Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » You opinion for a story plot

Author Topic: You opinion for a story plot
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
Allright, this is about the yolk of the egg

Back ground:
IT's somewhere in the future 2085, and the population of humans is now 19 billion. Since the population is so high, citizens no longer live in homes, but little small spaces that are about 4 feet wide, 3 feet tall, and 8 feet long (I'm considering using meters instead of feet). These are called HALAs-Human Adequate Living Spaces. For three years now, Things (yes, that's their name) have been killing people outside their HALA's when it turns dark.

The technolagy is very low since people are only concerned about getting ahold of food. Already, millions have died in starvation, and major farm companies almost have complete control of the countries.

Meanwhile, a space ship called Last Hope, has blasted off in search of another habital planet.

Characters and plot: Charlie shares his HALA with his son Joseph. They're use to the Things attacking people, but one night, in the HALA right beside them, they hear Mr. Warman screaming, and the next day he is gone.

Now Charlie, realizing that no one is safe, has to find out what the Things are since no one has seen them before, and why they have changed their original feeding ways.

This is a short story scfi/Horror/mystery.

Anywho, now I am trying to figure out how to make the setting more depressing. The sky is polluted so it is always gray, I have charlie fight his way through a hunger riot, and his wife is dead. Any ideas and I'd be more than happy to listen.

[This message has been edited by Storygiver (edited June 30, 2005).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
I always have trouble with suspending disbelief when the characters have never seen a creature that is an integral part of their lives.

I just would have a VERY hard time buying that no one has ever seen a Thing.

Other than that it sounds fascinating.

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited June 30, 2005).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm having some logistics problems, which I'm sure you can solve.

What do the people in the HALSes do so others will give them food? It can't be clerical work, if it's a low-tech world. It can't be mechanical or agricultural -- or can it?

For that matter, if it's low-tech, how can you fit people in that closely without them choking on their own waste? Seems to me it's tougher to cram people in w/o high tech.

If starvation is that severe, how was it -- was it most of the country going fairly hungry (N Korea, a few years ago), or was it one or two provinces the government just gave up on and put up roadblocks, or were there food riots and social collapse?

I recommend Jerry Pournelle's essay on believable societies in, oh, I think it was Writing Science Fiction.

I find your world fascinating, which is why I want to see it fleshed out.

I'm not too interested in the Things, at least as a driving force for the story. Your world already has so much intriguing stuff going on that I might just say, reading, "No! Don't tell me about the man-eating Things -- go back to the social aspects!" Unless the Things ARE a social aspect.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't see the THINGS what makes them THINGS?
In this world, I'm afraid, I would be part of the conspiracy theory sub-culture.

Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
All right, I think I'll be more specific (but wBriggs, thanks for reminding me how they get rid of their waste. I'll add that in).

When the goverment saw how the poputation was about to boom (this boom is called the Swelling) they began building HALA towers in hope to contain the population. Then, for the food problem, they created Mush(a brown paste with all the essential vitamens)and U-Grain bars.

About the riots, I already thought of this. There are two "Forces". There is the Task Force, where the people distribute what food they have evenly, take care of sick, so on and so forth.

Then, to control the hunger riots, and rift raft, there is the Order force. Basically a home made Malitia. Before the Swelling, the goverment realized that people would go crazy, so they gathered all guns with from the citizens (or those that were not involved with a black market). Now the O.F. are the only ones who have guns.

And finally, about the Things. I don't want to ruin the story, but I'll tell you this: They ARE a social aspect. And it is just a roomer among the people that they ARE flesh eating aliens. (The same day the Last Hope disappeared, people began getting eaten by the Things.

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing. If there is still something that does not make sense before I do the start typing, please ask. I would very much appreciate it.

P.S. Thank you so far

johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got a story. At least for me. I was totally drawn into your summary.

Yes, you've got to figure out the milieu and answer some basic questions about what's going on. But I love it.

Can you imagine the wild rumors of the Things. Or maybe someone finding a dead bloated body of one. Kind of like sharks and one rolling up on the beach. Of course, I agree that while he might not have seen one personally, maybe others have. However, let me suggest that the story for me was the threat--the guy next door was eaten or taken. It seems the problem is blocking the Thing out of the cube, not trying to find out about their eating habits (that part sounds like a PBS special). At least, that's what pulled me--the threat of these things. And then the boy and father could have some conflict between them (maybe of buddy cop variety; don't need to have them at total odds, or maybe they are and this is what brings them together).

Question: what do people do all day? It sounds distopian but there are a gazillion people. Is this Soylent Green, no resources left stuff or something else?

I tell you: I'm hooked on this idea. Love it.

[This message has been edited by johnbrown (edited June 30, 2005).]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

For what they do all day, since there are so many people, they usually wait the day in line hoping to get food before it turns dark. That or scrounging(eating bugs, edible weeds, ect.)

Now about the Things. I don't think it will hurt to tell that the Things is actully the Order Force. Charlie discovers the sick truth that their is one more force. The Keeping Force. Their job is to kill one hundred humans a night. I won't tell you how this is connected to Lost Hope, or why they start killing people in their HALAs. But this idea of a bloated monster...it intrigues me. Maybe, to keep the rumor going, they plant a fake carcass of a Thing to make the myth more real. I like it. I like it a lot JohnBrown.

johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you seen the Village? Interesting what they did there to keep people in. Of course, your ruse is to keep people from suspecting. Also, is this government or vigilante?

