Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Elements - rewrite

Author Topic: Elements - rewrite
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all.

It's round 2 on King Arthur...

This is a fantasy short story, just under 7.5k words - what I've described before as a proto-King Arthur legend. I'm looking for readers too.

R

quote:

Iasc kept his eyes fixed on Gwalchmai’s back as the warrior rode ahead of him. His own shaggy pony was a foul tempered beast as likely to take a chunk out of your arm as soon as look at you. The fact that she spent most of her time struggling to match the pace of Gwalchmai’s smooth gaited mount, Ereborne, might have excused her temper, if Iasc was feeling generous. But really, there was no comparing the two animals.

Much like Gwalchmai and himself.

But Iasc would see himself damned before he would ask Gwalchmai of the Setantii to give him quarter. The warrior’s tribe might have given the province of Uladh her legendary hero, but it didn’t mean that Iasc had to grovel before him and cry his pardon at every turn. The Hound of Culainn was long dead. And until recently, the Setantii were nothing but enforcers of the Roman walls, keeping the Picts out of the Gododdin. He didn’t even belong in Eriu.

As if sensing his thoughts, his companion looked back. Iasc scowled at him, hating his warrior build, his blue eyes, even the way he sat his horse

[This message has been edited by RFLong (edited April 07, 2005).]

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is much smoother than the last version. I like the topic and the characters that you introduce. If this is the beginning there is a little bit of info. overload, especially in the third paragraph between "Gwalchmai, the Setantii, province of Uladh, legendary hero, and the Hound of Culainn". This is not completely clear as written.

If you are looking for a reader, I would be interested. I can't promise a quick turn around, but I'll do my best(May take a week or more). Send to fsilv01s@uis.edu

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 2478

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the term is "hooked". Yes, that's the word. I wouldn't mind giving the story a look over, but I don't know much about the time period you're basing it off of so I may not fully grasp the story, but I don't need to know nothing about anything.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in giving it a read. And I agree, this is a much better intro.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
RFLong
Member # 1923

- posted      Profile for RFLong           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys

hopefully the time period won't be too great an issue. It's the story that counts when you come down to it. I will send it on as soon as possible. I don't have the file to hand at the moment. It will be this evening at the latest.

Thanks a million
R

Posts: 284 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.