Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Delusions

Author Topic: Delusions
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
I need readers for this sci-fi flash story, about 950 words. Thanks.

-

Jen heard the door slide itself open, that distinct sound of air compressing and decompressing. She tried to drift back to sleep, but, within a few seconds, she felt the drug expand on her forehead. Immediately she became lucid and aware of the male nurse who towered over her, a smug grin on his face.

“Why must you torment me?” she whispered, trying to remove the acrid odor from her nostrils.

“What makes you think we’re tormenting you? We’re just trying to help,” the nurse explained. “It’s not every day we get someone like you in here, and, willing or not, you’re staying until you’re fixed.”

The nurse’s job being done, Jen watched him leave

Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I've already got problems, so I'll report them.

* I don't know what it sounds like when air compresses & decompresses. (I don't think it has a sound.)
* I don't know what it means for a drug to expand on someone's forehead. A capsule? A pill? Why would it be on her forehead, and why would it expand? If it's a metaphor, I don't know what it's a metaphor for.
* What acrid odor?
* Why does she think he's tormenting her?
* Does she know what's special about her, or what's to be "fixed"? If not, I want her to wonder. If so, I want to know, too.
* You've apparently got "the nurse's job being done" as a modifier of Jen or Jen's watching. It seems strange to me. "The nurse left" would work as well, I think.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that meant the pnuematics that drive the door mechanism. But I can't really argue against any of the other criticisms.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to see what direction you have gone with this. If you need someone to look at the whole thing, let me know.
Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
cklabyrinth
Member # 2454

- posted      Profile for cklabyrinth           Edit/Delete Post 
Emailing it to you, Robyn. Thanks for the comments, wbriggs and Survivor. What looks good to me can easily be torn apart by others. :>
Posts: 179 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind giving it a look over.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.