence of the first paragraph. If he's not happy in his marriage, "Plain ol' 'marital'" is not fine; if it were, he would be happy or at least content. I would go straight to "One woman was too much", kept inside the first paragraph.

I don't get why "slow and cautious" would attract a man to a woman. I'm assuming I'll find out later in the story.

I agree about the iron, as well.

No matter why he's attracted, I think it would work better if you described those slow and cautious actions with more focus on your POV's reaction to what her body is doing. Instead of starting his reaction at the end of the sentence in the third paragraph (when the action ends), build up from the moment he sees her walking.

Finally, if you want to make me believe Connor's attracted to this mystery woman, please don't use the word "strange" to describe how she moves.

In spite of all this, I'm interested in Connor and what's going to happen next. If you feel this chapter is ready, and if you can wait a few days for a critique, I'll take a look.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Thanks, guys, for your input. I will say this: He's not attracted to the woman -- simply finds her to be a curiosity, something odd. Swinging the key is right out, Jefficus, since she's trying to not attract attention to herself, but thanks for the hint. It would otherwise be an excellent idea.

As a matter of opinion, I feel that some leeway is to be given for novel-length story openings. Not a lot, mind you, but a wee bit more than a short story would get. Yet, if these two paragraphs are boring people silly or are not even interesting, then I'll address it on the rewrite.

Thanks.

Keeley
Member # 2088

I don't think they're boring. Just confusing.

If this isn't about physical attraction, why are you mentioning his unhappy marriage?

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
oh, yes, telling me about his marriage and that he "had no intention of seeking anything extramarital" completely made me think that he was having extramarital thoughts about the woman when you introduce her in the next paragraph.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

I can't tell if that was sarcastic or not, Beth. But yes, I was trying to make it clear that he wasn't looking at her as a sexual fantasy, without using those precise words. And also just to give a hint as to what his home life is like, because it's very important.

Either way, I do see what you're getting at about the confusion, Keeley. I'm chewing on it. No worries. Something good will come from this.

Beth
Member # 2192

No, not at all sarcastic, I'm sorry.

The first paragraph frames this as being about his marital issues - so I assumed the woman in the 2nd paragraph was going to be relevant to those issues.

Like if, oh, I don't know. Say I wrote a first paragraph that said:
Clarissa was in therapy for her kleptomania. She hated being a kleptomaniac and didn't want to steal any more.

and then I wrote a second paragraph that said:
Clarissa went into the department store and started looking around.

You'd think there was a relationship between those two paragraphs, and that Clarissa going into the store was related to her kleptomania.

probably this is a dumb example and i am just muddling things up more. oh, well. ignore me if I'm not making sense.

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited January 21, 2005).]

HSO
Member # 2056

I see, Beth. Thanks for the clarification.

I suppose I thought the very first sentence was clear enough in its intent. Then, followed by the next sentences that good ol' Connor wasn't interested in a fling at all, and wouldn't go there, because one woman was more than enough.

However, I realize that I've not framed this properly... if one person is confused, big deal. If two are, okay, something to think about. If three are, then it needs fixing.

Beth
Member # 2192

oh, I see - you're trying to say "no, this isn't about extramarital issues! just put that out of your head!"

but I read it as "Connor is in deep denial about is extramarital leanings and is about to get a wake-up call."

HSO
Member # 2056

Like I said, I didn't frame this properly. It could be taken either way. It may depend on one's bias, I suppose. Regardless, this is likely a clear case of author-error.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent the chapter my way if you want. I don't believe you need a hook in the first 13 lines. Not for a novel. Tell me what level of critique you want.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

Thanks for the clarification, HSO. Now I most definitely want to read the rest of what you've offered.

wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I volunteer as well.

My thought on so far is, hook me. The "one woman is too much" is interesting; suggests he's got problems at home, which might lead him to at least look at this woman longer. If his interest is really just curiosity -- I'd rather have that curiosity be about something *I'm* curious about too, like why the woman looks so upset, or something.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, you've probably done a certain amount of editing of this passage already, but I'll say that all the problems that everyone has been talking about are clearly fixed.

I might suggest a few additional tweaks, like "the attractive/shapely/etc. woman in the gray jumpsuit." Just to give that information rather than imply it by suggesting that an "available" man might have found her interesting for some other reason than her behavior. I would also reverse the positions of "a weighty piece of iron" and "what could only be a toilet key", since he actually sees the piece of iron and then assumes it must be attached to a toilet key (and I would rephrase each a little).

"Indeed" could go, for all of me. I have no idea what it means where you put it. And perhaps "itch he could not quite reach to scratch" is the wrong image, but it isn't a terrible simile for something between inappropriate curiosity about someone with whom you don't wish to become involved and completely baseless suspicions about someone who happens to walk a bit funny.

By the way, a certain grammarian of my aquaintance informs me that the previous use of "who" should be "whom". I informed said grammarian that this is the reason that I think that the study of English grammar is complete nonsense.

To return to the subject, I'm hooked. A [presumably attractive] woman in a grey jumpsuit trying to covertly return the key to a toilet is one of those things that makes you wonder. And the guy who notices it and ends up in a novel intrigues me as well.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
That means I'll read a couple of scenes, if you like.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Right, then. How does this work for all ye? Better? Less confusing?

Ordinarily, Connor Parkes would not have paid much attention to the woman in the gray jumpsuit. He knew it was not an attraction to her that held his interest. In fact, she was a rather gaunt and homely creature: matted, shoulder-length brown hair clung to her sallow cheeks; the tight-fitting jumpsuit, filthy and stained; the laces of one running shoe untied and threatening to trip her up at the slightest misstep. Besides, even if there were an unlikely attraction to her, he was a married man--maybe not happily, he would admit if pressed--and he had no interest in seeking anything outside his marriage. He was a one-woman man.

For a moment, it puzzled him that he couldn’t take his eyes away from her as he filled his Volvo’s fuel tank. Aside from how she looked, maybe it the way she moved across the lot: slow and cautious, seemingly to not attract attention to herself as she slinked away from the restrooms toward the attendant’s booth inside. Yes, it was clear to him that the woman in gray did not want to be noticed. Which is exactly why he noticed her.

Keeley
Member # 2088

I love those last two sentences.

This is much better than the first version. Well done.

I was interested in reading the rest before. Now, I'm eager.

HSO
Member # 2056

Nah, don't be eager... what I sent to you earlier is crap. I'm rewriting it now. Feel free to disregard it... that goes out to everyone who got it. And if anyone has already started or finished critiquing before reading this post, I apologize for wasting your time.
Beth
Member # 2192

That's a much more interesting description of the woman - now i have more of an idea of why he's watching her.
Keeley
Member # 2088

The only way I'll forgive you for wasting my time is if you send me the rewrite for a critique.

I must have closure on this anecdote.

HSO
Member # 2056

Of course, Madame Keeley. A rewrite is forthcoming. So far, I'm much happier with what I've got.

Big kudos to Survivor by the way -- my official kick-in-the-pants. He's already critiqued the version sent out and confirmed many of suspicions, as well as a few I hadn't "suspiched."

Dude (speaking to you, Survivor), thanks.

Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
HSO,

Just to confirm what the others have said:

This version is better. I get a better sense of the scene and a better image of the woman.

Good job on the rewrite.

-Bryan-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.