Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Eyes of Infinity

Author Topic: Eyes of Infinity
Inkwell
Member # 1944

- posted      Profile for Inkwell   Email Inkwell         Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, all. This is the intro of a 'space fantasy' short story I just started. It's pretty rough at the moment, with some significant plot flaws to work out (though they won't affect the first two paragraphs). I just wanted to see what you thought of the initial tone of the tale, more than actual mechanics of the story. How does it sound?

--------------------------------------------
Eyes of Infinity (v1)

The stars danced before Rook’s inward eyes, tumbling and pulsating in an endless rhythm that could have been the heartbeat of reality. The throbbing tempest confused him, as it always did in the beginning. Then his mind adjusted to the fact that the stars were not moving. He, his consciousness, was moving amongst the stars. Rook's perspective shifted again, focusing first on one of those glowing orbs, then on a planet that circled it. He concentrated, forcing more clarity into the mental image.

At first the verdant world was awash in blinding light, far more intense than his breathtaking view of the galaxy had been. As he focused, shapes began to emerge, their outlines glowing in that same rhythmic pattern. Like a man recovering from snow blindness, he saw them...his parents. They were still alive. Incredibly, the Mark of Rhen had not yet discovered their refuge. His father looked well, albeit worried. There was ample cause for that, seeing as how their people were being hunted like animals throughout known space.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

Posts: 366 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that this opening works pretty well. You've managed to create a clear imagery and outline an interesting premise in just a couple of paragraphs. The tone of the language matches both quite well without resorting to overly specialized terms.

There were a couple of minor hiccups. You say, "his mind adjusted to the fact that the stars were not moving." But it seems likely that you mean he adjusted to the apparent motion of the stars. And while it probably doesn't need to be stated that he focused on the star until he could make out the planet, you might not want to take the chance.

And there is a problem with "that same rhythmic pattern." At first I read it in isolation from the first line, where you mention the " endless rhythm that could have been the heartbeat of reality." It didn't make much sense on its own. Then I read it in proximity to the first line, and I didn't like the effect.

Overall, I think that this text is a bit terse for the chosen tone and content. But the tone still comes through and there isn't a serious problem with clarity either, so I'd say it's a pretty minor concern.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
So Rook can use mental powers to look at people living on different planets? Is this a machine-generated effect or self-generated? I found the start a bit confusing and you may want to flesh it out with a few detail drop-ins on how the vision/image is generated. The "inward eyes" threw me, too, since I couldn't quite picture them -- again, detail drop-ins would help.

I think it is a good start -- though, like Survivor indicated, the pace/feel does become a little terse and hurried once the father comes into focus.

I'd be happy to look at it as you develop it.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It confused me. I think it's fixable. Details:

The stars danced before Rook’s inward eyes, [huh?] tumbling and pulsating in an endless rhythm [stars tumble? pulsate? in rhythm? I don't believe it, and I can't picture it] that could have been the heartbeat of reality [what would "heartbeat of reality" mean?]. The throbbing tempest confused him [me, too!], as it always did in the beginning. Then his mind adjusted to the fact that the stars were not moving. He, his consciousness, was moving amongst the stars. [NOW I get what the "inner eyes" comment meant.] Rook's perspective shifted again, focusing first on one of those glowing orbs, then on a planet that circled it. He concentrated, forcing more clarity into the mental image.

At first the verdant world was awash in blinding light, far more intense than his breathtaking view of the galaxy had been. [If the light's blinding, how can he tell it's verdant?] As he focused, shapes began to emerge, their outlines glowing in that same rhythmic pattern. [More planets?] Like a man recovering from snow blindness, he saw them...his parents. [Whoa -- we must have really zoomed in, without me realizing!] They were still alive. Incredibly, the Mark of Rhen had not yet discovered their refuge. His father looked well, albeit worried. [And now zoomed in further, so we can see expressions.] There was ample cause for that, seeing as how their people were being hunted like animals throughout known space.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it works well and doesn't really need fixes to convey its message. For me, the gradual zooming is conveyed precisely by what the character sees, and I don't see any reason to say something like "he zoomed further in" without weighing the story down.
Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

quote:
Posted by Survivor:
There were a couple of minor hiccups. You say, "his mind adjusted to the fact that the stars were not moving." But it seems likely that you mean he adjusted to the apparent motion of the stars. And while it probably doesn't need to be stated that he focused on the star until he could make out the planet, you might not want to take the chance.

