Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Breed

Author Topic: Breed
ablelaz
Member # 2446

- posted      Profile for ablelaz   Email ablelaz         Edit/Delete Post 
(Breed) is an outdoor adventure about 6000 words.Here`s the first thirteen lines.

The man known as Breed was the son of a French Canadian fur trapper by the name of Louis Levine and a Huron squaw. At age two or three years his mother died. Louis took the boy the Huron camp of his mother and he was raised in the tongue of the Huron till age seven.
One day his father came to the camp and said, “It’s time you learned the ways of the white man.”
Life as he knew it cease to exist under the tutoring of his father. He was taught to speak and write French, a little English, but mostly about the bush, tracking, trapping and the skills necessary to stay alive in this harshest of environments. Louis Levine must have loved his son in his own way, but he was a hard man in a savage land, showing emotion was not his style. Lessons were taught to the tune of fists on flesh and savage beatings were rather common. The boy, referred to by his father simply as Breed, grow up thinking at first that Breed was his first name. Life with his father came to an abrupt and savage end about two months after his fifteenth birthday. The day started with his father opening a bottle. Louis Levine was a binge drinker, he drank rarely, but when he drank he drank till it was gone. He had gone to the post with a bale of furs yesterday, so the three bottles he brought back with him would be finished to-day.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Wenderella
Member # 2464

- posted      Profile for Wenderella   Email Wenderella         Edit/Delete Post 
I would cut back on the word "savage" and use another similar word instead. You use it at least 3 different times here.

I would also break up the text you have posted into more paragraphs and explore each one a tad bit more. You began by explaining who Breed was, and then jumped into what happened to him when his father shows up one day, and then you jumped again to show something thats taken place in the present day.

Just some input.
Regards,
Wenderella

[This message has been edited by Wenderella (edited April 01, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Wenderella (edited April 01, 2005).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to expand on what Wenderella said regarding exploring Breed's background. Please forgive me if this comes out harsh.

As it stands, this excerpt reads like something out of a dull history book. Though I'm sure Breed has had a fascinating life (the info you've given hints at that) I have no interest because you've taken too long to explain too little.

If you'd begun with a scene from Breed's life (the day his father takes him from the Hurons for example), and shown me how he felt and what he thought as he tried to get used to the life of a fur trapper, it would have been easier for me to get involved in your story. I would definitely have cared more about a seven year old who's being ripped away from the only community he's known than the sketch you've put up here.

There are other problems with this excerpt that I won't mention because I think it's more important to focus on writing a scene instead of a summary. Everything else can wait.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack! It's always nice to see another Canuck hanging around.

On to the baptism by fire... oh, I mean crit...
-----------
The man known as Breed was the son of a French Canadian fur trapper by the name of Louis Levine and a Huron squaw.(While this introduces your character right away, it isn't super catchy and could probably be intoduced later.) At age two or three years his mother died.(This sentence is redundant -- you could say, "At age two or three..." or you could say, "At two or three years of age..." You do not need both.) Louis took the boy the Huron camp of his mother and he was raised in the tongue of the Huron till age seven.(You begin things by not setting a definite age for Breed, now we know for sure he is seven? Later you also make reference to him being fifteen. I think part of the issue is that you haven't established a character for POV -- not that you have to -- but if this is an omniscient narrator, he would know the times, dates and ages relevant to the story. If the POV is connected to a specific character, then either they know the age or they don't. If this is going to be from Breed's point of view, he may not know how old he was when his mom died, but then his POV should be established sooner, imo.)

One day his father came to the camp and said, “It’s time you learned the ways of the white man.” Presumably while Breed is seven?

