Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Birthright - 1st 13, readers?

Author Topic: Birthright - 1st 13, readers?
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
SF, 850 words. I'm getting ready to send this out, so I'd like comments on the begining, but I'd also like a couple of readers.

Thanks!

---

Helen wanted time to pass more quickly, but she dreaded the appointment they were waiting for. Restless within in the confines of the waiting room, she looked out the window of the clinic. Her fingers spun her wedding ring around and around with mindless industry. She glanced at her husband.

Daniel read an out-dated magazine from the waiting room table with such a relaxed air that her tension seemed magnified. After a moment, he seemed to feel the weight of her gaze.

He looked up with his brow raised in concern. "Are you alright?"

"Of course." She smiled at him.

He closed the magazine with a quiet rustle. "We don't have to do this today."

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Darkstorm
Member # 1610

- posted      Profile for Lord Darkstorm   Email Lord Darkstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
This looks a bit familiar. I'll take a look.
Posts: 807 | Registered: Mar 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
TaShaJaRo
Member # 2354

- posted      Profile for TaShaJaRo   Email TaShaJaRo         Edit/Delete Post 
I recognize this one and would be happy to give it a second reading but if you want fresh eyes that's fine too.
Posts: 225 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
I've time, so if you need a reader , I'd be happy to volunteer...
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read this before, so I hesitate asking to crit this. You need fresh eyes. So far I only see one set. However, if you're willing to let me read it, send it on over.

[This message has been edited by Keeley (edited May 04, 2005).]

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a thought on the opening. You end the first sentence of the story with a preposition. I don't usually mind this, and I know some high profile writers that do it (OSC, for one argues that this is fine). But on the off chance that you get an old fashioned editor, you might want to adjust the wording to "appointment for which they were waiting" or some such. It being the first sentence of the story, it kind of jumps out at me, while I might not notice it later in the story.

I can read this if you want another set of used eyes (I remember this from the flash challenge; thought it was a strong story there). If not, that's fine.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd offer to read, but I'm going on vacation and won't have time.

quote:
Daniel read an out-dated magazine from the waiting room table with such a relaxed air that her tension seemed magnified.

The way the end of this sentence is phrased pulled me out of Hellen's POV. It felt distant, as if someone else was noticing the magnified tension, not her.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
Notes taken. Thanks!

---
Restless within in the confines of the waiting room, Helen looked out the window of the clinic. Her fingers spun her wedding ring around and around with mindless industry. She glanced at her husband.

Daniel read an outdated magazine with such a relaxed air that her tension felt magnified. After a moment, he seemed to feel the weight of her gaze. He looked up with his brow raised in concern. "Are you all right?"

"Of course." She smiled at him.

He closed the magazine with a quiet rustle. "We don't have to do this today."
---

I'm sending it off for those who requested it. As a side note, I'm not as picky about wanting fresh eyes as I probably should be. If I've tried to fix a problem that someone noted I often find it instructive to see if their complaint vanishes on the second read.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited May 04, 2005).]

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
outdated doesn't need a hyphen, I think. and I am afraid you typed "alright."
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

Ah!

Thanks Beth, I fixed them.

[This message has been edited by MaryRobinette (edited May 04, 2005).]

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try a look.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.