Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sci-Fi Short

Author Topic: Sci-Fi Short
ParanoidRook
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Please bare with me, I'm going to make this up right now. I'd just like some input on what mistakes I make right off the bat.

Skeetor and The Flying Cyborg Monkeys

The golden sun took one of its last peeks through the tall trees, blinding Skeetor momentarily as he made his way along the rugged trail. He chuckled to himself, remembering the words of the town drunk.

"Beware the flying cyborg monkeys, for they dwell within the woods!" the drunk intoned, between long gulps of his sour wine.

Skeetor didn't believe in stupid fairy tales. He wasn't no gullible fool. Besides, he was quick as a cat with wits to match.

He brushed aside a few strands of his long red hair, cursing softly for not getting it cut earlier.

Twilight was beginning to fall upon the woods, and Skeetor quickened his pace. He wasn't afraid, he just couldn't see very well in the dark.

Bizzzzzit.

Skeetor's ears perked up, "What was that?" he said aloud, to no one in particular.

Bizzzzzit.

Again the strange sound of scraping metal. Skeetor couldn't lie to himself any longer, he was frightened like a child alone in the dark.

[This message has been edited by ParanoidRook (edited June 04, 2005).]

| Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Please observe the rules of this forum.

And yes, I'm talking about your request that we "bare" with you. This is a highly inappropriate request, as this is generally supposed to be a family friendly forum.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidRook
unregistered

I guess talking about my man-boobs is out of the question :(
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Card has his own view -- or, rather, lack of view -- on the subject (scroll down a few posts): http://www.hatrack.com/ubb/main/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003233

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited June 04, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

There's another rule to the forum: post the 1st 13 lines, not the whole thing. (That one's serious.)
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
PR--this forum doesn't have any provisions for this type of post which, as WBriggs pointed out, violate the rules. Why not try the flash challenge?
Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
ParanoidRook
unregistered

I got carried away, didn't think I passed 13 lines so quickly.

Thanks Void, seems fun :)

wbriggs
Member # 2267

You can edit your post, to reduce it to 13 lines.
Frederic Civish
Member # 1471

- posted      Profile for Frederic Civish   Email Frederic Civish         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this beginning was okay. It all depends on where you are going from here. Obviously, this is a farcical story and the style is part of the story. I do suggest a few minor changes in grammar, because these things stuck out, to me:

Instead of, "The golden sun took one of its last peeks through the tall trees" I would say, "The golden sun took a last peek through the tall trees"

Instead of, "blinding Skeetor momentarily as he made his way along the rugged trail." I would suggest, "it blinded Skeetor momentarily"

"He wasn't no gullible fool" might be something said in the vernacular of Skeeter, but it struck me a bit odd, because I wasn't expecting it. I still think you might consider, "He wasn't a gullible fool"

Last, "He brushed aside a few strands of his long red hair, cursing softly for not getting it cut earlier." I wondered why he was cursing softly at such a seemingly small thing. It seems a bit of an exaggeration. Later, when he is being terrorized he might curse about it, but for now, it just appears to be a nuisance, and he might 'regret' not getting it cut earlier. Unless he knows more about the danger of the Cyborg Monkeys than he is letting on.

I hope this is of some benefit to you.

-=- Fred

[This message has been edited by Frederic Civish (edited June 06, 2005).]

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Meenie
Member # 2633

- posted      Profile for Meenie   Email Meenie         Edit/Delete Post 
Skeetor and The Flying Cyborg Monkeys

The golden sun took one of its last peeks through the tall trees,

I like this imagery, the sun peeking through the trees. I would reword it slightly to something like "The golden sun took one last peek through the tall trees,..."
I like the personification !

I'm not sure of this but wouldn't the words of the town drunk be in the same paragraph?
"....remembering the words of the town drunk: " Beware the flying cyborg monkeys, for they dwell within the woods!"

I think that using a colloquillism [oo did I spell that right?!]("He wasn't no gullible fool.") would come across better in Skeetor's words. Something like "I ain't no gullible fool, and I don't believe in no stupid fairy story, neither." Skeetor punched the air with a twirl. "And I'm quick as a cat and smarter'n any cyborg monkey, yeah.."

Twilight was beginning to fall upon the woods, and Skeetor quickened his pace. He wasn't afraid, he just couldn't see very well in the dark. ((I like this paragraph, it really helps show Skeetor's personality)

I have to admit, I read this before you edited it. Skeetor is a pretty neat character, don't kill him off so fast!

Meenie

Posts: 109 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.