Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Stone Musings #4 - Creative Non-fiction approx. 1065 words

Author Topic: Stone Musings #4 - Creative Non-fiction approx. 1065 words
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the first few lines. This is not fiction. Readers are welcome.

Stone Musings #4

The sun is not as strong as the wind is today, on the Island. It is early in the summer, the best time of year to play in shallow water and mock the gulfen waves.

Far down the beach, my wife waves to me. Nineteen years ago we would be walking together, hand in hand, to search for Christmas ornaments along the water’s edge. Now I stay to watch my sons as she walks on, without me but still adding to our collection.

After a while I turn and look to the boys. Where I stand, facing into the wind, I am on loose dry sand. Number one son is waist-deep in water in the trough between sand bars, where the big fish feed. I wait and soon enough a mullet jumps, startling him. The intensity of the change is scary, to anyone who doesn’t know my older son. A moment ago he was happy and now he is truly terrified and he races to me, to his rock and his safety. In a moment I hold him in my arms and he lays his head against my shoulder. He is so tall now.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I hit the word "gulfen" and stopped dead in my tracks. The term "gulfen waves" is completely unfamiliar to me. Perhaps this is a regional expression? If so, you might consider substituting something more generally in use. You could get away with that term in dialog, but it felt strange and unexplained in narrative form.

quote:
Far down the beach, my wife waves to me. Nineteen years ago we would be walking together, hand in hand, to search for Christmas ornaments along the water’s edge.

This expression also strikes me as odd. This is apparently refering to a family tradition about using, I presume, driftwood, on the Christmas tree. But without a wee bit of back-up explanation to go along with it, those of us who have never hung driftwood on Christmas trees have images in our minds of looking for those glass balls sold in the twelve-pack in the store. Or how about that Christmas Pickle? Christmas ornaments will be specific, and to some degree unique, to each family. A brief explanation of WHAT you are looking for on the beach would help anchor the right visual image in our minds for those of us who don't use beach debris .

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
autumnmuse
Member # 2136

- posted      Profile for autumnmuse   Email autumnmuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit "gulfen" stopped me too. I think you mean 'of the gulf' or something like that. Perhaps 'gulfing' would work, but I did a search and could not find 'gulfen' in any dictionary. Maybe that's just me though. But hey, I like making up words. Gulfen is a good one, in my book!

Beach ornaments could also be made from shells or perhaps sea glass, or anything interesting found on the shore. I can picture that. Cool tradition. Reminds me of a passage of Shakespeare from "Midsummer Night's Dream" where Titania is referring to the mother of the changeling child she and Oberon are fighting over:

"When we would laugh to see the sails conceive and grow big-bellied in the wanton wind; which she, with pretty and with swimming gait, would imitate, and sail upon the land, to fetch me trifles and return again, as from a voyage, rich with merchandise."

Posts: 818 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kickle
Member # 1934

- posted      Profile for Kickle   Email Kickle         Edit/Delete Post 
If your looking for readers, I'd be interested. I've never seen the word gulfen but, in the context, it didn't take me out of the story.
Posts: 397 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Meenie
Member # 2633

- posted      Profile for Meenie   Email Meenie         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
The word "gulfen" stopped me also. I've never heard it either and have no idea what it means.
Collecting for christmas along the shore doesn't seem strange to me at all, though I live on the Chesapeake Bay and my husband and I often make ornaments from shells to give as gifts at christmas. And of course you have to find the perfect ones to use
I wondered how old your son is, though, to be so frightened by a fish jumping. Most children think its really funny and neat.
Meenie

Posts: 109 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the comments.

Gulfen is a regional term. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sand dollars make great Christmas Tree ornaments.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I didn't even notice the "gulfen", but now that it's been called to my attention, I have to say I don't like it so much. It scans right, but it sounds ill.

The search for Christmas ornaments was clear to me on the first read, but Elan's comment does give me pause.

