Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 13 for review

Author Topic: 13 for review
JennyMac
Member # 2328

- posted      Profile for JennyMac   Email JennyMac         Edit/Delete Post 
This psychological evaluation wasn’t going well. I asked, “Why these stupid games? I know that I have to play along, but why?” My head ached from role playing for the last two hours.

Gerald picked up his pencil and said, “Sarah, you know this is necessary. I don’t enjoy it much either, but it has to be done.”

I really appreciated Gerald’s help, but I had no idea how these tests could possibly benefit my mental state. Maybe he was too intelligent to reach down to my mediocre level of comprehension, or perhaps he already had reached me without my knowledge.

“Besides,” Gerald smiled and said, “Here with me is better than in prison for murder.”

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally not that hooked, although the writing seems fine.

Perhaps root me more in the scene by giving me a clear setting and maybe more about what's going on before jumping into context-less dialogue.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
I think this needs more work on setting the scene.
I really had no idea where we were, the only clue was that Gerald picked up the pencil and I assumed it was from a desk. It was hard to picture.

Also: a lot of Sci-fi readers will think that '2 hours of role-playing' is a very short session of Dungeons and Dragons.

The psychological assessment opening may prove to be good but is more likely a set-up for a slow-paced start.

Is there another place in the story you could just as easily start?

Keep at it.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited January 24, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing it's not that sort of role play, but more along the lines of "suppose you knew your best friend was cheating on her husband"....

But that is the point of setting the scene. We don't know where she is, why she is there, or what the point of the roleplay/psyche tests is.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not having a huge problem with the setting, but perhaps you should say whether this is a private practice office, a counselor's office at school or whatever, or something else. Something that would also clarify how long Gerald's been on Sarah's case. If this isn't your opening and you mention it earlier in the text, then say so.

Per usual, I'm not thrilled with the character's first person running narrative thing, but I can usually tolerate it.

I like your little hook of implying that--in the sober judgement of her mental health professional--ending up in prison for murder is a possible alternative to this role-playing session. Of course, you'll have to juggle justifying that assertion and Gerald's current lack of serious concern over it. Maybe you're having Sarah be an unreliable narrator who just doesn't notice things like that, but that isn't generally a good idea in a running narrative like this.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Corpsegrinder
Member # 2251

- posted      Profile for Corpsegrinder   Email Corpsegrinder         Edit/Delete Post 
This may just be a pet peeve, but I don’t like open-ended teasers.

For example, “This psychological evaluation wasn’t going well” does nothing but beg the question of WHY it’s not going well.

Perhaps something like this would be better: “My psychological evaluation said I was a sociopath with an inadequate personality.”

In that same vein, “Sarah, you know this is necessary. I don’t enjoy it much either, but it has to be done” also begs the question of WHAT is being done.

Perhaps this would be better: “Sarah, you know this is necessary. I don’t enjoy drilling holes in peoples’ heads to let the evil spirits out.”

Do you see what I’m trying to get at here? It doesn’t do much for me to offer a vague hint that something strange is going on. It’s much more effective to tell me EXACTLY what’s going on, right up front.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.