Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 13 Lines, and a couple of questions

Author Topic: 13 Lines, and a couple of questions
abby
Member # 2681

- posted      Profile for abby   Email abby         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read several things on the point of view topic. However, it all seems to run together to me. I cannot tell the difference between the 3rd person styles at all. (One reason I don’t read mysteries, I always seem to miss some tiny element everyone is expected to know intuitively). Any suggestions?

Also, I have the first 13 lines of my current novel (two others long ago started are sitting in dust). I would like a little critique on these please, and when I get a few more chapters done (am stuck on chapter 9), I would appreciate if someone would like to read a little more and help me decide if a few sections read well or not.
Thank you,
Abby

Cammy woke up and dazed in the dark, and stumbled to the bathroom. As she splashed cold water on her face from the sink and looked in the mirror, she thought, it must all have been a dream. No, more like a nightmare. She decided she looked really too tired, and would get a glass of juice and go back to bed, since it was Saturday, she could go back to sleep. She crept to the kitchen, and turned the light on. Then, it hit her hard. It wasn’t a dream or a nightmare. It had been real. There were the five coffee cups on the table and a stack of papers to prove it. She sank to the floor in fear, terror, and shame.

Why should she feel fear, terror, and shame? Her past, which had always haunted her, had caught up with her last night. Now, it would be that very past that would give her a future, dim, as it seemed at the moment. She would finally be free of her past, as she used it to open the new door to freedom, for herself, and thousands like her.

Every since she could remember, she had felt ashamed of her past. What these men taught her last night was to not feel ashamed. It still affected her at the moment though.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Third person "styles" is rather vague. OSC as a bood called Characters and Viewpoint that will probably help you sort out those kind of problems.

If you mean how far inside the character's head we reach, you are talking about what is called penetration. What you wrote is light to medium penetration. To get deep inside her head, you need to give us her exct thoughts, without tags. There is no need for tags because there is only one character.

It is difficult to judge the first 13 lines of a novel because the reader will allow more time to get pulled in (several pages).

For me, the scene hasn't developed sufficiently to understand what is happening. In a short story, this would be a hangin' offense, but in a novel, I'd go along for at least another 26 lines before I started to get annoyed.

I don't think there were any serious problems with the writing as writing.

(Edited for typos)

[This message has been edited by Spaceman (edited June 28, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to see Spaceman commenting that 13 lines is not necessarily enough to show a real "hook" in a novel, I'd been getting worried that I was going to have to rewrite everything of mine!

Abby, a few comments. "Cammy woke up and dazed..." surely should read "Cammy woke up, dazed...". The first couple of lines aren't promising - the moment anyone says "it must all have been a dream", there can be an enormous temptation to the reader to say "well, nothing to worry about then" and kind of switch off.

What's interesting is how hard five coffee cups and a stack of papers hit her. Why is she so affected by their presence? What is it in her past that these "men" have somehow helped her to start moving on from? There's definitely a sense of interest kindled here. I'm not sure, though, that the last couple of lines work together. Perhaps you should try "What these men had started to teach her last night..." or "tried to teach her last night...".

As for 3rd person styles, I'm not entirely sure about the precise terminology myself, but the basic differences are to do with how many characters you follow around, whether you can "see" into people's thoughts, etc. Basically, all you need to do is to try and be consistent, and to make it fairly clear when you switch from one to another (about the only book in the past ten years that I have thrown away in disgust was one where the two lead characters met right at the beginning, and the POV jumped from her to him and back forth about seven times in two or three paragraphs; it was just excruciatingly bad; oddly, it was by a much-published and apparently respected author, but I'd never pick up one of that author's books again).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if I knew what was happening, I might well be hooked already.

I don't like not knowing. The POV character knows. Why can't I? Tell us! It won't spoil the mystery -- it will draw us into her plight.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I will make my standard comment, in that it seems 90% of posts in the F&F start out with a character waking up and looking in the mirror. It's a tired beginning and one that "unhooks" me right from the get-go. It would be great if you can find a fresh way to introduce the character.