I suppose that Meenie's comment about your son's reaction says something to me as well. You actually don't describe this very well. He's wading in waist deep water, is startled by a fish, and "races" back to his father. There are some bits left out, eh?

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe splashes back would be a bit more accurate? Racing after he reaches the beach, hmm?

"Gulfen" gave me pause, too, but I assimilated the new word/image fairly quickly. It didn't completely throw me out of the story.

The placement of the comma in this sentence did, though:

quote:
Now I stay to watch my sons as she walks on, without me but still adding to our collection.

I would think it would be more properly placed here, perhaps:

quote:
Now I stay to watch my sons as she walks on without me, but still adding to our collection.

I dearly loved this part:

quote:
...he races to me, to his rock and his safety.

What a wonderful image! I do hope this sets the tone for the rest of the piece.

If you need a reader, I would be happy to oblige.

Susan

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thank you.
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I took "gulfen" to be a pit of a prosaic word, i.e. not sure what it meant but it sounded nice. I had no problem with the rest. The part with the son seems a piece of another story. As Survivor said, there are pieces missing, pieces the POV character knows but we don't. Whether we need to depends on the significance of the info. I know this is a serial piece, so I was wondering if it is mentioned there.

I'll read if you need a reader. I remember reading at least 2 of the others. So, I hate to miss out on this one.

Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...play in shallow water and mock the gulfen waves.
Far down the beach, my wife waves to me...

The two 'waves' so close don't scan right to me.
Likewise I collect christmas decorations on the beach, as christmas is a summer thing here.

quote:

The intensity of the change is scary, to anyone who doesn’t know my older son.

This passage above seems to indicate we are going to get an explanation so I have no problems with the way number one son reacts.

I like the Stone Musings, may I read this one?

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 09, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thank you. On the way.
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want the term "Gulfen" to describe more than the locale where the waves occur, it may help to use a different adjective or an additional adjective to the description. Readers that are not familiar with gulfs or their waves may otherwise fail to develop a meaningful image of what you are trying to portray.

I'd be happy to read it (please send as .rtf file).

[This message has been edited by Lanius (edited June 11, 2005).]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

- posted      Profile for M_LaVerne   Email M_LaVerne         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't read the whole thread. Don't want to taint my thinking. Anyway, being a Tampa resident, the gulf's waves have always seemed too pitiful to me to mock...I'm assuming you meant the the gulf of mexico by "gulfen"?

Why begin with the negative? Why not: The wind is stronger than the sun today. Early summer on the island is the best time...

Check your commas. I'm no grammarian but your commas are bugging me.

I want names. Number one son, Timmy is waist deep...

What intrigues me is the father son relationship. Being a rock and safety neat.

There is a moodiness about this beginning that suggests tragedy...

Posts: 38 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

Thanks for the comments.

The answers are in the text. If you read #s 1,2 and 3 at www.riverwalkjournal.org, you'll see that my lack of use of names this time is consistent with what went before. In a way it isn't fair to you to post 13 lines or so here, when what you are seeing is just part of a much longer work in progress. All that I can suggest is that 1) this is nonfiction, and thus plays by different rules, and 2) read what went before.

Commas are my weakness, it comes from English not being my first language, I believe.

Thank you!

M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

Cool. I'll check your link.
M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

For some reason, you link didn't work...Oh, by the way...English is my first language and I can't always get commas right either.
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

http://www.riverwalkjournal.org/

I wonder why the other link didn't work? Strange.

Wait. Okay, I understand. There's a period included in the link. My fault. Sorry.

[This message has been edited by mikemunsil (edited June 11, 2005).]

M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

Actually, I'm very interested in nonfiction. My dissertation is being written as a narrative about male friendship. And I'm intrigued by your posts on the subject. hopefully, some of the other links will work for me.

I'd like to know more about your story.

M_LaVerne
Member # 2606

It's working now. cool.
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have enough readers already, I'd be pleased to take a look, Mike.

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited June 12, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.