Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Hero’s Ascension

Author Topic: A Hero’s Ascension
matthew
Member # 2473

- posted      Profile for matthew   Email matthew         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a short story I just finished, for the most part it is compleate, but I am still tweeking it.

A Hero’s Ascension

Dac sat in his tribe’s camp chewing on a piece of dried meat and staring out at the peacefully falling snow. He had always liked watching the snow, it made everything seem peaceful. He knew that the bloodshed to come would change all that.
A man in his tribe’s colors, which Dac couldn’t recognize rode on horseback though the camp yelling: “break camp! We march in one hour!” Dac was already ready: He liked to spend the time mentally calming himself. He needed to be able to think. He mounted his horse and headed towards the edge of the camp.

Soon they were heading towards the battle field that they and the other tribe had decided on. Dac absentmindedly thumbed the pommel of his sword, as he always did on the final march into a battle. Even though he was terrified of the fight coming he refused to think about it. He had seen men drive themselves insane waiting a mere hour before something like this.

[This message has been edited by matthew (edited May 13, 2005).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
bladeofwords
Member # 2132

- posted      Profile for bladeofwords   Email bladeofwords         Edit/Delete Post 
are you looking for people to read the whole story or just give comments on your opening?

Jon

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Mechanical or minor things:

I perceive serious trouble with commas. See Strunk & White (online) to fix this.

You repeat peacefully-peaceul, and already-ready; sounds a little funny.

A man in his tribe's colors, which Dac couldn't recognize -- sounds like Dac can't recognize the colors.

Not much physical detail except that it's snowy. Flat terrain? Forest? It would make a difference, and a bit more physical detail would help.

More major: I suggest more concrete sensory detail, to make it seem more real.

I wonder how you came up with the name "Dac." I fear maybe you just came up with a nonsense syllable, and then you had a name. I suggest 2 processes to get it to sound more realistic (and to flesh out your world):
* make the language's phonology. You can rip off real languages for this. I did this once by adapting Japanese to have initial consonants before T, as in some African languages, and ended up with Haleamu, Pti, Mtale, Suvaa -- sounds coherent
* make the social background. He's probably not just Dac (just as OSC, e.g., isn't just "Scott"); he's Dac of River Morton, or Dac bar-Joseph, or something. He may even be Dac the One-Eyed. You may get thru all this and still he's just Dac -- but you'd still have made your world and your character rich by doing it.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you'll get a more useful critique from most people if your syntax is mostly correct and avoids spurious or entirely incorrect meanings. I'm all for reasonably good punctuation too, but it's not going to make a meaningful critique essentially impossible.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
matthew
Member # 2473

I am looking for a crit of the hole story.

It seems that my beginning has always been a bit rocky, I think I will re-write it.

Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
Overall, I like this. I felt a bit of confusion when you said "a man in his tribe's colors". I wasn't sure at first if you meant he was of Dac's tribe but Dac didn't know him, or if the man and the colors were from a different tribe.

I'll read the whole story if you like.

Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
matthew
Member # 2473

Thanks, sorry for long reply I had a few things pop up on me...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.