I'm also not hooking in because half the intro is devoted to mundane things like coffee, and it is weakening the tension you are trying to build with her terror. Don't feel like you need to spin a completely mundane environment to create a contrast for the emotional upheaval. When we are feeling fear we rarely notice the mundane things around us, and neither would our characters.

Good start, other than that! Just my two cents worth.

(And if it makes you feel any better, I'm having a hard time sifting through third person omnipresent, second person twice removed, and first person singular emperical omni-blah-blah-blah myself.)

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited June 28, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
abby
Member # 2681

I just realized I forgot to mention my title and genre. This is an adventure/survival story for women. The title is: The Begining of the New Underground Railroad - A Woman's Rescue Efforts (Okay the last part is pending).

Spaceman, I think you may be right. It is difficult to get a real sense of a story in just 13 lines.

tchernabyelo, thank you for catching that extra word. I had missed it.

wbriggs, I go into a lot more detail as paragraph 3 goes on. I do guess the whole first chapter is mostly her feelings. It is only 1 1/4 pages. The second chapter recounts the night of reliving, and discussing the horrors she lived through. I would like someone to objectively view that chapter at some point and see if they can tell what is going on. I may be too close to the characters to determine if the chapter is clear.
Who knows, I may switch the chapters back. Origianlly, many months ago, what is now chapter 2, was chapter 1, but it didn't seem right.

Thanks for the responses.
Abby

abby
Member # 2681

Elan, maybe the first 13 lines of the second chapter is better? What would I do witht he first chapter then, though. Oh well, here is the second 13:

The knock came at Cammy’s door late one stormy night, just as she had turned out the lights to go to bed. Her husband, Joe, opened the door, to see uniformed representatives of each of the armed forces at their door. Both were startled, and a bit afraid. The first, looked a bit familiar to Cammy. They asked to come in, and as they walked into the light, she thought she recognized each of them. They all gathered around her kitchen table and began to draw out briefcases full of papers.

Cammy was still afraid, she did not have a pretty past, in fact, had few memories of her past, other than fear. Her husband understood this, and did not worry too much, just was concerned she might be overwhelmed. Joe started a pot of tea, because he could see it would be a long night.

At first, they spoke around the table as a group. One person would begin a sentence, with another completing the thought. “We are here for a complex purpose. In the end it will be for good. It will be very painful for a bit. This is in regards to a court case that you are a star witness in.

[This message has been edited by abby (edited June 28, 2005).]

Eddy Gemmell
Member # 2581

- posted      Profile for Eddy Gemmell   Email Eddy Gemmell         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't nit-pick at the way you have written it but I personally switch off and get bloody annoyed when a passage opens with some big mystery and wont tell you what it is!

For instance -

"Why should she feel fear, terror, and shame?"

Good question...I have no idea.

This passage may mean something at the end of a book (in terms of how she feels etc and why) but for me...not at the start.

[This message has been edited by Eddy Gemmell (edited June 28, 2005).]

Posts: 25 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
abby
Member # 2681

I hear a few of you saying to say everything the character knows, but wouldn't that cut the story to just a few words, rather than a story? In this case, the character suffered abuse, built a rescue group, then found herself suddenly able to do things she thought long gone. No story, no interest.

I wouldn't want the reader to realize what is happeneing before the character does. As in most such cases, she really doesn't know, she has repressed all memories, and the wakeing up the day after being forced to confront the truth of her past is important, as it explains who the character is, and why she feels the way she does, why she has the health issues, as well as the growth she experiences throughout the book.

What kind of opening do you consider one that lets you know what the character knows instantaneously? How do you use it to keep an interest in the story, rather than just a list of facts that don't create a stroy?

[This message has been edited by abby (edited June 28, 2005).]

Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
You have a strong storyline, but don't feel like you have to push it all out there in your first 13 lines. We don't need to know everything the character knows in the first 13 lines.

Your first 13 lines should hook us in and make us want to read more. The function of your opening isn't to explain the entire story, it is to intrigue us and stimulate our desire to learn more. As long as you accomplish that, you've done what needs doing.

[This message has been edited by Elan (edited June 28, 2005).]