Life as he knew it ceased to exist under the tutoring of his father. He was taught to speak and write French, a little English, but mostly about the bush, tracking, trapping and the skills necessary to stay alive in this harshest of environments.(I have a few cousins who are raised English/French bi-lingual. All of them were already speaking both languages by the time they were three. Even if Breed has not been exposed to French for four years or so, it is unlikely he would have to re-learn everything about speaking French. From your setting, it sounds like this tribe interacts with the cours-de-bois, so French and possibly English would probably be spoken around Breed. Also, it is likely that Breed has already been exposed to some survival, tracking and trapping techniques because he growing up in a Huron camp. He would continue to learn things from his father as he gets older, and it is much different living on your own as opposed to living in a community, but that is not what your words are communicating.) Louis Levine must have loved his son in his own way, but he was a hard man in a savage land, showing emotion was not his style. Lessons were taught to the tune of fists on flesh and savage beatings were rather common. The boy, referred to by his father simply as Breed, grow up thinking at first that Breed was his first name.(This sentence is awkward. I've had to read a few times to make sure I'm reading it the right way.) Life with his father came to an abrupt and savage end about two months after his fifteenth birthday. The day started with his father opening a bottle. Louis Levine was a binge drinker, he drank rarely, but when he drank he drank till it was gone. He had gone to the post with a bale of furs yesterday, so the three bottles he brought back with him would be finished to-day.(Actually this whole part of the paragraph feels awkward. I think it could all be said in a far more direct way that would remove the confussion.)

--------

I know there are a lot of comments there, and hopefully they don't sound too harsh. I think a lot of this boils down to the fact that you are telling me all about Breed, without letting me see things myself. You are giving a history lesson, a biography, without showing me anything that might engage me directly.

Basically everything here is backstory and the real story is about to begin this fateful day when Louis gets drunk and subsequently dies. So why not start there? Everything else can be woven into the story later.

Best of luck, and again, Welcome.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited April 01, 2005).]

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. This is all background.

Identify where the story actually starts and begin there. What event was it that began the 'quest' that Breed undertakes? It probably wasn't his father's removing him from his home. It MIGHT start with the day his father dies.

The last three sentences are the most interesting to me. The only thing here, really that makes me want to read more. So start there.

"Breed's life with his father came to an abrupt and savage end a couple of months after his fifteenth birthday."

Now that's not a half bad opening line!

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It's basically summary. It's conventional wisdom around here -- and correct I think, that you should "show, don't tell" the parts that should be shown, and tell the parts that should be told. For me, usually, the parts that should be told are the boring parts, for example, "John spent the whole afternoon looking, to no avail."

But the purpose of that is to GET to the interesting parts, quickly. What are the interesting parts in your story? If it's his adulthood, I suggest you start there. If it's growing up with Dad (and I think that would interest me, a lot!), start out there. Something with what Breed saw, heard, felt, or did in the moment, or possibly dialog.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi and welcome to Hatrack!

I agree with most of the comments noted above, so I won't just reiterate them. I would say, however, that there is a reason you wanted to write this story, and that there is something you have to say about Breed. Why don't you start out by stating your thesis right at the start? Something like, 'Although Breed's life had been hard, and he had no reason to trust his fellow man, somehow, somehow he felt that it was not right to live without trust.'

By stating your thesis up front, you are clearly signalling the reader (in this example) that you intend to show them why Breed 1) had no reason to trust, and 2) that there was something about Breed that made him wise in this respect, and 3) that there is a story to tell that will validate Breed's inchoate need to trust.

Given all that, the reader will more likely be willing to read about Breed's history, as the reader is trusting you to come through in the end. You have made a social contract with your reader, and (hoepfully) you will abide by the contract. IMHO anyway.

