Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Fallen Leaves

Author Topic: Fallen Leaves
Kazander42
Member # 2505

- posted      Profile for Kazander42   Email Kazander42         Edit/Delete Post 
A cool wind flows through the forest, blowing shoulder-length brown hair. The two men are identical in all but their eyes: Blue and Green. The smell of autumn is strong, dead leaves and dampness. They are garbed in black, the cloth sliding against lithe muscle like a second skin. Their hands hover by their swords, offering silent challenge. No words need be said. A leaf falls, floats to the ground between them. A bird call slices through the silence. Green’s mouth twists into a subtle smirk.
A sharp metallic ring accompanies Green’s sword sliding from its scabbard. Once clear, its crystalline tone fills the air. In this world, only one other sound matches its beauty. Flat of the blade on his forehead, he says: “Melody, be true to me this day.”

Posts: 71 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
What would you like us to do with this?

Are you offering up the whole story for crit? Or just this fragment?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kazander42
Member # 2505

- posted      Profile for Kazander42   Email Kazander42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious how well you guys think the opener is. Although if anyone would like to read the whole thing, its not terribly long.
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
What does "not terribly long" mean? A short novel? 73 words?

Personally, I don't like present tense, and usually when I see present tense, I'm too busy not liking it to really pay attention to what else is going on in the story. It gets in the way for me.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

Okay. Consider telling us how many words it is. A good format to use here on Hatrack is to state the genre, word count, and then what you would like, say readers for the whole thing, or just comments on the fragment. And whatever else you want to say to introduce the fragment. Then add frag, stir in some water, and presto! Insta-crit coming right at you!

Anyway, this is cinematic, but I'm not particularly engaged by it. It would do well in a video game introduction, except I don't like the fact that the narrator isn't telling me these warriors names. You have a clear setting established, and we see there is about to be a battle, but I have no inclination to care about Blue or Green, or even the setting as is....

Kazander42
Member # 2505

Yeah, I'm sorry I'm so vague today, I haven't even introduced myself on these boards yet, I'm not running on much sleep right now.

Anyway, its slightly over 1000 words, so, its a short little sucker.

Kazander42
Member # 2505

What I am really concerned with in this story is the dialogue; it has never seemed natural to me (but it may just be self-criticism). If anyone would like to read the whole thing, I would appreciate it greatly. It has been around a year since I have worked on this story, and I am open to completely tearing it apart and rewriting it to see where I can go with it, so all sorts of crazy suggestions would be cool. Thanks!
HSO
Member # 2056

Dialogue in fiction is difficult to do well for nearly anyone. It takes a long time to really get comfortable writing dialogue, in my opinion. I hate my dialogue... someday, when I'm better, I'll write good stuff.

People will be along shortly to critique... I apologize, but at the moment, I'm unable to take on any full stories for crit. I hope this changes by the weekend, though.

Good luck.

Jaina
Member # 2387

- posted      Profile for Jaina   Email Jaina         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as dialogue goes, read it out loud. Then read it out loud with a friend (like a script). If you can see yourself and/or people you know talking like that, you have a good indicator that your dialogue is on track. If it feels stupid to say it out loud (and I don't mean that it feels stupid to sit at your computer muttering to yourself, because you get over that... I've gotten to the point where I will get up and physically act out a scene that isn't working for me), it probably is too stupid to say out loud and it needs to be changed.
Posts: 437 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
What Jaina said.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't interest me. It's cinematic, so I don't know anyone's thoughts; I don't know anyone's name; I don't know who Melody is; I don't know what they're doing in this location. There's detail, but it isn't detail that tells me what I *really* want to know, which is: what's going on here?
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kazander42
Member # 2505

