Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rancor

Author Topic: Rancor
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a flash, only 500 words; I'd love a few hypercritical readers for the whole thing.

Nellie's rancor was born, angry and squalling, from ten thousand things: the sensible shoes her mother made her wear in first grade when all the other girls wore sparkly sandals, the scar on her right cheek from the car accident she had in college, the strangers who'd stared, the jobs she didn't get and the jobs she'd never dreamed she could have, the loves she'd lost and been forgotten by, even the dingy walls of her tiny apartment. She picked it up and held it to her breast and determined to love it always, for it was hers.

In the mornings, Nellie woke her rancor up and fed it bitter gall and wormwood. After breakfast, she would take it to the park for some fresh air. For lunch she fed it grilled cheese sandwiches, charred well on both sides. In the afternoons her rancor napped while Nellie did her chores. For dinner her rancor dined upon curdled milk and rotten eggs. At night it slept uneasily, and often woke Nellie when its nightmares made it shriek.

Edited to add: there is one sentence that contains offensive language.

[This message has been edited by Beth (edited April 11, 2005).]

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr_Megalomaniac
Member # 2478

- posted      Profile for Mr_Megalomaniac   Email Mr_Megalomaniac         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the begining to this story and would also like to give it a look. I don't know if I'm hypercritical, but I can try to be ruthless and unforgiving. I have two other works at the moment, one I'm almost done with and another that isn't too long a story, but hopefully after I get my 3 tests done with by tommorow I'll have enough free time to look over them all by tommorow or the next day.

And aren't those things in Star Wars that Luke killed on Tattoine in Return of the Jedi called rancors?

Posts: 39 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I swear that this has nothing to do with Star Wars.

and thanks, I'll send it to you shortly.

RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.loresdelsith.net/universo/aliens/bin/rancor05.jpg
That's funny... if you want to try for publications, you might want to change the name before you get George Lucas after you...

But anyways, I can tacle a 500 word peice... depending on how I work my own writing schedule in the next couple of days, it really shouldn't take me too long to get through...

Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Hot dang! Send it over.

Edited to add: Um...We do all know that "rancor" is noun which means bitter resentment, usually over a long period of time, right? This is about emotion, not a bizarre SF animal.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited April 11, 2005).]

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
RavenStarr
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for RavenStarr   Email RavenStarr         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I knew that, I was joking. I didn't really believe that she was so unconsoiusly influenced by Star Wars... that'd be kinda disturbing otherwise...
Posts: 183 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

yes, if Mr. Lucas has any concerns, I'd be happy to refer him to a dictionary.

Thanks for volunteering; it's on its way.

Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds pretty good so far. I was wondering why she would let her rancor rest while she did chores though. It seems she would wake it fully at that point to help make the chores go quicker. Anyway, I would like to read the whole thing. Send it to fsilv01s@uis.edu.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.

I owe -- what -- a half-dozen crits or so? Looking forward to returning the favor.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read. My comment so far: when Nellie picked it up and held it to her breast, I didn't know what "it" was until the next paragraph. Might just say "Nellie picked her rancor up ..."
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmyjazz951
Member # 2443

- posted      Profile for jimmyjazz951   Email jimmyjazz951         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to read it.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Thanks; on its way!
Edythe
Member # 2488

- posted      Profile for Edythe   Email Edythe         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about the holding 'it' to her breast, bit confusing.
And I'd like to see the rest of it too if you want to send it on.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

Thanks, Edythe, I'll send it out.

Then I think I've got enough opinions for now. I'm planning on posting a few other stories over the next few weeks - hopefully I haven't used up all your attention on this one!

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
No cause for concern. I believe Mr. Lucas spelled it 'ranchor', not 'rancor.' And the ranchor was the tall gribbly monster in the pit at Jabba the Hut's domain in Return of the Jedi. I always liked that scene where, after the ranchor is killed, the keeper cries for it. Even monsters have someone who loves 'em.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Wenderella
Member # 2464

- posted      Profile for Wenderella   Email Wenderella         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to read it too!
Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

oh, wenderella, thanks! I appreciate it. but I have as much feedback as I can handle lined up already. I hope you'll be willing to take a look at another story of mine in the near future instead.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.