Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Sybillant

Author Topic: The Sybillant
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All,

Here's the first thirteen (more or less...mostly more) from a SF/Fantasy short story, approx. 4100 words. It's still quite raw, but I'm looking for crits on the opening and readers/critters for the whole piece.

The Sybillant

Gillian couldn't have prophesied better if he'd made it up.

_The hawk will defeat the serpent, before the garden is sundered._

"How about that for the Governor's inaugural prophecy?" Gillian asked. "Nostradamus couldn't have done it better, eh Marta?"

Marta didn't say a thing. The knife in her throat would've prevented it, even if she'd still been breathing.

"I still need to go deeper, though" Gillian continued, as if he'd missed the significance of all the blood, "the Governor will be here soon. Oh but, your appearance, Marta..." The laughter bubbled up just then, wet and terrible, along with a cloud of what had been a well-behaved sorrow. It might've devoured him completely, but a memory of Marta intervened:

"The Sibyllants are just placebos, Gillian, not prophets," she'd said. "You don't understand what you're tampering with!"

"Yes, that's true," Gillian said, then and now. "But I do intend to find out."

[This message has been edited by onepktjoe (edited June 08, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by onepktjoe (edited June 08, 2005).]

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm already repulsed by the POV character. I know I'm supposed to be, but . . . you have to make him appealing in some way, or I won't want to spend (reading) time in his company.
Or else have some other way to hook me in.

It's too gruesome for humor, but too lighthearted in tone for horror. I am a little curious as to what he's talking about -- I'd hope to find out in the next few lines -- and about why she was murdered.

[This message has been edited by wbriggs (edited June 08, 2005).]

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I am interested by this. Drawn in by a world where governors prophesy.

But I am trusting you that the main character will be worthy soon.

Are you aware that Sibyllant is very similar to sibilant which means 'to hiss' and often refers to 's' 'th' 'sh' and those sort of sounds? I know you are harking back to Sibyl the ancient greek prophetesses. But are you aware that Sibyllant is an Everquest character type? It also has weird tension with Sibyl Trelawney in Harry Potter. Curse you J.K.R.!

Send it on over if you want.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited June 08, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the beginning. The voice worked, and the dark humor of the character. You lost me at "The laughter bubbled up . . " I wasn't sure what was going on after that.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver3
Member # 2174

- posted      Profile for Silver3   Email Silver3         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was interesting. I reserve judgment on the main character until I read more of the piece.
Send it to me if you're ready for a critique.

Posts: 1075 | Registered: Sep 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all of you for the comments.

I knew I was going to be on thin ice with this POV character. I'm just trying to keep the writing tight enough and interesting enough to compensate.

As for the similarities of the title to the sound, the oracle (and, by round-about way, to the serpent in the garden of Eden), yes--those were intentional. As for the Everquest character--I had no idea. Any info on that would be appreciated. As for the HP character--that's just damned unfortunate. Ah well. Ditto on the curses.

As for ...the laughter bubbled up... I was going for an odd wacko moment. I don't think that was particularly well-executed either, but like I said, this one's still a bit raw.

Anyway, thanks again for the comments. Silver3 and Hoptoad--it's on the way.

Joe

Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a trifle schitzoid, but interesting. For all of that, I think that you need to make Gillian's thoughts a little darker and more self-justified. That will help avoid making it seem too "light", he didn't kill just for the fun of it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Shendülféa
Member # 2408

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually find the main character interesting. He seems very nutty, but I like it so far. Other than the fact that he seems to have just killed someone for the heck of it, I don't see why he's such a bad character. He's quite original if you ask me.

Then again, maybe I'm the only one not bothered that he's not bothered by killing. I read horror often, so perhaps that's why.

Posts: 202 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just saying, even I don't kill people for no reason.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
GZ
Member # 1374

- posted      Profile for GZ   Email GZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having a bit of trouble following the thought logic of the POV character, and given what I've seen of him, I'm not real keen on getting any closer. Too dark for my tastes as a reader, I'm afraid.

The writing does have a vivid quality. Nicely done, but it makes the story aspects all the more chilling.

Posts: 652 | Registered: Feb 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Eddy Gemmell
Member # 2581

- posted      Profile for Eddy Gemmell   Email Eddy Gemmell         Edit/Delete Post 
Too many quesitons for me. I a little lost to put it politely.

By all means raise questions the reader will want answered but to open a story with so many I think is unwise.

For instance I'm not clear on what exactly has been done, by whom, to whom (not just their names), motivation/purpose etc.

As it stands I'm confused. If you explain everything in the first couple of pages then you may be ok but I'd rather be lead through with the info' and not left to wonder from the first paragraph.

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.