To wbriggs: It does get there, and explain everything. It's just a bit mysterious at first, and is written with very little narrative comment deliberately. I really do not like it when a narrator rambles on and explains how people feel and explains their actions, I feel that the character's actions and dialogue should convey all those things; unfortunately, these things are very difficult to convey in the first thirteen lines of a story. I enjoy fiction like Hemmingway's short stories or Joyce's Dubliners which do not actively tell the reader what is going on; the reader must figure things out on their own. That being said, as the story (only 1000 words, 2.5 pages double spaced ... quite a short and pleasant read for any takers!) after a little silent encounter does get on with things and lets the reader know what the heck is going on.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to take a look at it if you want to toss me a copy. Be patient however; I'm working a lot of overtime these days and may not be able to get to it until this weekend. Be sure to insert "HATRACK" in your email subject header so your email doesn't get tossed out with my SPAM about free drugs and enlargement products.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I decided to go poking around at some of your fragments tonight after making my post on Open Discussion. The penguin one was cute but had nothing to do with POV issues and everyone had already said what I was thinking so I skipped it.

In this one, I do see a problem that could be fixed by a different point of view. There are also other ways to fix it, though, so in light of the frustration you feel with the POV POV POV thing I'll just describe the problem.

It's distant. There are a lot of short, even choppy descriptions that are meaningless and even boring. I don't know who these people are, what they want, or why I should keep reading.

That's the brutal truth as you have probably come to expect from Hatrack.

I noticed you mentioning earlier that it gets there, it explains. Here's the trouble: I'm not going to be there when it gets there. In a short story, you have about thirteen lines to hook me, or at least intrigue me into continuing to look for that hook (I call it a little hook or a fish hook, but it didn't catch on).

Worse, I saw you say that you don't like the narrator explaining characters' feelings...you just want to see the action and let the reader get all that inofrmation. Well, there's a problem with that way of looking at things. It's called a movie, and it can do this better than you can. There is quite simply no need for a book in 2005 to simply describe actions. It's not a niche we can fill. We cannot possibly compete with the full visual effect of a movie.

Do not despair, for there is hope, but it may take a large shift in your world view. THere is something books can do that movies can't. Books can get inside people's heads. They can tell us what they're thinking and feeling. They can allow us to truly understand people as we cannot usually do, not even in real life, though we so desperately want to. (Read "Characters and Viewpoint" for a better explanation of all of this.)

Does this mean that you can't do a cinematic or omniscient viewpoint? No! Use whatever viewpoint you like, but you have to throw me a bone here. A thousand words is fast paced and may not even need the explanations or thoughts of a longer tale, but at least have the main characters doing something that catches my attention, something weird, something special.

And present tense annoys me too, for the record.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kazander42
Member # 2505

Ok, I'm, going to do something of a point by point defense here. I'm not really offended by any of this, so please don't take me as ungrateful for comments, but I would be interested in hearing what y'all think of my reasoning behind doing some of the things I have done. I'm gonna use caps just to seperate my text from Christine's, cuz I don't know how to do the cool line things and indentations and other quotey type stuff. I hope it doesn't make me look angry.

---------------------------------------
In this one, I do see a problem that could be fixed by a different point of view. There are also other ways to fix it, though, so in light of the frustration you feel with the POV POV POV thing I'll just describe the problem.

It's distant. There are a lot of short, even choppy descriptions that are meaningless and even boring. [THE CHOPPINESS IS A STYLISTIC DECISION WHICH I STAND BY. THINK HEMMINGWAY, ONLY NOT AS GOOD, HAHA. AS TO THE DESCRIPTIONS, SOME OF THEM WERE SIMPLY TO ADD ATMOSPHERE AND GIVE THE READER SOMETHING OF A SETTING, AS WELL AS FALL INTO THE THEME\IMAGERY OF FALLEN LEAVES. ANOTHER REASON FOR THE DESCRIPTION IN THE FIRST PARAGRAPH IS FOR THE FLOW OF THE WRITING. I ALTERNATED DESCRIPTIONS OF THE DUDES AND THE SETTING TO MAKE THE SHORT CHOPPY SENTENCES FIT TOGETHER BETTER; IT SEEMED TO MAKE THE PARAGRAPH FLOW BETTER. THE ONLY DETAIL I THINK IS TOTALLY USELESS IS THE SHOULDER LENGTH BROWN HAIR. THAT COULD GO.] I don't know who these people are, what they want, or why I should keep reading.
[YOU DO KNOW WHO THESE PEOPLE ARE. THEY ARE TWINS. THEY HAVE SOME SORT OF CONFLICT BETWEEN THEM (HENCE THE SWORDS). THERE IS THE SMIRK, WHICH ALONG WITH THE GREEN EYES HOPEFULLY SUGGESTS JEALOUSY. ALSO, NO WORDS NEED BE SAID, THEY ARE PAST ARGUMENT, BATTLE IS THEIR ONLY RECOURSE. THE FIRST PARAGRAPH SEEMS TO TELL QUITE A BIT ABOUT THE SITUATION TO AN ATTENTIVE READER]

