Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Memories of Tomorrow - short sci-fi

Author Topic: Memories of Tomorrow - short sci-fi
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
edit- Not worth it. Nevermind.

[This message has been edited by Exploding Monkey (edited July 25, 2005).]

Posts: 57 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it hook me? A little, maybe. But I'm really put off by the insinuation in the first line that he's 'watering' the alley, when in actuality he's not. That first sentence totally misled me. I was unprepared for what came next, and therefore confused.

Do I want to read on? No. Mostly because I'm not well enough convinced that he needs to be pretending to pee in order to hide what he's really doing. That just doesn't seem very wise. If, say, a cop comes and gets after him for peeing in the alley he can't just hurry and zip up and go. He also has to hide his minicomp. He'll look suspicious taking so long to 'zip up his pants.' I don't know. I'd think that in this world minicomps would be so commonplace that no one would pay any attention to him working on it if he were, say, sitting in a coffee shop. Kinda like kids today with MP3s and Game Boys. He wouldn't draw suspicion, and he could stow it fast.

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
I give up on these forums. It says to post 13 lines, yet every person that critiques the 13 I post always knocks things down based on missing information that is indeed contained in the next 13 or so.

What is the point of posting such a short amount of material when all it does is confuse those who are reading it? I can’t get any useful feedback as a result, and it just makes me want to quit writing altogether. I’m through with this useless place.

KDW, feel free to take this thread down to spare Hatrack the bandwith.

[This message has been edited by Exploding Monkey (edited July 25, 2005).]

mogservant
Member # 1739

- posted      Profile for mogservant   Email mogservant         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope not but if you are, it's your loss. The point of posting your material here is not to get a pat on the back but to be critiqued by other writers. You should be able to separate the opinions given here from your own goals and desires for a piece. Besides, half the critiques on here don't even agree with each other. They just give each writers opinion and suggestions on what you've written. If you want to write, be willing to listen to those who are doing it. And honestly, if we're confused by something in your first 13 there's a good chance another reader will be too. Even if you answer the questions later the fact that you don't explain beforehand can get tedious to a reader. Either way. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by mogservant (edited July 25, 2005).]

Posts: 36 | Registered: Sep 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

I didn’t say I was here for a pat on the back, nor did I say I couldn’t separate people’s opinions from my own goals.

See, this is exactly the problem here. You yourself misunderstood my post because of the limited information I provided as to my reasons for leaving. That’s what is broken about how things work here.

If I post 13 lines here, I get all kinds of different feedback, but almost none of it is of any use because the readers can’t see past those 13 lines. When I give my stories to people in my community, they can go past those 13 to clear up what was confusing them or didn’t seem to work in their mind. Then they can give me a fuller and much more useful criticism on where the problem areas are in the story.

In here, I hand people a fragment and they draw conclusions without having all the needed information at hand. So the feedback they provide does nothing for me, and because it’s so off-base it frustrates me into thinking there are problems that exist in my work that may indeed be there, but need much more complete analysis to come up with the solutions they require.

So don’t patronize me just because I’m not in love with a broken system. It doesn’t work for me, so I’m moving on to other tools and ideas (as any good writer should do).

WodgerWhamjet
Member # 2744

- posted      Profile for WodgerWhamjet   Email WodgerWhamjet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you need to change your name from "exploding monkey" to "overly-sensitive monkey".

Instead of blaming us, have you ever considered the fact that your writing isn't as good as you think it is?

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't really matter how brilliantly you clarify everything later on if you can't convince the reader to read past the first page.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the problem lies in thinking the function of the first 13 is intended to provide a detailed analysis of the writer's work. The premise is not to ask "what do you think of my story," it is "does this snippet intrigue you enough to make you want to read on?" There is much you can tell in the first 13, about style, the writer's competency at wordcrafting, whether there seems to be an interesting start of a story.

The first 13 is like an appetizer. Can you hook the reader into wanting the main course? Or do they turn their nose up at it and say, "Ew. This doesn't suit my tastes."

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
And, Wodger Whamjet: I have to assume your name reveals your age... does anyone beside me remember Rodger Ramjet? (He's our man, the Hero of our Nation... for his adventures just be sure to stay tuned to this station!)
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

How am I being overly sensitive? Can you hear the inflections in my voice?

You're all missing what I am saying here, so I'll play it out for you:

I write a story and submit 13 lines of an intro here at the Hatrack forums (I've done this before). I get all kinds of feedback taking me in all kinds of different directions but it serves no purpose whatsoever because the reader can't see past those 13 lines.

Now, I hand the story to a friend of mine who also writes. He reads the whole thing and says something like:

"Hey man, the first page confused me. I didn't understand what was going on until around page two."
"Why's that," I ask.
"Because," he goes on, "page two and three are just going over what you wrote on page one, but they make much more sense. Page one is confusing and redundant. Try compressing your ideas on page one into two and three, or better yet, just ax page one completely."
"Oh, okay. I'll keep that in mind."

See? Sure, with 13 lines you can get a taste of style, but that's about it. And if this forum is about critiquing style and style alone, then it only serves the egos of the writers that frequent it.

I am beginning to suspect that this may indeed be the case. Comments like: “The point of posting your material here is not to get a pat on the back,” or “Instead of blaming us, have you ever considered the fact that your writing isn't as good as you think it is,” lead me to believe this. Even OSC will tell you style is something that comes in time; not by default. I could care less how pretty and flowing my prose is right now, I’m trying to learn how to tell a compelling and interesting story in a competent manner. But because I am limited in how I can share a story in here, I cannot get the feedback I need to improve.