True on both counts. I think I will clarify the second point a bit in the first rewrite, but not too much. I want to keep that opening paragraph as concise as possible, without sacrificing quality of description.

quote:
And there is a problem with "that same rhythmic pattern." At first I read it in isolation from the first line, where you mention the " endless rhythm that could have been the heartbeat of reality." It didn't make much sense on its own. Then I read it in proximity to the first line, and I didn't like the effect.

I kind of hesitated when I first typed "rhythmic pattern," noticing that it didn't mesh well with that earlier bit of description. Still, I left it in, wanting to see if anyone else found it...inappropriate. I'm glad the proof worked. Thanks for the comments, Survivor.

quote:
Posted by Lanius:
So Rook can use mental powers to look at people living on different planets?

Yep.

quote:
Is this a machine-generated effect or self-generated? I found the start a bit confusing and you may want to flesh it out with a few detail drop-ins on how the vision/image is generated.

Neither, actually. A bit of background information on this is worked into the story later on (I didn't want to crowd the intro with extremely detailed exposition). In a nutshell, Rook's ability has something to do with genetic engineering and biotechnology. You could say machines helped create the ability, but he himself generates the effect.

quote:
The "inward eyes" threw me, too, since I couldn't quite picture them -- again, detail drop-ins would help.

This bothered wbriggs as well, so I'll just explain. "Inward eyes" was just another way of saying 'mind's eye.' I thought it sounded less awkward (I could've said "inward eye, but leaving off the 's' would probably have been even more confusing). I didn't really expect this much trouble over the substitution...I think it's that pesky sci-fi reader literal interpretation thing, again (which I am also guilty of from time to time). You'd be surprised how few effective (direct) synonyms for 'mind's eye' there really are. Might be a good game to play in here.

quote:
I think it is a good start -- though, like Survivor indicated, the pace/feel does become a little terse and hurried once the father comes into focus.

I'd be happy to look at it as you develop it.

I agree. That last bit could be loosened up a bit. I wanted the pace to be a little terse, as you call it. Such a tone sets up the scenes to follow. I'd be happy to have you look at it once I've gotten a bit more down on paper. Thanks for the offer.

My thanks go out to all who've commented so far, and to those yet to post their opinions. I hope to have a v2 rewrite up within the next few days.

Inkwell
-----------------
"The difference between a writer and someone who says they want to write is merely the width of a postage stamp."
-Anonymous

jhust
Member # 2499

- posted      Profile for jhust   Email jhust         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a very cool scene. Here are my comments:

"The stars danced before Rook’s inward eyes, tumbling and pulsating in an endless rhythm that could have been the heartbeat of reality."
I was a bit confused by this line as well. I read somewhere that in a sci-fi story, people take things too literally very early on, because anything is possible at that point. Inward eyes, to me, was some kind of sunken or inverted eye mechanism. I didn't make the metaphysical connection at all. I assumed the guy was an alien with weird eye features, probably because you mentioned stars.

"The throbbing tempest confused him, as it always did in the beginning."
Why not, for the sake of brevity:
This throbbing tempest always confused him in the beginning.

"Then his mind adjusted to the fact that the stars were not moving. He, his consciousness, was moving amongst the stars."
These bug me, and I can't figure out why. I think it is because they are *very* closely related, and instead of a conjunction or semicolon, they are separated and the second part feels like a missing piece of information tacked on. The second sentence feels very "matter of fact", more to the reader than of Rook's own realization.

"He concentrated, forcing more clarity into the mental image."
I like this sentence very much. It shows the degree of effort needed to maintain the process.

"Like a man recovering from snow blindness. . ."
I think the simile fits, but it clashed with my assumption that he wasn't human and would probably have no concept of snow blindness.

"He saw them. . .his parents."
Probably a colon here instead of ellipses. Minor quibble.

"There was ample cause for that, seeing as how their people were being hunted like animals throughout known space."
This seems like in-your-face exposition. How does Rook feel about this hunting? It might seem more natural if you work it in based on that.
"Rook shared his father's worry. His parents did not deserve to be hunted like animals."
or something like that.

Some minor spatial details: Is he sitting? Are his eyes closed? I guess they aren't really relevant, but might add to the scene, since you already mentioned the degree of effort required.

Finally, would it make the tale more interesting if he was in fact used to the process and could merely notice the side-effects of it, yet simply wave them away? He has apparently done it several times. You might be able to retain the desired purpose of the scene without being forced to spell things out for the reader.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

Here’s my first rewrite of the intro. I’m working on applying several changes in plot dynamics throughout the draft (you might notice the name changes in the last three sentences). I hope this sounds a little better and/or is an improvement in terms of clarity. Actually, I am more concerned that the changes degraded the intro. Any thoughts? Reassurances? Castigations?

