Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Xoco's Fire -- Fantasy, ~7500 words. Crit request.

Author Topic: Xoco's Fire -- Fantasy, ~7500 words. Crit request.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, all. Been a while since I've subjected myself to your metaphorical lashes. I've just finished polishing a fantasy short story entitled, "Xoco's Fire." I'd be interested in comments over the first bit, and I'd love a full critique if any of you have the stamina and/or interest.

--

Even though the smoke rose in sprightly wisps above the beach, Xoco knew the gods had no hand in it. It was the breeze that rolled off the surf that coaxed the billowing cloud to dance. She threw another whitefish onto the flames and watched its silver scales bubble and boil, gills puffing gouts into the moonlight.

Xoco prayed again for an answer and cast her desires into the rising plume. Kimpana village is functioning again, if in a limited way. The gardens are producing. The fish are coming, slowly, of their own accord. Need the Shaman still extract from me his price? Need he hurt me, pin me against the floor of his hut and subject me to his savagery, to relish in the pain he inflicts?

I will do anything, she thought. Anything, if you let me kill him. Let me feel his blood on my hands. Let it course down my body, soothe the burns and cuts that scar my thighs and spirit.

When there appeared no response, she sat back, worried, on her hindquarters. Her hand unconsciously rubbed the rigid bulge of her abdomen, comforting the twin gods that roosted within.

--

Thanks!

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
MCameron
Member # 2391

- posted      Profile for MCameron   Email MCameron         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, send it my way. I'll probably need a few days to work through it, though.

As for the first 13, it mostly flows quite nicely and I'm certainly hooked. There were a few points that threw me:

When you switch to present tense, it took me a couple of reads to realize that it was supposed to be the prayer. If you added some sort of ritualistic wording to it, that would help the reader understand what is going on. For example: "Kimpana village is functioning again, Oh [insert name of god here]."

The other thing is the word "hindquarters". I'm sorry, that word immediately made me think that Xoco was an animal, which I don't think you were going for. I would describe the posture as "sitting on her heels".

But these are minor. The rest of the fragment is easy to read and comprehend, and quite compelling so far.

--Mel

Posts: 269 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd try eliminating paragraph 1. It's not hook-y, but the subsequent ones about revenge are.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same two nits as MCameron had with the first 13. Otherwise, engaging.

I'd be willing to read the rest.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I liked it, although two things stuck out to me. One was where you were saying something like "the foam that rolled off the waves that..." or something like that. Sorry, can't remember exactly. Try to eliminate the two "that"s that come right after one another. I don't think it flows as well.

Also, I guess if I read the rest it would make more sense, however from the first 13 lines it sounds like the shaman is going to rape her or something. Then only later do I find out that she's already pregnant. It's kind of confusing. Obviously it'll clear up after reading more, but it was sort of confusing at a first glance.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
My only real problem is that I was surprised to learn that the scene was happening by moonlight.

There are little wordsmithing points, "It was the [adjective] breeze rolling off the surf that coaxed...", "to revel/delight/take pleasure in the pain..." or "she sat on her heels, worried." I wouldn't let things like that keep me from reading, I can mentally adjust them on the fly.

I have to register m's complaint too. The "rigid bulge of her abdomen" implies that she's very pregnant, enough so that being subjected to rape could have some pretty bad consequences. Of course, that might be part of why she's worried that she's not getting the obvious answer, so I'm willing to let it ride till I know more.

Anyway, I'll read if you like.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the issues raised. Still, what you have written so far has an emotional factor that makes me want to continue reading.

I'd be happy to critique it for you. Send to fsilv01s@uis.edu

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Really appreciate it, all. I've sent out to those that opened themselves to my assault.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.