Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » DEA Plane

Author Topic: DEA Plane
TL 601
Member # 2730

- posted      Profile for TL 601   Email TL 601         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a rougher version of this at the Notebored. Now it's a little bit cleaner.

I'm looking for readers. Also looking for comments on the opening. This is about 1600 words in length.
--------------------------------------------

He tells her she isn’t psychic. He doesn’t believe in psychics. She says, "That’s what you think, Mr. Negative," and sticks out her tongue.

Changing the subject, Mr. Negative says, in a quiet voice: "You were raped?"

The Psychic stops walking, so he stops, too. She stops talking.

"When were you raped?" he says.

They’re above the neighborhood now, in the hills. Seeing house lights, seeing the cross-hatch of streets in the dark.

She speaks slowly. "The first time I had sex with Angelo, it wasn't really consensual. I kept telling him no. But he didn't stop. I mean, I didn't really consider it rape, because I didn't try to fight him. I didn't scream or anything, like you see in the movies. I just kept saying no. And when it was over, I was crying, and he said 'What's wrong?' And I said, 'What do you think?'”

Posts: 237 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm hooked. I'd like to read it.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
yanos
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for yanos   Email yanos         Edit/Delete Post 
4 or 5 paragraphs in and I still cannot work out anything about these characters, POV, setting or direction of the story. There is no reader involvement here, which for me is a major turn-off. You also mix in his actions with her actions and speech. These should be separate paragraphs.
Posts: 575 | Registered: Dec 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
onepktjoe
Member # 2352

- posted      Profile for onepktjoe   Email onepktjoe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read, TL.
Posts: 230 | Registered: Feb 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
The first part confuses me, but I'd be willing to read it to see why you've made these stylistic choices.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
TL 601
Member # 2730

All right, I'll send it out when I get back from work. Anyone else?
TL 601
Member # 2730

Well, I have to apologize, but today I was thinking about this story and I made a huge realization about what I want to do with it, so I'm going to go back and do a major overhaul and add a lot of material.

So I won't be sending it out, but thank you so much for the offers to read. It's just a totally different beast in my mind than this version, so....

Thanks anyway, sincerely. I'll bring it back here after I've done these revisions.

MichaelCReed
Member # 2715

- posted      Profile for MichaelCReed   Email MichaelCReed         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Troy.

You really don't need to ask -- when you've got something, just send it my way. By now, you're out of my slushpile.

Congratulations -- I'm a fan.

But since I haven't said that yet, I figured I would just point that out and say that yeah, I'll read it.

~MR

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.