Eyes of Infinity (v2)

The stars danced before Rook’s inward eyes, tumbling and pulsating in an endless rhythm that might have been the heartbeat of reality. The throbbing tempest always confused him at first, until his mind could adapt to the illusion. His control returned with the realization that it was his consciousness moving amongst the stars, not the reverse. Rook's perspective shifted again, focusing first on one of the glowing orbs, then on a world that circled it. He concentrated, forcing more clarity into the mental image.

At first the planet was awash in blinding light, far more intense than his breathtaking view of the galaxy had been. As he focused, familiar shapes began to emerge, their outlines glowing briefly as his sight sharpened. Continents, then cities, resolved in his mind’s eye. Then, like a man recovering from snow blindness, he saw them. His parents were still alive. Incredibly, the Mark of Skotadi had not yet discovered their refuge. Rage banished relief as he thought of his people, a race now hunted like animals throughout the galaxy. The Mark had butchered entire worlds, slaughtering billions of innocents in their crusade against the Orasi.

Inkwell
-----------------
-Anonymous

Kazander42
Member # 2505

- posted      Profile for Kazander42   Email Kazander42         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the rewrite is definitely more effective than the first, but I am not fond of the last two lines:

Rage banished relief as he thought of his people, a race now hunted like animals throughout the galaxy. The Mark had butchered entire worlds, slaughtering billions of innocents in their crusade against the Orasi.

Much of the imagery seems too generic, especially when juxtaposed to the more exotic imagery of the first paragraph. Rage banished relief just tells the reader how he feels, maybe use an expression or body language to convey his mood, something as simple as "His fist clenched when he thought of his people" or if you do not want to use his actual body, as he is mind-roving the galaxy, the image could lose clarity as his anger disrupts his concentration, or just the opposite, intense detail could be burned into his mind because of the focus brought on by his rage, similar to the physical effect (sorry to use this image again) of the impressions left after clenching an object in one's fist. The rest of the imagery, especially "hunted like animals" and "butchered entire worlds" are just flat and uninteresting, they get the job done but they are so plain compared to the elegance of the first paragraph.

Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Kazander42 (edited April 20, 2005).]

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...the concern about "hunted like animals" might be legit. But overall I think that it is "Rage banished relief" that jarred me loose. Not because it's a cliche, but because it seems so senseless.

If it is indeed typical for an Orasian to suddenly become enraged on encountering good news, I can see why there would be a concerted effort to make sure they didn't get it very often, particularly given their apparent abilities.

Perhaps some other, less violent emotion could overwhelm his relief. Certainly, consciousness of the grave danger that his parents must still face would be sufficient cause to temper any celebratory feeling.

You're right to be concerned about "Mark of Skotadi". "Skotadi" doesn't appear to be defined. Orasi works fine for me, though.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Inkwell
Member # 1944

quote:
Posted by Kazander42:
The rest of the imagery, especially "hunted like animals" and "butchered entire worlds" are just flat and uninteresting, they get the job done but they are so plain compared to the elegance of the first paragraph.

Good point. I think I'll either cut those two lines entirely and begin a new, more sophisticated paragraph, or heavily revise them. If the rest of v2 is an improvement over the original, I'll leave it as is.

quote:
Posted by Survivor:
Hmmm...the concern about "hunted like animals" might be legit. But overall I think that it is "Rage banished relief" that jarred me loose. Not because it's a cliche, but because it seems so senseless.

Senseless? Hmmm. I would agree on it being awkward, but not necessarily senseless. I know I would feel rage when thinking of my people being slaughtered mercilessly by an order of religious fanatics. Perhaps if I were to better describe his anger (or diminish rage to mere anger) the emotion would function as intended.

quote:
You're right to be concerned about "Mark of Skotadi". "Skotadi" doesn't appear to be defined. Orasi works fine for me, though.

Actually, the use of the word Skotadi is one thing I'm not worried about. It is actually the english translation of the greek word for darkness. Similarly, Orasi is the greek>english word for 'sight.' Skotadi will be explained later in this story as a religious order bent on wiping out the Orasi, since they worship a blind god and darkness in general. The Brothers of the Mark utilize advanced aural technology to navigate their surroundings, having put out their eyes as a show of devotion (and no, they are not as vulnerable to sonic weaponry as one might think...I said advanced aural tech, didn't I? ). I guess that's enough background information for one post. I'll see what I can do about those last two annoying sentences. Thanks for the comments, guys.

Inkwell
-----------------
-Anonymous

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.