Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Tourist Season

Author Topic: Tourist Season
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Sci-fi, ~1400 words, looking for readers. Some profanity, but nothing to get in a twist over.

Tourist Season (working title)

So I guess the first of the Tourists must’ve started poking their heads in around May that year, but it’s like they weren’t all that noticeable ‘til there got to be more of 'em. I mean, shortish and widish don’t really get you noticed in Indy, especially not during race season. And to be perfectly honest, there’s always much weirder-looking folks running around that ain’t even foreign. Hell, I even had a couple in my bar when we got our first Tourist.

I wouldn’t even have noticed them at all if Jess, my weekend help, hadn’t sidled over to me, pretending to look for a bottle of Jack.

“Those folks’re oddities,” she said out of the corner of her mouth, found her bottle, and went back to her side of the bar.

She was right, but I didn’t end up making too much of it at that time. I snuck glances at them the whole time they was there, though. They was kinda stocky, with weird eyes and tiny mouths. One of ‘em was trying to look at everything at once, and the other was following Jess around with his eyes as she worked. I guess that was what stuck those folks in my mind; I was trying to remember their faces to describe to the cops in case they bugged Jess when her shift ended in a half hour.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited June 17, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good to me. Nice consistency of voice, and though it starts quiet, the capitalisation of Tourist just hints that these particular visitors are from... shall we say, waaaay outta town?

A couple of things; I think "but it's like they weren't all that noticeable..." would read better if the negative was upfront; "but it ain't like they were all that noticeable..."; and Jess's use of "oddities" does itself seem odd - "those folks're kinda weird" or "strange" might sound more in keeping, though Im clearly making assumptions about Jess' vocabulary and speech style based on almost not informatoin whatsoever - just the milieu of the bar she's working in.

Hope that helps. I'll happily critique the full thing.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Odd balls would work over oddities. Send it to me if you can wait a couple weeks for the response. (OSC boot camp)

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited June 17, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's a good beginning. I'll read the rest, if you like, although it will probably take me a week to get back to you.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting start. I agree that "oddities" just didn't sound right. Also, "sidled" didn't really sound like a word someone who says "they was" would use.

I'll read - fsilv01s@uis.edu

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
No need to change "until" to " 'til ". "Till" is a perfectly good word (in fact it's older than "until").

I'll look at it.

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Hey, all! The stories are away. Thanks for your help!

Spaceman, it looks like you have plenty on your plate already. With your permission, I'll give you a miss for now. Maybe I'll catch you next time!

Anyone else want to help me out? Let me know; I can use all the feedback I can get.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time! Hope you're having a great day!

Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
No problem--catch you on the flip side.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

You bet
Gingivere
Member # 1936

- posted      Profile for Gingivere   Email Gingivere         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm new at critiquing, but I'd like to read, if you don't mind.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like fun. I'll have a go at it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

Second round away!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.