Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Door in the Desert

Author Topic: The Door in the Desert
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect there are billion stories like this, though I'm unaware of any. If so, I would hope I've at least brought a fresh perspective to it.

Anyway... 2100 words / 9 pages manuscript format. No idea of genre... fantasy maybe? Spec. fiction? Who knows. If someone could advise which genre after reading, I would grateful.

Readers and critiquers welcomed.

No one knew what was on the other side of the door. Those few that were brave enough to enter had never returned to tell of their experience. The daring and courageous were swallowed up, one by one, until there were none with enough mettle to cross the threshold. The door in the desert would not give up its secret to those on this side so easily. To discover its mystery, one must walk through it, and may the gods of both worlds be with those foolhardy souls when they did.

For many long years, it went unnoticed: a solitary monolith made of dark, stained wood and polished brass-colored metal, its top edge forming an arch, and erected upon the ever-changing sea of sand, far away from any village, town, or city.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited January 24, 2005).]

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
My first reaction to this is that I should be feeling some sense of dread about this door but I am not. I feel as if the language needs to be much darker, more ominous. Without writing it myself, I'm afraid I can't be more specific than that, but I hope the impression helps.

Anyway, if you want to send the rest along to me I'll give it a look.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King had a floating door in the Dark Tower series. It is also a very popular theme in modern art.

Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
GOOD GOD!

How hard would it be to just open the door with a stick, stand back, and look through it?

Posts: 331 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

- posted      Profile for Netstorm2k   Email Netstorm2k         Edit/Delete Post 
But I'm game too. Send it my way.
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be much better to start out with the discover of the door and let the actions do the storytelling and not you.

I've had some trouble with this, but with this story it would give much more suspense if you showed us the mystery instead of telling us it's a mystery.

[This message has been edited by ArCHeR (edited January 24, 2005).]

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with archer.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Right. Well, okay, this might ruin it for some, but the story is about the door, not what's on the other side of it. That's not to say there isn't interaction with it, but I'm going for a different tack.

Yes, I'm intentionally misleading the reader at the start to believe it's one thing, and hopefully they won't care it's another by the end of the story -- if (big if) I've done it correctly.

What's behind the door is another story for another day -- and I do know exactly what's behind it.

It's not supposed to be dark or ominous, either.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited January 24, 2005).]

Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's not supposed to be dark or ominous, either."

This does not change my opinion or my gut reaction. I felt as if it should have been dark or ominous but fell short. This is a problem whether you were going for dark and ominous or not, at least for me.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a character other than the door?

Because if there isn't, and this is a metaphysical journey of the existantial angst of an unused door in the middle of the desert, I'm torn between the desire to avoid reading anything like this ever again and writing one myself to inflict on you.

And if there is, I have a three letter acronym for you to guess

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
While I disagree with Archer about starting with the discovery of the door and seeing all those people get swallowed, I do agree with the general sentiment of others that opening needs to be pumped up a bit.

I mean, I think you're basically looking at a two paragraph prologue here, right? Is there a reason you need to summarize its history before you get to the story, or can this be woven into the story itself? Can you put this backstory into the mind or dialogue of a character so that it's more dynamic? Obviously, without knowing the rest of the story I could be offering useless ideas here. There might be a reason that you need a narrator or OMNI POV, which this would establish.

I'd be happy to read it and offer my thoughts but I won't be able to give you any feedback till next Saturday. I seem to only have time to crit things when I'm on a plane.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

quote:
Is there a character other than the door?

Yes.

The door is not unused. But if you feel the need to inflict anything on me, don't let me hold you back.

This story is written in an OMNI POV, Mary. It was required, given the fact that we're talking about a door. Although it does dip into the door's POV as necessary. Perfectly legitimate in this case. And only part of the second paragraph is shown due to that being the end of 13 lines.

Anyway, speculate all you'd like as to what you think the story is about... or... I dunno... read it, and then tell me it's crap, while moaning that I've wasted your time and you want your ten minutes back.

Shi Magadan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for Shi Magadan   Email Shi Magadan         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, what the heck, doors are people too, send it over.
Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
JBSkaggs
Member # 2265

- posted      Profile for JBSkaggs   Email JBSkaggs         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a story about a door. Actually it was a car that turned out to be a door. From a Buick 8 By Stephen King. We never learned what was on the other side besides some mere glimspes only how the people dealt with it on this side.
Posts: 451 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
What about following one of those brave few as he finds, tries and disappears through the door, and then slide into the general? You've got me curious, so if you still want readers....
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
W. Rought
Member # 2186

- posted      Profile for W. Rought   Email W. Rought         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck I'll willing to waste 10 mins of my time. Then I can waste ten mins of yours with some realy long senseless feedback! Send it my way!!!!
Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
If you need another reader, send it to me.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

G'huh?
HSO
Member # 2056

did you not get the story, netstorm? I'm sure I sent it out...
Daniel Thurot
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also like to read this, if you could use another critique.
 | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No one knew what was on the other side of the door. Those few that were brave enough to enter had never returned to tell of their experience. The daring and courageous were swallowed up, one by one, until there were none with enough mettle to cross the threshold. The door in the desert would not give up its secret to those on this side so easily. To discover its mystery, one must walk through it, and may the gods of both worlds be with those foolhardy souls when they did.

It might be stronger to start with, if you cut it to something like this:

No one knew what was on the other side of the door. To discover its mystery, one must walk through it. Few did. Fewer returned.

But I'm not sure that would fit your intent.

mm

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

No, I got it.
The writing was good. The door's POV was a bit weird, also where it cursed at the old man, but my G'huh was for the end. I was expecting something, and there was just a thud from the door falling over.(paraphrased concept)
You had something going there, though it seemed a bit tedious at points, like when the population of people coming to the door sped up, slowed down, stopped, picked up, topped out, slowed down, stopped.
But the story itself drew me in, simply to see what happened with the door. But it was a let down when the door just up and decided to croak. It was like, why did you tell me all of that? It's like watching Marvin the robot for a million years in the swamp, but ommitting the Cricket robots taking his leg.

But the prose was good.

HSO
Member # 2056

You forgot the mattress... Marvin meets the mattress in the swamps, too -- that's sort of the best part.

Thanks for your comments, net.

Daniel, with Netstorm's verdict in, I've received 4 out 7 crits, more than half and better than expected. So, I'm all set for readers -- any more would just add confusion at this point. It's time to tackle the rewrite. Thanks anyway...

Netstorm2k
Member # 2279

Falumph!
Rocklover
Member # 2339

- posted      Profile for Rocklover   Email Rocklover         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgive me HSO but I know your door.
It exists in reality.
It is the door to my kids' bathroom.
Sorry. Devil made me say it.
Looks like you have readers galore and a fun idea to boot. Life is good, eh?

Posts: 142 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
theokaluza
Member # 2315

- posted      Profile for theokaluza   Email theokaluza         Edit/Delete Post 
The only major problem I can see here is that it reminds me strongly of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

But I'm sure that the idea of free-standing interdimensional doors has been around for a long time.

Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

I read the first three books of the Dark Tower years ago... I mean, when they first came out. I don't recall a door off hand. I sort of remember some kind of portal, though... was it door?

Anyway, I learned that most everyone who read this and responded wanted to know what was behind the door more than anything else. So... in a way I succeeded, and I failed too. I think that first paragraph will be cut... replaced with something different during the rewrite.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.