Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Unnamed Story, Revision I

Author Topic: Unnamed Story, Revision I
lordnequam
Member # 2716

- posted      Profile for lordnequam   Email lordnequam         Edit/Delete Post 
A good group of people here. It did not take people long to cut to the heart of the matter. I admit to a certain fear when dealing with my characters - I am much more confident with myself when I am describing a static object or scene than dealing with the inner space of a character, or the interplay of dialogue.

I reworked the story a bit, juggling some of the later lines to move the introduction of the main character to the very front of the story. I suffer from the familiar writer's disease that, when I have no one to tell me of my foolishness, I assume I know how to write, and therefor am loathe to dispose of any line or metaphor I have already written. I attempt to cure myself of this affliction constantly, but have, as of yet, made little headway. Hopefully, this will not too adversely affect the revision.

Any criticism, no matter how biting (indeed, the more vicious, the better), is eagerly solicited.

============

It was known simply as The Angel.

Framed by the porthole, it might have been a man’s hand in width, if it were a thing to be touched from where he stood. But First Lieutenant Zhiang Zhisheng – formerly of the People’s Liberation Army Air Forces, currently of the United Nations Space Defense League – knew a wide gulf of kilometers separated him from the drifting bulk. In the cargo pod around him, quiet but for the occasional impatient shuffle, were nineteen other men who knew it as well.

Outside that small pane of clear plastic, great sheets of light-bending metal stretched out in a pair of mighty, curved wings, colored only by sculpted canals of a deep blackness that mimicked the space around it. Divinity seemed to radiate from it in a white nimbus. It blotted out a great field of stars in its wake, eclipsed entire planets with its passage, and made Zhiang sick with awe and hatred.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
The changes are interesting. I have a bit of a problem with the particular way you introduce Lt. Zhiang, "formerly of the People’s Liberation Army Air Forces, currently of the United Nations Space Defense League". And I was puzzled by what he and the other men were doing in a cargo pod...with portholes.

But the description worked much better for me this time. I had a much clearer idea of what was going on, despite the phrase "that small pane of clear plastic" used in reference to the very first noun of the prior paragraph. That phrase also tends to indicate that the thing being described (the Angel) could reasonably have its location described with respect to a small pane of clear plastic, which is not the case.

All the same, I was able to gather several key bits of information that weren't in the previous version. Probably the most important was that the Angel is of interest to the UNSDL, and it doesn't make them happy.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
lordnequam
Member # 2716

- posted      Profile for lordnequam   Email lordnequam         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should hold off on denoting military affiliations until later in the story, huh?

As for the part with the "small pane of clear plastic," I did struggle with that line a bit, and wasn't really satisfied with what I ended up with. But I also felt I needed something to keep the description of The Angel tied to Zhiang's point of view. I'll work on it some more.

Thanks for the feedback!

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeraliey
Member # 2147

- posted      Profile for Jeraliey   Email Jeraliey         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better, much more engaging. Especially the part about "sick with awe and hatred". That really drew me in.

[This message has been edited by Jeraliey (edited July 12, 2005).]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Aug 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
davidedwardsmusic
Member # 2678

- posted      Profile for davidedwardsmusic   Email davidedwardsmusic         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I had to read this three times to try to understand what was going on, and am still not sure. I thought the very nice first line would be enough, but then felt dragged into a web of opaque description, and most of the time I didn't know what was being described. A few notes:

* "But First Lieutenant Zhiang Zhisheng – formerly of the People’s Liberation Army Air Forces, currently of the United Nations Space Defense League –" This is a cheap way of getting his info out to the reader. It entirely violates his POV and could much better be done other ways than just dumping it and saying -- here ya go.

* My first image was of a hand-sized angel set up in the port hole of a ship, like a knick-knack. Then it took me two readings to maybe understand that the porthole was on Zhiang's ship, not that of the drifting bulk. I'm still not positive though.

* "Outside that one pane of clear plastic..." Was it right outside or still kilometers away? I'm so confused. I'm guessing kilometers away, and that you are describing the angel, but what does that have to do with the drifting bulk? And what is the drifting bulk? A ship?

* I liked the description of the angel (if that indeed is what you were describing)

* If Zhiang is getting sick with awe and hatred, wouldn't the other men be a little more involved than to just shuffle impatiently?

* It took me a while to decide whether we were on the sea or in space (I jumped right over the "Space Defense League" title because I jump over lazy POV violations as a matter of principle :-)

[This message has been edited by davidedwardsmusic (edited July 12, 2005).]

Posts: 48 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we need to know the bits about Lt. Zhiang's character that are relevent to the current scene, in his view.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.