That's the brutal truth as you have probably come to expect from Hatrack.

I noticed you mentioning earlier that it gets there, it explains. Here's the trouble: I'm not going to be there when it gets there. In a short story, you have about thirteen lines to hook me, or at least intrigue me into continuing to look for that hook (I call it a little hook or a fish hook, but it didn't catch on).
[I THINK WE NEED TO GIVE THE READER A LITTLE MORE CREDIT AS FAR AS ATTENTION SPAN, ESPECIALLY AS THERE ARE THINGS IN THE BEGINNING WHICH, THOUGH SUBTLE, DO GIVE SOMETHING BY WAY OF EXPLANATION OF THE PLOT TO COME]

Worse, I saw you say that you don't like the narrator explaining characters' feelings...you just want to see the action and let the reader get all that inofrmation. [NOT ALL THE TIME, JUST HERE, THERE IS A REASON FOR IT REVEALED LATER ON IN THE STORY, DEALING WITH THE NOTION OF IDENTITY IN BATTLE] Well, there's a problem with that way of looking at things. It's called a movie, and it can do this better than you can. [SAYS YOU] There is quite simply no need for a book in 2005 to simply describe actions. It's not a niche we can fill. We cannot possibly compete with the full visual effect of a movie. [I PERSONALLY LOVE THE ACT OF READING, AND STARK ACTION SERVES ITS PURPOSE IN SOME CASES, ESPECIALLY WHEN DIALOGUE EXPLAINS THE CHARACTERS FEELINGS AND BACKSTORIES MORE FULLY (THAT'S COMING UP IN A FEW LINES IN THE STORY)]

Do not despair, for there is hope, but it may take a large shift in your world view. THere is something books can do that movies can't. Books can get inside people's heads. They can tell us what they're thinking and feeling. They can allow us to truly understand people as we cannot usually do, not even in real life, though we so desperately want to. (Read "Characters and Viewpoint" for a better explanation of all of this.)
[PART OF WHAT MAKES READING SPECIAL IS THE READER CREATING MEANING OUT OF A TEXT, IT ALWAYS HAPPENS, BUT LEAVING THE READER WITHOUT A COMMENTING NARRATOR ACCENTUATES THIS. THERE ARE MANY FORMS OF READING, ALL OF WHICH ARE STILL VALID. THE ESSENCE OF THIS ARGUMENT IS THAT THE READER CONSTRUCTS THE TEXT AS MUCH AS THE AUTHOR, NOT EVERY READER IS LOOKING FOR EVERYTHING TO BE DONE FOR HIM OR HER]

Does this mean that you can't do a cinematic or omniscient viewpoint? No! Use whatever viewpoint you like, but you have to throw me a bone here. A thousand words is fast paced and may not even need the explanations or thoughts of a longer tale, but at least have the main characters doing something that catches my attention, something weird, something special.
[I WOULD REALLY LIKE YOU TO READ THIS AND THEN COMMENT UPON IT. YOUR ARGUMENT IS VALID, IT'S JUST THAT I HAVE PUT THOUGHT INTO MY CHOICES AND HAVE DECIDED THAT I LIKE THEM]

