Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Key Turning

Author Topic: A Key Turning
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the intro to a short story I'm working on for a local writing contest. I posted the first 13 about a month ago, and this is the reworked version. All feedback welcome.

Of course he left me the surname Grey and, according to everyone, my face. But the only tangible relics are from my father’s old sea bag—a tarnished brass lock and its key.

Sometimes, after I’ve heard Gram praying over unpaid bills, I’ll come out here by the lake and hold the lock in my hand, staring at my reflection and wondering if just the sight of me only adds to her burdens. I’ll grip the chunk of brass, wanting to toss it into the water, knowing I never will. Yet, for once, it’s not Gram’s prayers that have gotten to me. Instead it’s the fact that she’s somehow managed to buy me some nice used terrariums, while from my father I get nothing. Not a card. Not even a phone call. Giving my face one last appraisal, I curse the harsh features he passed to me, spit into the water, then turn to the bicycle rack.

Squatting, I pull my chain through the wheel and fasten the lock. In the distance, I hear Susie’s bell as she pedals closer. Her father runs a counseling center so, after school, she hangs with me. Sometimes, when we stop by Gram’s shop, the customers just rave when they find out who Susie is; Dr. Preston is such a brave man to be rearing you by himself. He must be such a good father.

They’d never say such things about Gram.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this story, and this fragment is much improved, I feel.

There's a good hook in the first few sentences, and some excellent character development in the next paragraph.

Really, the only thing to moan about is a few punctuation woes.

Good job. Good luck w/ the contest.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph confused me. I felt as if I'd missed something, or like I'd opened to a random page in the middle of a book and started reading, rather than like it was the beginning of a story.

Other than that, I like it.

Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't really grip me. I don't know why. "Abandoned by Dad" does seem like an interesting subject, to me. Maybe it's the somber mood, which is fine, but not for me.

Technically, only some nit-picks:

Of course [he]MY FATHER left me the surname Grey and, according to everyone, my face. But the only tangible relics are from [my father’s]HIS old sea bag—a tarnished brass lock and its key. [I WOULD LIKE SOME HINT WHETHER THE NARRATOR'S MALE OR FEMALE.]

Sometimes, after I’ve heard Gram praying over unpaid bills [NICE IMAGE], I’ll come out here by the lake and hold the lock in my hand, staring at my reflection and wondering if just the sight of me only adds to her burdens. I’ll grip the chunk of brass, wanting to toss it into the water, knowing I never will. Yet, for once, [I THOUGHT WE WERE IN "SOMETIMES." I LIKE BEING IN A SPECIFIC INCIDENT BETTER. MAYBE YOU COULD MAKE IT A SPECIFIC TIME, AND SAY SOMETHING LIKE "AS I'VE DONE SO OFTEN BEFORE"] it’s not Gram’s prayers that have gotten to me. Instead it’s the fact that she’s somehow managed to buy me some nice used terrariums, while from my father I get nothing. Not a card. Not even a phone call. Giving my face one last appraisal, I curse the harsh features he passed to me, spit into the water, then turn to the bicycle rack.

Squatting, I pull my chain through the wheel and fasten the lock. In the distance, I hear Susie’s bell as she pedals closer. Her father runs a counseling center so, after school, she hangs with me. [I DON'T SEE THE CONNECTION IN HER FATHER'S JOB AND HER HANGING AFTER SCHOOL] Sometimes, when we stop by Gram’s shop, the customers just rave when they find out who Susie is; Dr. Preston is such a brave man to be rearing you by himself. He must be such a good father.

They’d never say such things about Gram. [WHY WOULD THEY? GRAM ISN'T YOUR FATHER. HOW ABOUT: THEY'D NEVER SAY SUCH THINGS ABOUT ME]

I'd read it.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I'll go along with wbriggs except for the "They’d never say such things about Gram" line. I thought it was great. To me, it was the hook.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
You are going for present tense here, and doing a pretty good job so far, but (there's that but) the tense is weird in this paragraph:

quote:
Sometimes, after I’ve (I have) heard Gram praying over unpaid bills, I’ll (I will) come out here by the lake and hold the lock in my hand, staring at my reflection and wondering if just the sight of me only adds to her burdens. I’ll (I will) grip the chunk of brass, wanting to toss it into the water, knowing I never will.

When the contractions are restored, the paragraph reads like - When I see Gram doing that, sometimes I will go to the lake and will want to throw the lock in. - That's fine, but then I read this:

quote:
Yet, for once, it’s not Gram’s prayers that have gotten to me. Instead it’s the fact that she’s somehow managed to buy me some nice used terrariums, while from my father I get nothing. Not a card. Not even a phone call. Giving my face one last appraisal, I curse the harsh features he passed to me, spit into the water, then turn to the bicycle rack.

I understand that you really mean - Sometimes when I see Gram praying over bills I go to the lake, but today I am here because she bought me a gift that she could not afford. -

But when I first read it, it didn't read that way. He seemed to be remembering how he has felt before, what triggered it, and then what he will do, but then we find out that he is not just telling us he will go to the lake, he is already there.

Does that make sense?

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I just tried to post a somewhat lengthy response to this and now it's not there. I have no idea where it went. Grrrrrr. I'm not going to type it again right now. Maybe later. Sigh.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Wenderella
Member # 2464

- posted      Profile for Wenderella   Email Wenderella         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm new here, so don't hurt me, but...