You probably also need to define the problem. Because if it's to expose the vigilantes then we have to have police. But if they're a government black op, then that doesn't fix the problem. And this protagonist needs to be able to take them down some how. So he's an official in the government or the government doesn't know about these people or what?

I'm still intrigued by the idea. I've got all sorts of plot possibilities running in my mind. When you finish writing it, I want to see it.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post 
The things sound too conveniently like covert population control to me.
Posts: 1683 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
It also sounds very complex for a short. I think to make this credible would take a deeper immersion in the society, so at least a novella length story.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
ken_hawk
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for ken_hawk   Email ken_hawk         Edit/Delete Post 
i like the overall idea of the story, but some gaps do need to be filled (as with all stories in development). but when you finish the first chapters i'd like to read it.
Posts: 52 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
calavari
Member # 2631

- posted      Profile for calavari   Email calavari         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a strand for a while about people not seeing the things, and I just wanted to say that rumors kick up pretty fast and without any real reasoning. There could be all kinds of descriptions from people who said their third cousin's boyfriend saw it or something.
Complete societies don't claim on their own to not know anything about something. In the absence of having scene aliens, we've come up with all kinds of descriptions, and that's just Martians. -

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
derdirector
Member # 2621

- posted      Profile for derdirector   Email derdirector         Edit/Delete Post 
Soylent Green is PEEE_PULL!!!!

Sorry, the plot reminded a little of the old Charleston Heston Flick. I like the fact the plot you have shared this far has such a dark moody feel. Don't loose your claustrophobic feel that in my humble opinion is a great aspect of your plot so far. Tiny rooms, suffocating crowds, these are great devises to add tension to hopefully a claustrophobic plot. My only criticism so far, is the fact that a ship is going out in search of a planet. I may be knit picking, but in my mind it is a little more feasible for probes to do the searching and ships to go to more investigative work. Or maybe the ship is going to set up a colony on a planet they have already found. Do the initial prep work.
The "things" are a good "stick" in controlling the humans, you may think of setting up a "carrot" to control the humans. The promise of a new "Eden" could be just as powerful as the fear of being killed by the "Things". OR that may be totally opposite from where you are taking the story. Love to hear more.

Looking for a good writing group,
derdirector

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
You need to work out your numbers a bit. Like, this business of killing a hundred people a night...are we talking about a hundred people per night per million inhabitants or something like that? Because less than that would be...basically pointless. And a hundred people per million multiplied by 19 billion is 1.9 million people a night, so this is a major undertaking.

To get the best effect, you'd want to concentrate on killing young women. In fact, killing anyone else would seem pretty stupid, if your goal is keeping the population down. Also, it gives a bit more flavor to your horror if the target is reproductive aged women. Part of that is instinctive, part social-conditioning.

I would target the food supply, myself. If all the food is heavily processed and distributed by the government, it wouldn't be that hard to systematically poison the rations going to "non-productives" so that they sickened and died without a costly and potentially disastrous extermination campaign. Of course, there is the question of how efficient it is to heavily process food if food supplies are really low. We eat processed food in this country mainly because foodstuffs are so abundent and cheap that it is very difficult to make a profit on it unless you heavily process it and market it. If food were scarce, you wouldn't want to do that.

Anyway, good luck with this. Write it up some and see what the readers here think.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
MichaelCReed
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for MichaelCReed   Email MichaelCReed         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this story idea. It was posted a while back, so I'm sure it's pretty much underway by now, but I wanted to point out one technical issue that wBriggs mentioned but which I wanted to expand upon. Namely, the waste thing.

19 billion people packed into a close space would generate an enormous amount of waste heat. I mean, a staggering amount of heat. I would have to calculate it out, but more than tripling the world's population could potentially change the climate. Keeping them packed into tiny, close-together spaces would be like dumping chicks into a radiator; it would be lethal unless you had a fairly sophisticated way of diffusing the heat. Perhaps they convert it into mechanical energy? It would help justify my "why didn't the government just kill off a huge section of the population at once when they saw things were going to go baby-mad" questions, if the people had a Matrix-style "copper-top" use. The heat would still have to go somewhere, though.

I think Larry Niven touches on this issue in the Ringworld books -- his Puppeteers are incredibly numerous and don't get out much, so they have much of the same problems. You may want to research this topic for "the old solutions," because the practical (not to mention eco-biological) unreality of hyper-overpopulation is an issue that comes up in science fiction on a very regular basis.

I'd love to read the finished product.

~MR

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
lordnequam
Member # 2716

- posted      Profile for lordnequam   Email lordnequam         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm . . . more depressing? From what I've read of your summary, I should imagine the entire world in these HALAs would be extremely monotonous, almost hive-like. The sheer, grinding boredom would probably be a central theme to these areas. I doubt they would have access to entertainment options like a TV or computer, given the sheer difficulty with providing a significant portion of 19 billion people with individual devices, powering them, and keeping them working.

Also, they would generate more heat, which would exacerbate the previous comment on the body heat of the people.

Then, given that they have to stay inside while things are dark, I think the sheer boredom would start to drive people mad. That'd add some darkness to the setting, I would imagine.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.