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I found the "second 13" lines far more engaging than the first 13 posted at top. However, if we put the two together in sequence, then we have a flashback at the start of story -- which is always a danger signal that an author is starting the story in the wrong place.

Anyway, Abby, I see you've got plenty of comments above. Here's the thing about that. You can't explain yourself to an editor or a reader. Even though you have some legit questions up there, it comes off as a bit argumentative/defensive.

Fragments and Feedback works best for all involved if you post up 13 lines, and then let people mercilessly tear it apart, which they will do, but usually with some mercy. Then, you take all of that opinion and let it mulch for awhile. (You can always ask for clarity on any opinion given, if you don't understand a comment that is made.)

This doesn't mean we want to stifle you or discussion on your fragment, it simply means to wait a bit and see several opinions / comments come in first. Trust me. It works... you have to let it go for a short while.

Right. I think what some of the comments are saying about the first 13 is that you're leaving out what happened the night before. You could just as easily say in those first 13 lines that people came over. Of course, it appears it is covered in the next 13, but by then the damage may already have been done for some readers. So, just keep that in mind. You really might intrigue is more if you told us up front and right away that 5 people came over to discuss something.

For instance: The morning after the five (whoever they are) came over, Cammy woke and wondered if it was a dream. More like a nightmare, she thought.

Does that help explain it better?

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Killerkop
Member # 2671

- posted      Profile for Killerkop   Email Killerkop         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes your 2nd 13 is much more hooking that the first.
Im hooked off the 2nd. I want to know what they are talking about, why are they there, I thought at first perhaps, the death of a family member in the service, but why would so many be there, and ask to come in, and then this will be good, but painful, what? what will? whats going on?
Much much better of a start. :-)

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post 
The "first 13" is 19 lines when formatted properly. The "second 13" is 18 lines. See FAQS for infomation on proper formatting for line counts.

You're right, you shouldn't tell us anything that the POV character doesn't know. But both excerpts--especially the first--make it sound like she knows what's going on. For example:

quote:
Why should she feel fear, terror, and shame? Her past, which had always haunted her, had caught up with her last night.
The question sounds almost rhetorical. The following sentence sounds like an answer to the question--but one which WE don't understand. If that's not what was intended, then there is a clarity issue. If she really doesn't know why she should feel fear, etc. then it should read something like: "She didn't know why she felt so terrified." In any case, when you talk about her being free of her past, and able to use it to open new doors to freedom--wow. You're telling us that there is a whole bunch of stuff we don't know. The second excerpt sounds like it will explain this stuff rather than tantalize us with it (though it still has the same flaws to a lesser extent), so it would be far better to start there. If her past is really all that significant, on the other hand, it might be better to go way back and start there. (From what you've said, though, I gather that the meeting marks a changing point from which the "adventure" events will flow. If that's correct, then that is the place to start.)

It's true that you don't have to tell us everything in the first 13 lines. But you also don't have to tell us everything we don't know. Tell us what's happening at the moment, plus the knowledge that she has and is relevant (i.e., that she has a reason to think about or be aware of at that moment).

It's also true that we are never going to get a sense of a novel from the first 13 lines. However, we CAN get a sense of whether we want to continue reading. If we know it's a novel, we're probably not going to demand that we're fully caught up as much as in a short story.

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited June 28, 2005).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I hear a few of you saying to say everything the character knows, but wouldn't that cut the story to just a few words, rather than a story? In this case, the character suffered abuse, built a rescue group, then found herself suddenly able to do things she thought long gone. No story, no interest.

Here's how I like it to happen: you tell me exactly what she's thinking and feeling, right now. Not what's going to happen: I *do* like to be in suspense about that. If she's got repressed memory syndrome and isn't aware of what happened when she was 3, I don't want to know that either. But I *do* want to know what she knows, right now.

If the story is too dull that way, then it needs something else in it. It sounds like to me yours won't! A woman uncovering an abusive past (and possibly present -- you can add that too!) and learning how to live, sounds like a pretty gripping story to me.

Why not try it? Spill it. Everything she knows in the moment INCLUDING how stuck she feels -- that's a pretty big challenge, we've got the struggle, and I would be hooked.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.