Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Wink - Flash revision

Author Topic: The Wink - Flash revision
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a little story that was a flash entry last week, about 3,561 words that I could use some input on. It is somewhere in the realm of scifi. The title is temporary, I haven't figured out what I want to call it yet. Let me know if you are interested in reading the whole thing.

Grey sat on the hard cot and stared at the solitary window. Small discolored glass, placed a bit crooked above the door, allowed light in but nothing could be seen of the other side. She had tried when they had first locked her in using a wobbly metal chair as a perch. She stood on the tips of her toes and came close to falling off. They were talking about her. People always did, discussing what they would do to her for her crime, whatever it might be this time. Ten feet past the customs area and they grabbed her, and whisked her away to be locked in this room without an explanation why.

A few hours before, Grey had disembarked from the ship with high hopes for this world. A new start where no one would know her, or have records of her past, no matter how spotty it was.

Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Isaiah13
Member # 2283

- posted      Profile for Isaiah13           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, you've added a fair bit to this. I'll give it a read, just let me know how soon you need it back.
Posts: 270 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not in a rush. If I can get it cleaned up a bit more I would like to toss it out for some rejections later this month.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Knee-jerk comments: I'd consider starting back when she was on the ship, moving forward, and showing the arrest and detention, etc. Will be more action oriented, and you don't have to slug the reader with a flashback right up front.

Also, Grey struck me as a man's name.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

Thanks Rahl22, I might do that. Come to think of it, I don't know why I didn't change it.
jimmyjazz951
Member # 2443

- posted      Profile for jimmyjazz951   Email jimmyjazz951         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in reading the whole thing.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
If you need another, I'm game.
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look at it if you need another reader. Would the end of this weekend be too late to get it back to you?
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know if you want second readers.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been super busy today, and I need to finish rewriting my own story by tomorrow, but I will try to get to yours very soon. Sorry about the wait
Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

No rush, whenever you have time.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.