Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Hope of Shelter

Author Topic: A Hope of Shelter
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you keep commenting on passivity, so tell me what you think of this.
; )

The Hope of Shelter

Angry and unrelenting, the rain hammered at them for the sixth night in a row. Were it not for the heat of high summer, exposure alone would have already killed them.
Bobby crouched under the failing cover of a magnolia and stared out over the muddy road, straining for the sounds of dogs. Four times now, in the last two weeks, farmer’s dogs had nearly caught them. They had taught him caution, those dogs. They had also taught him to approach the houses alone. Angie wasn’t up to running from them anymore.
He glanced back through the downpour to where she sat, uphill from him under a thick pine. The tarp she held tight around her had a few holes in it, but it was enough to cover her from the direct effects of the rain, even if it did little to keep the humidity out. It was just too wet for that these days.
Bobby turned back to the road, listening again. The farmhouse jutted up from the hillside about a hundred yards off, with a few outbuildings scattered off to one side. The windows shone with electric lights, a good sign. If the electricity was still on, then these people might be a little more receptive. He just wished he knew whether or not they had dogs. And whether or not they’d set them loose when they saw him.

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, there's some nice writing in here. I don't see a single passive thing here. I will suggest that you exchange "them" in the first or second sentance for the names of your characters. Personally I'd rather see the first. If Bobby is your POV character, as he seems to be, you might also consider changing "...farmer's dogs had nearly caught them." to "...nearly caught him and _____." and fill the blank with his relationship with Angie. (sister, wife...) I suggest this to help avoid the confusion of having "them" and "They" so close together, it also gives us more character info in a fairly discreet way.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. And yes, it does.
Tess
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Tess   Email Tess         Edit/Delete Post 
Disclaimer: I hate rewriting other people’s work, especially when I know they’re capable. I feel like I’m encroaching on style. Still, we all benefit from suggestions. The following is intended for mutual education purposes; author understanding advised. (Can you year the television announcer’s voice in that one?)

Here goes.

Angry and unrelenting, the rain hammered at them for the sixth night in a row.

I like this first sentence, even with the “them.” If you keep it, the next sentence should tell me who they are. I’m going to borrow the first sentence of your next paragraph, because it’s easy. How does this sound?

Angry and unrelenting, the rain hammered at them for the sixth night in a row. Bobby and Angie crouched under the failing cover of a magnolia and stared out over the muddy road, straining for the sounds of dogs.

I have no problem with an unclear point of view in the first paragraph if you’re creating a picture. This is just something I saw right away, on my second, more detailed reading. Given the above, the Second paragraph would have to start with a firm point of view. You work with it as you see fit, of course.

The second sentence bothered me.

Were it not for the heat of high summer, exposure alone would have already killed them.

Why complicate the tenses? Also, “were it not” is a form of “to be,” and passive. Remember, passive voice is ok if not overused. And watch out for extra words, like “already,” “alone,” and “high.” Does the following work?

Exposure would have killed them, had it not been for the heat of summer.

I imagine overuse of streamlined writing would get tiresome after a while too, but at least if you streamline first you can add the extra words later, for effect, and that way you’ll know that every word has a purpose.

…I like that observation. I’ll try it in my own work!

Four times now, in the last two weeks, farmer’s dogs (had) nearly caught them. They (had) taught him caution, those dogs. They (had) also taught him to approach the houses alone. Angie (wasn’t up to) running from them anymore.

Am I the only one who notices the excessive use of the word “had?” “Wasn’t” is passive, in spite of the negative. Compare to: Angie refused to run any more. Can you find a more descriptive replacement for the second use of the word “dogs?”

He (or say Bobby) glanced back through the downpour to where she sat, uphill from him under a thick pine. The tarp she (or say Angie) held tight around her had a few holes in it, but (it was) enough to cover her from the direct effects of the rain, even if it did little to keep the humidity out. (It was) just too wet for that these days.

Bobby turned back to the road, listening again. The farmhouse jutted up from the hillside about a hundred yards off, with a few outbuildings scattered off to one side. The windows shone with electric lights, a good sign. If the electricity was still on, then these people might be a little more receptive. He just wished he knew whether or not they had dogs. And whether or not they’d set them loose when they saw him.

The repeated thought about electricity in two sentences jumped out at me. Can you combine the sentences?

This piece doesn’t yet have that wonderful narrator’s voice you’ve accomplished in past work I’ve seen of yours. I know you’ll get there.

Now, if only I could see the same problems in my own work….

Posts: 98 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

How do I create those nifty little quote boxes I've seen in other posts? Sure would make my posts easier to read.
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

*giving Tess a wry look*

quote:
How do I create those nifty little quote boxes I've seen in other posts? Sure would make my posts easier to read.

It's html, or something like it; I'm not quite sure. But either way you write - not the quotation marks, but what's in between- and you replace the () with []:

"(QUOTE)text text text(/QUOTE)"
exactly like that, although quote doesn't have to be in caps.