Does the character really have to look at his/her own reflection to wonder if his/her presence is a burden? I would think a character could think this without having them see their reflection...

[This message has been edited by Wenderella (edited March 30, 2005).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Crotalus
Member # 2345

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 

All in all, very helpful critiques.

HSO, glad you liked this one better. I'd be interested though to know what punctuation woes you are referring to. Seems to me that you didn't like my overuse of commas last time, so maybe that's it.

wbriggs, I may take you up on sending you the whole thing. It's about 3k words long. Though I'm curious, if the 'father abandonment' issue doesn't do it for you, then why offer to read the whole thing? The father/son relationship is a huge part of the story. Here's your last chance to renig.

NewsBys, thanks, I agree the tense thing might be a little confusing. I may try something that will hopefully simplify and clear out some contractions.

Wenderella, I wouldn't hurt a fly. The reason I had him associate his reflection with burdening Gram is the fact that he resembles his father so much. The father is the one that initially burdened Gram by leaving her with his son.

By the way, the main character is male. That is revealed in two more paragraphs.

Christine, please do try again. I really do appreciate feedback.

Jaina, I didn't intentionally try to start "in media res". And I'm not sure if I agree that I did. Either way, it's a viable and common method. Thanks for the comment, but I'm going to keep my first paragraph as is.

And finally Kolona, Thanks. I like that line too.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I will go ahead and give it another try now that I've gone off and done some productive things for a few hours.

First, I wanted to encourage you to respond to other people's posts. This forum thrives on give and take, and even if you do not feel quite competent to respond, your opinion is all that is asked and the best you can give.

Then I went on to compliment the incredible imagery in this opening. It is not the stereotypical hook, but we were discussing the amateur nature of the stereotypical hook recently in open discussion. What you did was set up character, conflict, and some telling details. In general, it was well done.

My only concern was the tense. If you stay here long enough, you will become quite aware that I am almost always opposed to first person present tense stories, but that isn't entirely the issue I saw here. First, before I could give you my lecture on the badness of this tense in first person (all IMHO, of course ) I have to be convinced that it is written in that tense at all. At first, it didn't read that way. It read like a narrator looking back and musing. Much musing takes place in present tense and so it did not seem like youw er oging there. And then you introduced something that the character has done in the past and continues to do, not in specific, but in general. Again, I did not feel it was written in the first person present tense. When you talk about something you do all the time, it often comes out that way. I might way something like: I sometimes go to the park and listen to the children play. This phrasing indicates that it is continuing, not that it is *currently* happening. I hope that made sense.

Then the general thing seemed to turn into something more specific, but the tense did not change to reflect this. It happens by the last sentence of that paragraph, but I'm not clear on when the transition happens. It was jarring by the time I realized it was happening. It seemed to me as if the way you're telling this story there are two present tenses. The present tense of a narrator musing and relaying the story (Probably on paper because that's the way I usually envision first person but not necessarily.) and the present tense of a time before the story is being relayed that is actually the past but being told in present tense.

Now, because of my well known distaste for the nonsensical and dreamlike nature of first person present tense, I will recommend first that you go to past tense to tell the action of your story. I will add that despite what it seems should happen, readers tend to feel more distant from the story when reading in present tense. This is why it comes across as dreamlike and so can work well as a dream device.

Then, if you must go with present tense, I suggest only that you smooth this over and make it more consistent. Since I'm not very good at present tense I'm afraid I can't go into much detail here. All I can say is that it always goes much better if it is apparent from the start what tense you are writing in, and that readers will come in with a predisposed assumption that it is past tense.

I hope this helps.

HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Punctuation woes primarily in this passage

quote:
Sometimes, when we stop by Gram’s shop, the customers just rave when they find out who Susie is; Dr. Preston is such a brave man to be rearing you by himself. He must be such a good father.

The semicolon is inappropriate. And I feel the "raves" should be in quotes. Of course, you don't need to put them in quotes, you can leave them off and let the narrative fly, but then you need something to offset it like this:

Sometimes, when we stop by Gram’s shop, the customers just rave when they find out who Susie is: [colon] Dr. Preston is such a brave man to be rearing you by himself, someone says. He must be such a good father, says another.

One thing I noticed on the second readthrough is starting your sentences similarly, specifically using "Sometimes," I dunno, I missed it last time, but it stuck out this time. Consider using another word or starting your sentence in a different fashion.

Then again, if you use this frequently, it becomes a quirk of the narrator/character. And that can be advantageous. It just depends on what you're going for, I suppose.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Wenderella
Member # 2464

- posted      Profile for Wenderella   Email Wenderella         Edit/Delete Post 
I take back what I said then. Its hard to get a full grasp of someones story with just the first 13 lines. I'm still getting the hang of this critiquing thing.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

Wenderella, never take back what you say. You can change your mind, but your opinion was yours at the time and there was a reason for it. I don't even think it was a bad suggestion, for what it's worth.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Crotalus, I'll still read. (What I said was that "father abandonment" DOES interest me, so it was surprising to me that I didn't feel hooked . . . but I'm willing to see if I'm hooked later on!)
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.