Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Chrysalis - 1st 13, readers wanted.

Author Topic: Chrysalis - 1st 13, readers wanted.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
This is SF, 3700 words. I had a goal to submit it by the end of April. Want to help? Comments on this fragment are welcome, but I'd also like to have some folks read the whole thing.

---

Vanessa studied the scar on the back of her hand as she pretended to ignore the couple arguing beside her. Iliath and Geroth would probably never notice the slight blemish. They were Husiths, the sentient species on a planet a lifetime away from Earth. To her eyes, Husiths were ugly, lumpy creatures with skin like mealworms. Hundreds of supple fingers bristled from their underbellies, expressing their moods and providing traction as they inched through underground cities.

Geroth had asked her to turn off her cameras as soon as the argument started. It was no wonder; he and Iliath had repeated variations of the same discussion a dozen times over the last month. There was no need to include one more sample in the documentary of his life. Iliath wanted Geroth to undergo Chrysalis. Geroth wanted to stave it off until he finished his mathematical treatise.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly, ship it my way, please.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
jimmyjazz951
Member # 2443

- posted      Profile for jimmyjazz951   Email jimmyjazz951         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be happy to if you can hold out until Monday or Tuesday.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I can take a look.
Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
I would really REALLY love to read it. Your stuff is always an interesting read, and this idea sounds fascinating.

Unfortunately, I'm still swamped with college-y, graduation-y stuff. Can I read it anyway (pretty please)?

I will write you a critique, I promise. I just can't promise (or even predict) when it will show up....

If not, that's ok too. Let me know!

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
I've sent it off. Thanks!
limo
Member # 2470

- posted      Profile for limo           Edit/Delete Post 
If you need another reader I'd be happy to.
Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I am kind of swamped right now, but you can put me on the list for the next version if you want.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read it.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to give it a go, Mary.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, me too!

Comments on this opening, I think that it could be rearranged a bit. A rough re-cut might look like this.

quote:
Vanessa studied the scar on the back of her hand as she pretended to ignore the couple arguing beside her. Geroth had asked her to turn off her cameras as soon as the argument started. It was no wonder; he and Iliath had repeated variations of the same discussion a dozen times over the last month. There was no need to include one more sample in the documentary of his life. It didn't take much effort to seem more interested in her own hand.

Iliath and Geroth would probably never notice the slight blemish. They were Husiths, the sentient species on a planet a lifetime away from Earth. To her eyes, Husiths were ugly, lumpy creatures with skin like mealworms. Hundreds of supple fingers bristled from their underbellies, expressing their moods and providing traction as they inched through underground cities. She certainly wouldn't notice a blemish on either of them, and the reverse seemed probable. Besides, they had other things to talk about.

Iliath wanted Geroth to undergo Chrysalis. Geroth wanted to stave it off until he finished his mathematical treatise.

Italics are mine

This isn't necessarily the way you want the opening structured, the point is to make sure that the narrative has a progression that makes sense, one idea leading to the next.

Anyway, I hope you got the time dilation aspects under control and everything.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

I dealt with the time dilation issues by cutting them.

Thanks, all, for the offers. Let me digest the first round of responses and then I'll send it over.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited April 23, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Guh?!! They were a major parallel to the plot, weren't they?

Oh well

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Yeah...well, that was the plan. My crit group universally thought that it was an irrelevent thread, so I'm trying a draft without it. I've sent you both.
Survivor
Member # 213

I'll look forward to it.
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Yikes! You haven't gotten it yet? I suppose it's just as well, because GZ made some good points which I've incorportated. I just sent them again.
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, I've already read a version of this but I just thought I'd mention that this opening is a lot clearer.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
enwalker
Member # 2515

- posted      Profile for enwalker   Email enwalker         Edit/Delete Post 
I might have time tomorrow - send it to me.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Oh yeah, Christine? You think that opening is clearer? Well what about this one?

---

Vanessa cleaned the lens of her camera as she pretended to ignore Geroth and Iliath arguing beside her. As soon as the argument had started, Geroth asked Vanessa to turn off her cameras. There was no need to include one more sample in the documentary of his life.

Geroth and his betrothed brayed their points like sea-lions mating. Russ, her audio guy, was probably loving that. He never seemed to get tired of the cries of Husiths, the sentient species on a planet a lifetime away from Earth. Over the last month, he must have recorded dozens of variations of the same discussion.

Iliath wanted Geroth to undergo Chrysalis. Geroth wanted to stave it off until he finished his mathematical treatise.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited April 25, 2005).]

Three Minute Egg
Member # 2523

- posted      Profile for Three Minute Egg   Email Three Minute Egg         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read the entire thread, and I like the latest version. Three points:

There was no need to include one more sample (of their perpetual disagreement) in the documentary of his life.

Geroth and his betrothed brayed their points like sea-lions mating. <==== Great stuff!!