And present tense annoys me too, for the record. [HAHA, THATS JUST TOO BAD. I TRY NOT TO USE IT TOO MUCH, ALTHOUGH AS I AM WRITING IT FEELS MORE NATURAL TO ME, SO ITS HARD.]
-------------------------------------------
So there it is, I hope that some of my stylistic decisions seem more appropriate, and if anyone still disagrees, I would really love to hear it. But now my cards are on the table, and we can see if this is effective. But I would really ask that anyone who wishes to discuss with me my stylistic decisions (please please please!) read the whole thing, I'm still quite happy with it, it's one of my favorite pieces, and if I can make it better, I would love to do so. Thanks for bearing with me through this absurdly long response!

[This message has been edited by Kazander42 (edited April 22, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
No thanks necessary, since I didn't
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ok, I'm, going to do something of a point by point defense here.

Um no. You don't get to defend your work. Why not? Because if you send this out to a publisher who rejects it, you will not then get to send a point-by-point defense. If you do, he will think you are an idiot. He will definitely not think, "Oh, well, now that I understand...." It doesn't work that way! The story is what you get to say to the reader. All of it. You don't get to say another word more or less than the words that make up the story on the page.

Ok, I couldn't help myself. I peeked at your defense. Let me continue in the same vein I left it by adding that you don't get to tell me what I should have gotten out of a passage if I was paying attention. That is insulting on the one hand and arrogant on the other. Give me a reason to pay attention and I will. And not noticing hidden symbols is not the same as not paying attention. Symbols are best identified after a story has been read, not in progress, and it also works best if the author doesn't try to plant them. They are definitely not hints. I have green eyes. So what if your character does?

[This message has been edited by Christine (edited April 23, 2005).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

saying "HAHA, THATS JUST TOO BAD." is not a very effective technique for getting people to keep reading your work.
Kazander42
Member # 2505

I hope this quote works, otherwise I will look silly. I think this is how Jaina told me to do it . . .

quote:
saying "HAHA, THATS JUST TOO BAD." is not a very effective technique for getting people to keep reading your work.

Oh come now, its all in good fun, I am just answering an arbitrary statement with another. Christine stated that she personally does not like present tense. I, in turn, reply that that is how this story is, and it isn't going to change. I'm not trying to be offensive, but I can't do anything about someone not liking a particular form of writing. I look at it the same way as someone not liking a genre, its just a personal opinion that has no bearing on the rest of the critique, and which doesn't affect me in any way. I hold nothing against Christine for not liking present tense, but I happen to like it in this story. Thats all, meh.

Kazander42
Member # 2505

Looking back on the big response post, I must admit I am somewhat guilty of defending my "writer's ego" which I try to claim I don't have.

That being said, I would really love for someone to evaluate my argument, and tell me, in light of the reasoning behind my stylistic choices, if they work or not. In reviewing people's stuff, I have judged certain things, until they explained the logic behind the choices they have made, and then I was able to see the piece in new light. I am asking for that sort of dialogue here, that's all. One sided reviewing is very important, as eventually the reader cannot call me up as an author and ask me why I made the stylistic choices I made. BUT, if I explain to yall why I did the things I do, and you are able to guide me in such a way that I do those things more effectively, in such a way that an anonymous reader *does* get whatever the heck I am trying to do, then we have had an awesome and extremely useful critique session. So please, engage me, and hopefully I will be able to do the same for your works as well.

Beth
Member # 2192

no, thanks. Good luck with your writing!
HSO
Member # 2056

All right, Kaz... I'm going to fully critique these 13 lines... I won't hold back, and I will write my "instant reader reaction" to each sentence. Ready?

quote:
A cool wind flows through the forest, blowing shoulder-length brown hair.

Whose hair? Who is seeing this? Why is the wind only blowing someone's hair?

quote:
The two men are identical in all but their eyes: Blue and Green.

Yawn.

quote:
The smell of autumn is strong, dead leaves and dampness.

Fine. Who smells this? What happened to the two men?

quote:
They are garbed in black, the cloth sliding against lithe muscle like a second skin.

