Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Hero -Continued

Author Topic: Hero -Continued
mythopoetic
Member # 2624

- posted      Profile for mythopoetic   Email mythopoetic         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so this story doesn't have chapters but there are points where the story moves along a bit and things change up so it seems like it could be the beginning of a chapter. This is one of those spots. I'm going to post the first 13 lines of it. The reason I'm doing so is because I'm wondering if it jumps too much from idea to idea between the two paragraphs. Let me know. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------

There was a legion stationed outside the village now, closer to ringing it in a blockade than anything else. Or so Naironi put it at least. Every time she had to pass through their checkpoints on her way to pick up supplies from the countryside she felt nervous. These men had dark strains to them. She could see ruthless tendencies in their eyes and wondered how they could be here to protect them and not to conquer. Who checked their authority, she had to ask. If they chose to rape and pillage would anyone stop them?

There were pirates now. They raided everywhere up and down the coast, but they had hit the village twice now in succession so the King sent troops in case they tried for a third time in a row. There had never been pirates before, not in her lifetime or that of her parents and grandparents. This was something new and entirely unexpected and the village had been caught by surprise each time. No one knew just where the brigands had come from, just that they were here now and posed a danger.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you seem to be using at least two POV characters in this work, you might want to consider having a little more Naironi (sounds like some kind of kid friendly pasta to me) in your POV.

The topic doesn't shift too much, but the attitude does. You could successfully combine her fear of the soliders and her fear of the pirates, but instead they come across as entirely separate ideas, like there are two characters thinking about the matter from different points of view.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.