Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Room

Author Topic: The Room
Moonshine
Member # 2704

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
Tap. Tap. Tap.

Quinten rolled over and pulled the blanket over his head.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

He groaned and pushed the blanket down as he glanced at the digital clock that stood on the dresser by the bedroom door. The angry red numbers blinked ‘2:02.’ Quinten mumbled as he shuffled from the bed to the door, smashing his toe on the way.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

“Dammit! I’m already on my way!” He yelled in frustration as he opened the door of his one room apartment.

In the moment that the door opened, Quinten saw someone shift in the deep shadow. He reached around the doorframe and flipped the light on. He only caught a glimpse of the butt of a gun before his world turned red.

[This message has been edited by Moonshine (edited July 05, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Moonshine (edited July 07, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Moonshine (edited July 07, 2005).]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the beginning, it got me interested because really you don't know anything at all. What did confuse me is when you switched perspectives to this Alex character... or maybe they are the same character? I really don't know where the "Alex" came from... otherwise I like it.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to Hatrack!

That sounds pretty good so far. The only problem I see is the repetition of "tap". After the first six, the reader just starts zooming over them without reading. I think you can keep, say, the first three. In my opinion, the story would improve quite a bit if after that you found some way to convey the constant tapping without actually using the word "tap." For example, you could just say in words that it is continuing ("The drumming continued."), or describe the MC interacting with it (he wonders where it is coming from, it echoes through his aching head, etc.)

Seems like a very suspenseful opener!

Best,

K.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 2704

Woops! I changed the name from Adam to Quinten after I wrote it...I guess that I forgot to fix that one. Sorry.
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
So far so good. You got me hooked. Just the constant "Tap" thing got a little irritating. But that's easy to fix.

Welcome to Hatrck!

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, get rid of some of the tapping and this can work.

And ditto on the welcome.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested, and I concur with the tap-tap's. I think you can cut it down to one tap-tap per instance rather than three. It would work for me, but it may still be too much for other readers.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
After everyone else's comments, I probably shouldn't say that I quite like the repetition of the "tap-tap". It drives home just how annoying it is, forcing the protagonist to react to it.

Just goes to show how critiquing can be a matter of stylistic choice, rather than absolute grammatical or linguistic rights and wrongs.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I just caught something here... at the end you say his world turned "red" wouldn't it turn black if he went unconcious? Unless that's a little trick you threw in there to make the reader eventually go, "Oh, I never realized that he didn't actually get knocked out..."
But I think I would like to see black instead of red...
Just nitpicks, like I said it's really good.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, usually going unconscious involves forgetting the last few minutes prior to loss of consciousness. However, events of nearly going unconscious can produce a variety of effects. Everything turning red is one, seeing stars (actually, it looks more like faint static or perhaps sparks), blurring, dimness, there are a lot of things you might experience. Everything going black is just the most cliche.

I was puzzled by why it would be dark at 2 in the afternoon. I don't know why no one else has mentioned that. Maybe everyone thought the tapping was worse.

I don't have a problem with the tapping, except that it doesn't convey the impression of someone knocking on his door, however gently. And I think that this knocking is supposed to be more insistent than gentle, even if it isn't particularly loud (for, you know, knocking on a door). Tapping is what I do on the windows of bad children to...er, I mean it's not a noise that one associates with doors so much.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 2704

Oh my goodness! I did not even realize that I hadn't changed the time. Thank you so much. I've fixed some of the tapping and I've changed the time...Thank you!
bradford
Member # 2708

- posted      Profile for bradford   Email bradford         Edit/Delete Post 
The 2 in the afternoon did not bother me, I instantly assumed that he was a grave yard shift worker or something like that and had the room dark. This would also help add to why it was so annoying to be woke up. (anyone who has had this happens understands). The tap thing I think is ok if you are going for annoying
Posts: 40 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

It still says two in the afternoon. And "Tap. Tap. Tap." still doesn't sound like any kind of knocking on the door.
Moonshine
Member # 2704

Now it says "2:02" and there are fewer taps. I'm not sure if I want to change the taps to knocks...I haven't decided.
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

Just realized that the last two sentences both start with "He." Maybe you could change it to "He reached around the doorframe and flipped the light on, only (or some other adverb if you'd like) catching a glimpse of the butt of a gun before his world turned red."

Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
Tap'ing did get annoying. Also, whether or not you may be conscious of this, beginning with a character waking up is a cliche that may make an editor groan.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Eh, so is starting with a character walking into a room (particularly a bar ). I don't mind scenes that begin with the beginning of a scene.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.