Who are they? Unreferenced pronoun. Previous sentence was about the smell of autumn. The one before that was about two men. We must be back to the men... my attention span is fairly good. *pats self on shoulder*

[quoteTheir hands hover by their swords, offering silent challenge.[/quote]

Hover "by" you say? As in detached and free-floating hovering by? Hmm... I wish my hands could do that. Oh, and silent challenge to what?

quote:
No words need be said.

They do for me. I have no freakin' clue what's happening. And if no words need be said, why bother telling me the tale?

quote:
A leaf falls, floats to the ground between them.

Yawn. I want to know what's going on with the two guys... and now I'm reading something about a stinkin' leaf. Grr. Hey! I thought the wind was blowing... it seems to me that the wind would carry that leaf around a bit... I doubt it would just "float."

quote:
A bird call slices through the silence. Green’s mouth twists into a subtle smirk.

Bird call slicing through the silence? Surely the wind is making some noise in the trees, right? I mean, there are dead leaves about too. Ever hear the rustle of leaves when the wind is blowing? Oh, yeah, and I don't care about a bird. I simply care about knowing what's up with one of these two guys. Except, at this point, I don't care anymore at all. I feel like I am being yanked around relentlessly in details that mean squat.

quote:
A sharp metallic ring accompanies Green’s sword sliding from its scabbard.

Probably would be an excellent sentence if I knew why Green was drawing his sword in the first place. Since I don't, I'm skipping to next sentence. Maybe something will happen there.

quote:
Once clear, its crystalline tone fills the air.

Wow! The sword gets two sentences in a row! I don't think Green or Blue got two consecutive sentences to describe either of them. This sword must be important. It's a shame I'm not a sword, for if I were, I might understand a sword's motivation for filling the air with its crystalline tone.

quote:
In this world, only one other sound matches its beauty.

What world? And what is that other sound. I don't think I'll find out. But that's all right. I'm not going to read this much longer anyway.

quote:
Flat of the blade on his forehead, he says: “Melody, be true to me this day.”

Seems like this sentence is missing something. Oh, I know, the author wants me to guess what words should be at the start of the sentence before "Flat", so let's see... hmm... Well, now that I've read it twice, I can confidently assume it should be "With the flat..." Yep. That's the only choice, I feel.

Right. Whatever your trying to acheive isn't working for me as a reader. The trouble is that I don't have anyone or anything to care about. Plus there are huge continuity issues... The wind blows, but I have no idea how strong it is and how long it lasts (is it a continuous wind? Only you know, because I sure don't).

The above fragment reads a lot of like a screenplay minus the proper formatting. If you are going to write a "movie" or "cinematic" tale, write a script, not a short story. That's my advice.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by HSO (edited April 23, 2005).]

Kazander42
Member # 2505

My question is, if the first 13 lines of a story told you everything you need to know, why would I make lines 14 to xx? A hook must set up some sort of conflict, and leave the reader wanting more. What I hoped to achieve in these lines was establish conflict: Two brothers, past the point of argument, about to slice and dice. If I knew why they were fighting right off the bat, what is the motivation for reading on?

What I have asked for several times is for a judgement of the whole story. If you think the hook isn't hooky, as you have made painfully clear, I should probably change it. But the hook has never been what I have been worried about particularly a this point, honing the hook is a matter of polishing, and I am not at the stage of revision where I want to polish. What I want to know is if the conflict between the characters is believable and defined enough without being overly so, if the dialogue sounds natural, if the recurring imagery of fallen leaves is effective, if the sound imagery is effective, if you like the section where I switch into past tense to achieve the effect of narrative distance from the characters and the effect of time elapsing, and the sorts of stuff that require a full reading of the story. Which I humbly ask for.

The mechanics and continuity of individual sentences are a waste of time to revise until the plot and general structure of the story are cemented, otherwise hard work put into polishing can be deleted as the structure and plot are messed around with. It's like polishing a piece of chrome for your car that you end up not putting on. First I need to know if and where I am using all the of chrome bits before I spruce them up.