So far, Elan is the only person that has offered any insight as to what a system using a 13-line submission is good for. However, I’m looking for more than just pleasing Hatrackers with flashy prose. I’m trying to work out the meat and potatoes of writing, but all you people seem to be interested in is how effective a 13-line poem could be in pleasing your senses.

The other problem is that with an open forum there are way too wide a range of skill and age groups, but everyone thinks they are an expert on the craft. I have other methods for getting much more useful feedback than this. Just because I decided I am through with the broken system in here, doesn’t give people the right to insult and patronize me because of it.

Beth
Member # 2192

You have no idea what this place is about, and seem interested only in complaining that it isn't what you want it to be. Have fun!

Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

So enlighten me.
Beth
Member # 2192

No, thanks! You're busy storming off; I'd only be in the way.
Exploding Monkey
Member # 2444

How constructive and useful. Thanks for bringing your pointless voice to the table.
Beth
Member # 2192

You're fun! I wish you were sticking around. Oh, well.
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Addressing this not to EM . . .

Of course, it's true that 13 lines don't answer all questions. However, as a reader, I can distinguish questions that I think should already be answered from those that shouldn't.

Generally, those things that make me think the author doesn't know what he's doing; and those that make me unsure what's going on -- those I want answered, right now. In some cases, I can be put off for a while, with a hint that the author knows this is a good question and will tell me in a moment. Not many.

Inga had run almost to the edge of her endurance. The monster was close behind . . . OK, I don't need to know what the monster looks like, right now. But I DO need to know what she's running from.

I can't always use plot to hook a reader in the first 13 (especially with a novel), but I can at least make the writing or the characters interesting enough to keep going.

Now, addressed specifically to EM:

I didn't have a problem with MC's subterfuge, because I imagined he was in a place where cops citing people for public tinkling were unlikely. Also, it seems to be a cyberpunk world, where people have more urgent things on their mind.

On the other hand, the story didn't particularly interest me. It's hard to say why, so I didn't comment.

However, if I believe that your response to a critique may well be anger rather than "thank you," I'll be unlikely to comment, even if it really grips me.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful about taking the advice only of a friend, no matter how competent. Having some total strangers, like on Hatrack, critique your work can give you a firm idea of how total strangers will react to it. (And you'll probably find no one stranger than the likes of us. )

As far as the first thirteen lines go, please note that the first thirteen lines of a short story have to do more work than the first thirteen of a novel. And yet even with a novel, those first thirteen can determine whether you get an editor to read your work at all.

At a writer's conference, I took part in a couple of sessions called "Preparing the Pages" and "So, You Wanna Buy It?" by Jeff Kleinman. They were a reenactment of what goes on in publishing houses. The participants 'submitted' their first five pages, which according to Kleinman would be sufficient to determine marketability. He demonstrated how editors went through a stack. Most submissions didn't make it through five pages. After one or two paragraphs, they were literally tossed on the floor.

So you might think you should have a few pages to get into the meat of your work, but editors don't. Isn't it better to have Hatrackers or other assorted strangers give you the bad news so you can hone your stories before facing the real-life editorial gauntlet?

[This message has been edited by Kolona (edited July 25, 2005).]

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
While I have documented a certain dissatisfaction with the apparent insistence of having a "hook" in the first 13 lines of a novel-length work, I do understand the need to at least engage the reader's interest to some extent.

While some people tend to post rough 13-line pieces in here without apparently clear ideas of where the story might go, there are also people who post 13 lines here from finished (or final draft, or rough draft, or whatever) stories with the aim of sending the full piece out for critique to anyone who volunteers. To give up because of one response that says "no, I'm not hooked" just seems to be a woeful overreaction. If you want "useful feedback" - send out a whole story to critiquers. It looks as if ExplodingMonkey has completely missed this part of the process. I'm not sure how or why.

As for the point that there is "too wide a range of skill and age groups" - well, yes, and it will probably take time for anyone to learn whether particular people are providing more useful critiques than others. But when you publish a story, you don't get any say on the skill or age group of who might be reading it, so surely it's valuable to have feedback at all levels?

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yey. Here's a penny or two for pondering over.

I doubt that any writer would intentionally seek to infuse any feeling of confusion in their readers. In my opinion confusion is never a good thing for them to be feeling when reading a story. A sense of urgency to find out what is going to happen next, or I wonder how the MC is going to get out of this one is fine (and part of what makes a hook), but never confusion--which exploding monkey seems to talk about a lot.

Additionally, your 'friend' appears to have given you the same advise after reading 3 pages as people have on this site after reading 13 lines. He's told you to start the book on page 2 because the first part is redundant / confusing. Well, from what I can understand, that's what people have said to you on here after reading the first few lines. The advice is the same--change it, it's no good.

You need to learn to use the information given to you as you so wish. Ignore it if you like, that's fine, but ignore it for a good reason, not because your pride has been injured. Listen to the advice given, and use it for your gain.

There are quite a few arguments already on here where people have commented that 13 lines isn't always enough for the critiquers to adequately comment on the plot of the story. But they have been made in far less stroppy terms.

One of the options that was open to you was to offer to send the completed story to the critiquers after tempting them in with your first 13 lines. However, I feel that you've probably blown this opportunity now. Also, nobody seemed hooked and wanted to read more anyway.

All the best with your writing. But, you've already spoken about giving up. I wonder if you have the attitude to keep at it.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.