And, for goodness sakes! If you don't use a bit of passivity here and there, you're readers will seize up and keel over from over-excitement...

Jeez, some people.

Oh, and the reason it's not "Bobby and Angie crouched under the yadda yadda," is because Angie's up the hill a ways, huddling under a tarp.

The reason Angie isn't up to running anymore is because she's eight and a half-months pregnant. She couldn't do it whether she wanted to or not.

This story is set in a not-necessarily-post-apocalyptic world, but one where things are going bad. A team of astronauts, engineers, and rock minors have moved an asteroid into earth orbit for excavation and habitation. Only the companies involved neglected to consider the environmental impact the gravity would have on the Earth's tides and ocean currents. As a result, a semi-large section of the Antarctic Ice shelf broke off and melted, drowning the coasts over the last few years and changing the environment a bit.
The governments are still in place, but the earthwide disaster has made social chaos a bit more prevalent, and created a WHOLE lot of refugees. In the US, the national Guard and military are trying to keep things safe, but they can't be everywhere.
Bobby and Angie's home was drowned, and they are moving inland, seeking shelter from the rain and a few bad people who are preying on refugees. They need shelter for the birth of their baby.
Only, not everyone is receptive.
It's sort of a conflict between the Ideal of Civilization and the darker Desire for Chaos.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 24, 2005).]

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Sometimes the best word is 'was'.
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Tess, not all uses of "to be" are passive. your versions of the sentences are better, I think, but not because they've removed passive verbs.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

Hi Beth. Yes, I agree. Notice I said “passive voice” instead of “passive verbs.” Indirect phrasing affects style too. I’m just overly sensitive to this stuff right now because I’m trying to correct it in my own writing. Sorry if I come off as obsessive.

quote:
I imagine overuse of streamlined writing would get tiresome after a while too, but at least if you streamline first you can add the extra words later, for effect, and that way you’ll know that every word has a purpose.

Thanks for the explanations, Netstorm. Writer always knows best. Gets hard with just 13 lines, doesn’t it?

quote:
Remember, passive voice is ok if not overused.

I’m going to like this quote thing if it worked for me. Thank you.

Reason for edit: The quote boxes, of course. Amazing, the things you learn by asking.

[This message has been edited by Tess (edited January 24, 2005).]

Tess
Member # 2199

oops. What did I do wrong with the quotes?
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

okay, try this.
Scroll up to my 10:17 post, and click the edit button, then, when that page loads, scroll to the top and look at the way I did it.
The text text text bit was just an example of what to put between the quote tags.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 24, 2005).]

Tess
Member # 2199

Boy, do I feel dumb. Thanks.
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Tess!

When you post a reply, you'll see a little line to the left that says *UBB Code is ON. Just click on that and a menu will pop up that tells you all the pertinent codes for whatever you want to do.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

Thanks, you guys are helpful.
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll pretty much just endorse what MR said. I'll also add that all the uses of past perfect and possessive seemed appropriate to me.

A couple of comments on setting that might be on or way off. Using "hypothermia" rather than "exposure" might be a good idea here, depending on the character. Dogs...it might just be a personal prejudice, but if you want readers to understand Bobby's feelings about these animals you might try something a little more colorful than "dogs". It's true, I typically think dogs are annoying rather than frightening. Maybe other people think that dogs are plenty scary (maybe you don't want them to seem too scary).

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I like the original version best (with Mrs. Kowal's "they" and "them" mods). And I agree with Mrs. Kowal: there's not a passive sentence (or phrase) in it.

But Netstorm, were you looking for people to read more of this? Or just asking about the passive voice?

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited January 25, 2005).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Tess
Member # 2199

Looks like I'm the one who needs help, with the passive and active stuff, that is.

You never know what's going to happen, when those amateurs start reading too many "how to" articles!

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

It's not done yet. I'm still working out the plot. This is one of the few times when I don't know exactly what happens in a short.
I had an opening, and a near end scene, but that's it.

Oh, and Survivor, the reason the dogs are not simply frightening to Bobby, but actually dangerous, is that these are farmers' guard dogs. They aren't out to scare people. They're out to attack intruders.
When you're wandering on foot from town to town, dogs are much more than a nuisance.

[This message has been edited by Netstorm2k (edited January 25, 2005).]

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Are the explanations you are giving here in the text? If not, then you might want to consider working them in. For instance, the fact that Angie is pregnant would help build my picture of the scene and give me a clearer sense of what is going on. There's no reason to withhold that is there?
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Grinning.

I didn't withhold it. It's just beyond the 13 line limit.

's what we in the business call a hook, My Dear.

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

*Arches an eyebrow at his own smugness*
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's why I'm saying that you might choose a more evocative term than "dogs", like..."hounds" or something. But again, I'm not wired to be scared of canines anyway, be they attack dogs or poodles. They're always much less than a nuisance to me (except when they try to attack me, in which case they are just embarrassing). So maybe it isn't a big deal.

And you probably shouldn't use the phrase "release the hounds" no matter what.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.