Over the last month, he (Vanessa? She?) must have recorded dozens of variations of the same discussion.

Geroth wanted to stave it off until he finished his mathematical treatise. - I might have chosen "forestall" instead of "stave it off", only because "forestall" has the word "stall" which he is trying to do, and "stave it off" sounds like he is trying to stop it forever (although he isn't)

Either way, this sounds interesting and is very readable thus far.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Um! That is a much better opening.
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
::nod::
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Thanks. ThreeMinuteEgg, I just changed the text a bit to deal with point three. Is it still an issue for you?

Point one is a good, but I'm too jet-lagged to fix it right now.

And point two? That's crazy talk, man.

limo
Member # 2470

- posted      Profile for limo           Edit/Delete Post 
I have read the entire story and put off giving an email reply while this thread wandered interesting paths. The fix of the start is great, it was the one thing that needed doing to make the story work. Excellent writing and tale. I hope I can write like that when I grow up.
li

Posts: 112 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
The second opening is far superior. Bravo.

The first sentence is still clumsy, though. The emotional part (ignoring an argument) is important, the mundane part (cleaning a lens) is not. Why do you lead with the mundane? It makes your narrator self-absorbed in subtle ways. Is this what you intended?

I'd be honored to read it when you have a suitable draft ready, MaryRobinette.

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
EverGlowingHaze
Member # 2525

- posted      Profile for EverGlowingHaze   Email EverGlowingHaze         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the beginning line talking about her cleaning her camera lens. It seems as though the narrator is trying to distract the reader from what is going on as well. I'm not sure if this is what you intended, but that's how I read it. It shows that the cleaning of the lens is not as mundane as what is happening in the background. I liked it.

If you still have people reading the whole thing I would gladly take a look at it for you.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't say I dislike the camera lens. Actually I do like it. I asked MaryRobinette why she put it first. Readers digest a story as a series of cause-and-effect moments, and if the lens cleaning is an effect caused by the argument then putting the argument first makes it easier on the mental digestion process.

Of course you should not make your scenes into pablum, either. So I'll reword my question:

Was the choice to put cause after effect conscious or unconscious?

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Is this a question you want me to answer here, or was it a question designed to make me think about the text? I thought it was a rhetoric, but since you've asked twice I'll answer.

It was a concious choice. Although I understand and agree with the idea of cause and effect, I also think that one can look at structure in terms of focus. So, the effect I wanted was to start with an outside focus by beginning with what she is apparently doing. In other words, from an outside point of view, Vanessa is simply cleaning her lens. But then we "zoom in" to the inside, to what she's thinking.

So that's why I did it that way. Did it work?

The part I'm unhappy with is the transition from sentence two to sentence three. It seems abrupt, but I have larger issues in the story itself, so I'll handle that bit of wordsmithery when I have motivations ironed out.

DragonfireEast
Member # 2498

- posted      Profile for DragonfireEast   Email DragonfireEast         Edit/Delete Post 

If you are willing I would like to read the rest of what you have written for this piece. One of the harder things to do in Sci-Fi is to make aliens seem alien and I like what you have done with them so far. Thank you.

Posts: 45 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I liked the fact that she was cleaning her lens because I know it's an unnecessary action that she's doing for the sake of appearing uninvolved. You practically say she pretended to clean her lens...that's how I read it anyway.

That tells us a lot about her character. It's a great establishing shot for your POV.

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Okay--Here's a new begining again.

---

Vanessa cleaned the lens of her camera as she pretended to ignore Geroth and Iliath arguing beside her. This abrupt halt of the day's work was becoming unbearably regular. Even if Geroth had not asked her to, Vanessa might have turned the camera off as soon as Iliath had said, "Beloved, would you look at the invitation list for your Hatching Day?"

Which left Vanessa to remove imaginary fingerprints from her lens while Geroth and his betrothed brayed their points like sea-lions mating. Hundreds of supple fingers bristled from their underbellies, expressing their moods as the argument went round in circles. Iliath reared on her tail, like a column of living marble, in response to Geroth's anger. Vanessa almost wished she had not taken the trouble to learn the language of the Husiths, the sentient species on Husa.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited May 04, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

Hmm?

I like this version, though the last line seems a bit slow, and the exposition isn't really necessary by that point.

But what are we looking at here?

MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Yep. I can remove that last bit.

What we're looking at is an attempt to deal with the repeated comments of "nice story, it's slow starting," which I think has to do with the amount of introspection/exposition at the beginning. So, I'm trying to tighten it and get to the first conflict point faster.

rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
Well . . . I like the beginning just before this one better. Especially given your reasons: this one seems to get to the point slower, to me. Both frags are 13 manuscript lines. In 13 lines of the previous version, we'd already found out why they were arguing, as well as gotten our introduction to Russ out of the way.
Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.