Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Weaving Fancies For The Children

Author Topic: Weaving Fancies For The Children
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Fantasy/horror(ish). Just under 1500 words. And I've actually worked out how to make sure I'm only posting the "real" first 13 lines

Outside, the wind howled across the dusty plain and beat at the walls of the town.

“Tell us another tale, grandfather!” they clamoured, all the little ones. Xiu Pang pulled at his moustache, long and grey and thin, and sipped his rice wine, and listened to the bamboo creak and rustle in the garden.

“It’s after the time when you were on your sleeping-mats,” he said thoughtfully.

“Oh, just one more story!” the young ones pleaded. The old man smiled. Oh, how they loved his tales!

“Make it a really scary one,” added Shao Kyu with all the solemnity of his seven years. Xiu Pang rocked back and forth where he sat and thought.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I would grant you slack on the theory that there's some reason for framing your scary story with the kids-asking-Grandpa thing, but if there isn't, I recommend just getting to the story. I'm not hooked. I think that's ok, provided the framing here is relevant.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yey.
A nice bit of oriental thing going on.
I'd like to read the whole thing.

Just one sentence really made me keep going back to it & I still dont get it...

“It’s after the time when you were on your sleeping-mats,” he said thoughtfully.

I dont know what this means. I think you're trying to say to the kids its past their bedtime. But, I think you may have not typed it properly?

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the sleeping-mats thing was understandable. Anyone have memories of kindergarten? Many cultures don't have beds like we do, and the reference to a mat gives it a nice third-world tone.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 

If you truly want your story to be a horror, my advice: don't start off with a grandfather giving a story. Start off with a creepy asian proverb, a poem of the monster in your story, or anything else of the sort.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the opening, but I understand Storygiver's statement.

To my western sensibilities -
If this kindly grandfather tells the kiddies a really creepy, gruesome story, then I might begin to think him a bit of a sadist.

But, in some cultures, especially eastern and middle-eastern cultures, gore is an important part of legends, religious teachings, and mythology. Children are often taught the legends and mythology with explicit gore. So this might work because you have an oriental setting.

Edited to say - I'd like to read it.

[This message has been edited by NewsBys (edited July 01, 2005).]

Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Meenie
Member # 2633

- posted      Profile for Meenie   Email Meenie         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your opening. Perhaps the grandfather is going to tell them something true
Anyway, I'll read. I like your style of writing.
Meenie

Posts: 109 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the comments. There is a good reason for framing the story.

benskia, newsBys, Meenie; it will be on the way soon.

Storygiver; you may be right. Perhaps I should start off with the monster in my story in some way

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds interesting...I'll pitch in another opinion if you're in need.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
I only had trouble only with reconciling the image of a bamboo garden on the dusty plains. Bamboo generally doesn't like alkaline soils, dry wind and lack of water. Maybe Xiu is a dedicated gardener willing to lug a lot of water.

[This message has been edited by hoptoad (edited July 05, 2005).]

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.