But if nobody wants to read it, hey whatever.

Beth
Member # 2192

You've been given a lot of advice here; perhaps if you apply some of it, and stop arguing, people will be willing to read the rest. Part of the job of the first 13 is to convince me that you're a good enough writer to make the rest of the lines readable, and you haven't convinced me of that at all.

I won't read because:
a. It's present tense, and I already told you how intrusive I found your use of present tense, back on the first day;
b. You argue about every damn thing;
c. You dismiss all comments and show no sign whatsoever of benefiting from anything said here. So why bother?

Reading the rest and commenting on it would neither benefit you, nor amuse me.

Beth
Member # 2192

I mean, were you paying attention to the part where HSO commented on the falling leaves imagery, and the sound imagery, and whether the conflict between the characters was believable and defined enough? Have you paid attention to anything anyone's said here?

Kazander42
Member # 2505

quote:
Worse, I saw you say that you don't like the narrator explaining characters' feelings...you just want to see the action and let the reader get all that inofrmation. Well, there's a problem with that way of looking at things. It's called a movie, and it can do this better than you can. There is quite simply no need for a book in 2005 to simply describe actions. It's not a niche we can fill. We cannot possibly compete with the full visual effect of a movie.

I have to say, this is what set me off. I really can take any comments specifically about my work, but I take offense to broad judgmental statements about entire forms of literature. I think these kinds of judgments among artists are dangerous, in that in shutting off an entire realm of form, we cut of potential for interesting and unique art. You can rip up my work six ways to suday, whatever. Just don't tell me that writers can't write a certain way simply because another format does a better job most of the time, part of the fun of art is surprising people by doing something unexpected, like trumping film at its own game (and NO, I am not in any way claiming this lofty goal for myself).

And yeah, I'll admit that in a good bit of what I said, I was being a jerk. I can't take back what I said, so I'll be mature and admit to it and try not to ruffle any more feathers.

And last, as I have said before, I am not currently interested in the mechanics of the story, or at least I would like to hear judgement on those mechanics as they stand over the whole story. I view this story as one functional whole right now, and changing the form of the first 13 would necessitate a drastic rewrite. I do not want to rewrite the whole thing until the whole thing has been critiqued. Hence my dilemma. Now can we all put aside any grumpiness and get back to the good natured chatter from before?

Beth
Member # 2192

Yes, your first 13 indicates the necessity for a drastic rewrite. Good luck.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I will make one more stab before giving up, to answer the specific questions you asked:

(I'm deleting this "stab"; what made me think there was a point? Hope springs eternal.)

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited April 24, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Kazander,

First let me say, I will read the whole thing for you.

I didn't offer at first, because after reading the lines you have posted, I wasn't interested enough to read further. Others have enumerated the problems; I won't repeat them. But since you're pleading for someone to help you with the rest, and no one else is offering, I'll take a look.

Remember, though, that what I will be giving you are my REACTIONS as a reader. So if I don't understand something, and then you later explain it to me, that doesn't change the fact that as I read it I was confused. So it is better to spend your energy fixing the problem so that the next reader doesn't stumble over it, rather than trying to convince me that my reaction was wrong.

You may decide that things I flag as problems, you want to keep the way they are. That is your perogative as the writer. You have to decide if your reason for keeping it that way is worth alienating some readers.

Bottom line: don't argue with your critiquers. You can ask for clarification, or you can ask for reactions on changes (if I change x to y, does that help the POV problem, as an example). But telling people that their reactions were wrong just makes them mad, and accomplishes nothing.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kazander42
Member # 2505

MCameron: Thank you so much. The only thing I have really wanted was to iron out the plot and all that, as I have said before, I would like that to be all figured out before I address style. That being said, I am perfectly willing to accept any and all comments/trashings of my style, i'll store them for the future, its just been driving me crazy that I hadn't been able to get any input on characters and plot so far, because only 13 lines were up for review. So once again, thank you, even if you hate everything about the story, thank you.