Also, I read your self-introduction and I see that we (your fellow Hatrackers) never got around to answering your questions regarding critiquing. Here's a link to some sites that might answer some of your questions: http://www.munsil.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=113

Regards, and keep plugging away. You have a story to tell. That's the hard part. The rest is just mechanics.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
ablelaz
Member # 2446

Hi Gang --- Thanks for the critiques, overall I think you did a fantastic job considering you only had thirteen lines to work with. I’m a newbie to this s site and made a remark in another thread about thinking that thirteen lines was not enough to give a reader much in sight on what an author is trying to do. I must admit I was surprised at the conceptions of where this story was going. Here is some history of where this story came from, and then I will get into what I’m trying to do with it.
Many of my short stories are about the northland along the tree line in Northern Ontario, trapping and tracking, living off the land in this, the harshest of environments. I lived that life for about three years and it was the most awe inspiring three years of my life.
Many of my short stories are about the fur harvest and the character I met and heard stories about.
Breed is one that I actually met once. I had heard stories about his exploits, that were hard to believe, but after meeting him I thought anything is possible.
I’m trying to present Breed as a character that I can utilize several time. Perhaps a series of Breed stories, each one covering one of his exploits. That is why the first thirteen lines read like a history lesson. I wanted to get some history on him established so in the future I could just hint back to it. Maybe the way I’m going about this is the wrong way to achieve my goals; I have never tried to do this before.
If you had read the next thirteen lines I’m sure you would have seen this is a showing story. I was surprised that a couple of the critters seem to have perceived the death of Breed’s father, he does die but not till near the end.
Talk to you soon---ablelaz

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I’m trying to present Breed as a character that I can utilize several time. Perhaps a series of Breed stories, each one covering one of his exploits. That is why the first thirteen lines read like a history lesson. I wanted to get some history on him established so in the future I could just hint back to it. Maybe the way I’m going about this is the wrong way to achieve my goals; I have never tried to do this before.

Okay...I can see what you are trying to do and I think you can resolve the story issues in one of a couple of ways.

First idea: Go with a prologue or historical bio before jumping into the story. Write a this section as a biography or use a story-line style and introduce everyone to Breed: The Man. This would set everything up asbeing based on a real person. Considering who your audience is likely to be, the historical intro -- up front -- could be effective.

Second idea: Weave the facts of who Breed is into the fabric of the story instead of info-dumping, and consider adding an appendix or endnotes that give the more academic version of the real Breed.

Either of these concepts would probably work for you, but they do set slightly different tones and appeal differently to readers.

quote:
If you had read the next thirteen lines I’m sure you would have seen this is a showing story. I was surprised that a couple of the critters seem to have perceived the death of Breed’s father, he does die but not till near the end.

The reason I thought Breed's father died right away, was because of the sentence, "Life with his father came to an abrupt and savage end about two months after his fifteenth birthday." I had to read it a couple of times to make sure I was reading it correctly and it turns out I still didn't get it. This sentence put the idea of death in my mind, and the description of Louis as a binge drinker (something I had guessed already), made me think that this story is really beginning on the day Breed's dad is going to die and we'll see Breed strike out on his own.

Re-reading it again with the actual intention in mind, I do get the meaning of the sentence the way it is supposed to be read, but I think there is a better way of saying it to avoid any confusion.

[Edited to say, if you'd like to e-mail the entire story to me, I'd be willing to do a critique for you. 6000 could take a few days to do a deep crit, but I like the story concept and do enjoy a good back-woods story. Some of my favourite books include the Leatherstocking Tales by James Fenimore Cooper.]

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited April 06, 2005).]

ablelaz
Member # 2446

Hi Robyn Hood--Thanks for the generous offer, I just have to figure out how to E-mail you.I don`t have your Email adress, but there must be a lodical way of getting it, I just haven`t figured it out yet.
Robin Hood and his merry men was always one of my childhood treasures. I spent countless hours poring over the advensures of Robin Hood.
Talk to you soon---ablelaz.

Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

My e-mail is in my profile.

Next to the date at the top of each post there are three icons:

- a face with a ?
- a postcard/letter
- a piece of paper with a pencil

If you click on the first one it opens up the person's personal profile which tells you a little bit about the person and lists their e-mail (if they've included it).

The second icon begins an e-mail for the person directly from your computer using your ISP account. I've noticed several of the people here tend to use internet e-mail accounts for conversing instead of their ISP e-mail, but that is a personal choice.

The last icon allows you to go back and edit your post after you've submitted it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.