Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Keeper of Potatoes

Author Topic: Keeper of Potatoes
DavidGill
Member # 1688

- posted      Profile for DavidGill   Email DavidGill         Edit/Delete Post 
The first page of a 6k fantasy story.

[removed: thanks for the feedback!]

I thought johnbrown's scale of 1-5 (blah-great) was a great tool. Please consider using it to rate this bit.

[This message has been edited by DavidGill (edited July 07, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by DavidGill (edited July 08, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by DavidGill (edited July 10, 2005).]

Posts: 179 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Minister
Member # 2213

- posted      Profile for Minister   Email Minister         Edit/Delete Post 
What are you looking for here? Comments just on the opening, or readers for the whole piece?

Were I to comment on the opening, I would say that the second paragraph, particularly the last sentence, is a far better hook than the first paragraph.

Posts: 491 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 1688

Just comments on the first 13.
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
David,

Initial thoughts:

I'm not thrilled by your title. It's dull. I had no problem with the "hook" of either paragraph. You hint to a larger, interesting world and I'd keep reading.

Nit: Was there a real reason for capitalizing "spring"? If not, then it shouldn't be. (Though it's hard to tell in fantasy stories.)

I'm not giving you a number because I find it hard to quantify. It didn't have me grabbing my chair armrests with white knuckled fists... but it did pique my interest.

-Oliver

[This message has been edited by Rahl22 (edited July 08, 2005).]

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked the title a lot. I'm curious about what a Keeper of Potatoes is - to me it sounds weird, but also solid and grounded, and I like that combination a lot.

I'm not hooked. Your hero has woken up and described the scenery and a plant - with that kind of uneventful opening, you essentially have to rely on the language to carry it, and it seems as if that's what you're going for. However, the present tense is an obstacle for me, and I don't usually find dense descriptive passages compelling.

But I think that's more about my preferences than anything - the writing is clean and the descriptions are good, and probably I'm just not the ideal reader for this.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot here about a tree. It's hard for me to care about a bush, but I am curious. I can't exactly pinpoint a number either. Mostly because I lean more towards stories with a deeper POV. And too much description so early on in the narrative makes me a bit nervous. This is opinion and taste, nothing more. It is well written on the whole, as Beth said. It just lacks bite.

However, the title, I thought, was interesting. I think it may be a bit misleading. "Keeper of Potatoes" makes me think it's going to be funny or off beat. But then I read the first few lines and, well, nothing was funny about it. Of course maybe it's like "The Book Of Three" by Alexander, and he's some kind of slop-mucking (or potato-picking) guy who turns hero. That's always fun.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't grab me at all. There is a lot of description of where he is going and what he is wearing, but there is no real action, or hook.

The first person present tense didn't work for me either. It sounds too much like he is telling the story instead of living it.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 1688

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
"and decided to kill my brother" makes all the difference in the world! Now the description has a lot more weight, and I'm curious about why he's killing his brother.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
Dear David,

Hi! I didn't get a chance to see the first version, but this second one seems really good! I think it would make me keep reading. The only critiques I would make are fairly trivial:

--The first sentence of a paragraph is often the topic sentence. But the first sentence in your first paragraph is not only not the topic, it is unrelated to anything else mentioned in the remainder of that paragraph. I would either move it to the 2nd paragraph or try to tie it in to the 1st paragraph more (ex: "... I made the long trek up the blue mountain my people call the Goddess, up where even the goats do not go...")

-- I think it would be better to leave off "early in the morning" if you're going to say "before dawn" later anyway.

--I was a little confused by the name Maori, which I take is the name of a specific person. This is also the name of the indigenous people of New Zealand. I kept wanting to read the sentence "With my master and THE OTHER Maori still in their hammocks..." especially since the high blue mountain suggests a New Zealand locale.

--I think it is unecessary to state "The nectar of the flowers is poison." It is obvious enough by that point.

But as I said, all just minor points which I bring up only because I didn't find anything major to discuss! Don't know if any of those will strike a chord with you, but I thought I would give you the things that occurred to me.

Best,

K.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 1688

Great points, everyone.
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better! I would have to go with kkmmaacc on all those extra points, especially on the first line. I'd just go with: "Early this morning, I decided to kill my brother." That's an awesome first line.

Nice work.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
DavidGill
Member # 1688

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.