As to wbriggs, all those questions that you couldn't answer in that last post: they were addressed to the full story, not the 13 lines. That's why you could not answer them.

HSO
Member # 2056

quote:
. I think these kinds of judgments among artists are dangerous, in that in shutting off an entire realm of form, we cut of potential for interesting and unique art.

You can be an artist if you want, or you can be a storyteller. You choose.

Telling stories is indeed an artform... it's not as easy as it seems to be, and it takes most people years and years to hone that craft. In the above fragment, you're not telling me a story. You are simply showing me stuff that is disjointed; it fails to grab my attention for all of the reasons noted above.

Tell a story first, worry about being "artistic" later, once you've mastered the mechanics of storytelling.

And yes, please stop arguing, debating, and defending your points. We know exactly how you feel, because we all feel like that from time to time when we receive criticism. Finally, a critique is an opinion. You don't have to like it, agree with it, or even read it if it bothers you. But if everyone (and it has been everyone) says there is a problem, then you should at least consider the possibility that there is a "flaw in the plan as is." And if you can't, you'll never grow as a writer, let alone an artist.

onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that the heat seems to be bleeding off this topic a bit, I'll read it if you like, Kazander, as per my promise on Open Discussions.

Joe

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kazander42
Member # 2505

Joe, I have recieved one critique of this already, and another is one the way. I am actually going to be doing an extensive rewrite now that I have had commentary on the whole story. You can read this one if you would like, or wait a couple of days for the new version (more plot, no present tense, hopefully better first 13) Thanks!

As to the grumpiness, it's the end of the semester . . . yeah. I'll try not to let it bleed into the boards anymore.

--"Gazing up into the darkness I saw myself as a creature driven and derided by vanity; and my eyes burned with anguish and anger."

[This message has been edited by Kazander42 (edited April 24, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

feel free to post the new first 13 in a new topic, to try to recruit more readers.
Kazander42
Member # 2505

I shall, but it may be a while, until this semester's craziness is over.
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I see no reason why I would volunteer to critique an entire story when the first thirteen lines didn't hook me.

Kaz, you haven't been around long enough to learn this, but you've stumbled into a very, very common problem that we have all seen many times. Young writers, especially in speculative fiction, seem to want to tell stories like movies. You might think you've got a great new idea, but we've seen stories and novels opened like teleplays and screenplays a million times. They take POV, verb tense, narrative style, and many other tools of fiction writing and use them to paint moving pictures.

Maybe someday someone will do this well. But for now it's probably the number one reason why speculative fiction stories are rejected.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
. . . and as far as the praise you're obviously hoping to get for your frag, I have two comments:

Personally, I like the quick style. If you can express the idea using "Flat of the blade . . ." I don't think you need to say "With the flas of the blade . . ."

And your single sentence of dialogue is the best part of the frag. It gives me the only key that might interest me in these two guys. One of them has named his sword and talks to it. It's like Sledge Hammer talking to his gun. Funny.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, errr. I'll give it a go.
Send me the rewritten one over when its ready.

I wont have time to read until the end of the week though. Bit tied up this week.
I dont think my review will be anywhere near as indepth as some of them have been on the first 13 already. I'll just comment on the biggies (good bits or bad bits).

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Doc has an important point there. I would be interested in "reading" this if it were the first page of a well drawn manga/webcomic (I might be interested if it were the first page of a "graphic novel", but it'd have to be even better drawn) rather than the first half page of a written text.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I do have to say that it effectively sets up an Omni POV.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
enwalker
Member # 2515

- posted      Profile for enwalker   Email enwalker         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read the whole thing if you e-mail it to me (is that how it's done around here? You don't post the whole thing somewhere else on the web site, do you? Ummm... so do I need to send you my e-mail address, or is there a way for you to get it through the profile on this site?).
I find the opening intriguing enough to be curious to find out what is going on.
The word "blowing" in the first sentence jarred on my ear - I wanted to re-word that sentence slightly.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.