Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Freddy Krueger conquers the Scots

Author Topic: Freddy Krueger conquers the Scots
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
No, this isn't fan-fic, it is my story from the first Liberty Hall Flash Challenge. I'm not 100% sure I want to do anything with this, so I'm looking for feedback on the whole thing to see if it is worth the effort. It is what I would call dark humour. Humour is hard enough to pull off, and I want to make sure I'm more or less on the mark.
---------------
Freddy Krueger Conquers the Scots
733 words
Dark Humour
---------------
There are I times I get angry. Real angry. But to my credit, I’ve never done anything I might regret in the morning. I mean, it isn’t like I’ve killed anyone – yet. Not that I haven’t wanted to.

Consider this. Every morning I have to get up and go to work. It’s early and I’m not a morning person. I don’t drink coffee and Coke just burns in my stomach if I drink it too early. So it is best if people just leave me alone until at least nine o’clock. I don’t think that’s asking too much. Finally the weekend comes and I can sleep in. Finally after five days of pre-dawn hell, I get a reprieve, a day where I can relax and get the sleep I need to recharge my batteries. It keeps me sane, which keeps the masses safe for the rest of the week.

Posts: 1473 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
hopekeeper
Member # 2701

- posted      Profile for hopekeeper   Email hopekeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it. I have friends who write dark humor as well, but you did it without throwing in unnecesary gore and violence. I would keep reading.
Posts: 73 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

- posted      Profile for Robyn_Hood   Email Robyn_Hood         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh there is violence eventually, it's just pretty low key -- no blood and guts. The flash challenge trigger that week was Utricide (one who stabs an inflated skin vessel instead of killing someone http://phrontistery.info/kill.html)

Thanks for the feedback.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited July 12, 2005).]

Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it. fsilv01s@uis.edu
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Keeley
Member # 2088

- posted      Profile for Keeley   Email Keeley         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read if you still need a reader.
Posts: 836 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
davidedwardsmusic
Member # 2678

- posted      Profile for davidedwardsmusic   Email davidedwardsmusic         Edit/Delete Post 

I like it. The title is a little gimmicky, but hooks me enough that I will read on to find out what kind of crazy thing you've concocted. What lines you've included are also intriguing: who is this guy? Is he Freddy in an alternate universe? or Freddy before he reaches the point of no return and actually he might just be redeemed, turn his evil tendencies to good and win a military victory for the gipper?

Send it my way.

[This message has been edited by davidedwardsmusic (edited July 12, 2005).]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

Sent.
Moonshine
Member # 2704

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
"Finally the weekend comes and I can sleep in. Finally after five days of pre-dawn hell, I get a reprieve, a day where I can relax and get the sleep I need to recharge my batteries. It keeps me sane, which keeps the masses safe for the rest of the week. "

You said finally and then said it again...Don't finalize unless you're finalizing.

Posts: 24 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Robyn_Hood
Member # 2083

The double "Finally" is intended to be a bit poetic and both finalies refer to the same thing -- the weekend, his reprieve. I want it this way because that is how the character thinks and speaks.

If I change the punctuation as follows, does it flow better?
--------------
Finally the weekend comes and I can sleep in; finally - after five days of pre-dawn hell - I get a reprieve, a day where I can relax and get the sleep I need to recharge my batteries.

[This message has been edited by Robyn_Hood (edited July 13, 2005).]

mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember this. By all means it is worth working on.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonshine
Member # 2704

- posted      Profile for Moonshine   Email Moonshine         Edit/Delete Post 
The change of punctuation is redeeming.
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
bradford
Member # 2708

- posted      Profile for bradford   Email bradford         Edit/Delete Post 
The title made me wonder what these lines had to do with it. But then again it is only 13 lines. I think the double Finaly is too much even if you are trying to be poetic. I'm sure this is not the Final time finaly will be brought up before it is Final.
Posts: 40 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.