Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Befriending the Devil

Author Topic: Befriending the Devil
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I am violating the rules on this one, but I don't plan to do much with it. I just wrote it and thought it would be nice to see your opinions about it. Enjoy.

“I’m telling you John, I don’t trust him,” Lucifer perfectly hit the cue-ball, sending the green, ricocheting off walls and glasses, landing perfectly into the corner pocket. He was holding back. “He says that I can have the whole thing. The whole thing! What kind of God sends all of humanity into his enemy’s hands?”

I shrugged. “Well?”

He ceased his aiming and peered at me. “Well what?”

“Did you sign the contract?”

He sighed, “Yea, I did. I’m a greedy son of flame. But there’s probably a loop hole. Just like that damn Jesus contract,” He hit the cue-ball and to my surprised, missed. Dev gave a curse, snapping his stick in half. “How was I suppose to know he was sacrificing his son for the “forgiveness” of others?”

I leaned against my stick, and could not help but smile at the devil’s frustration. “Just because we are in hell, doesn’t mean you have to torment yourself about these things.”

[This message has been edited by Storygiver (edited July 29, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 31, 2005).]

Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Storygiver, the "rules" are in place for a good reason. If you don't wish to adhere to them, then you might try to find a different avenue to solicite critiques. I hesitate to go over the reasons, yet again, for the 13 line restriction. You can do a search on this site and find multiple discussions on the topic.

I've noticed that some writers, particularly younger ones, thumb their nose at the "rules" and treat them like some sort of shackles that are meant to suppress their creativity. I assure you that is not the case. The rule about the first 13 is in place, in large part, to protect you and your claim to the electronic rights of your story. Violating the First 13 rule isn't an act of defiance when you give up your ability to be published by doing it, it's an act of ignorance of the legalities of the publishing world.

When you disregard the clear guidelines for this forum, it is a signal that you don't want to be playing on the same playing field the rest of us do. That, for me, is a strong enough reason for me to NOT want to critique your work.

I gently ask you to edit your initial post down to the first 13 lines, and then ask for critique.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
Elan, I have the upmost respect for the rules, and I understand them clearly.

Quote: "but I don't plan to do much with it."

I know that I am violating my publishing rights, but for this story, it doesn't matter. It was an idea my younger brother came up with, and I expanded upon it for fun. Notice the key word is "fun". I don't plan submitting this to any publishers, so I simply wanted other people to read it besides myself and brothers. What you see before you is the WHOLE story.

If my mom has taught me one thing, it is to respect my elders.

I did not mean to break the rules. I hope you will still give me an opinion of the story.Is it making sense at all?

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Storygiver, you can go back and edit your post to make it comply with the rules - just click the button that looks like a piece of paper with a pencil over it.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

Fine, how about this: You give an opinion of the WHOLE story, and I will edit it down to 13 lines. I just want someone to tell me if they enjoyed it, or despised the thing.

But thanks beth for asking nicely. I do appreciate your concern, and hope that I am not acting too rebellious.

Rock on.

Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not willing to work outside the rules that have been established for this site, personally - which means I'm not even going to consider reading the full piece unless you edit your post to show only the first 13.

But since you don't intend to try to publish it anyway, I'm not sure what the point of me commenting on the story is. If all you want is people to read the story, perhaps something like Live Journal is more what you're looking for.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

I give up. There, I edited it. Just please tell me what you think.

Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you.

I read it. I can agree that you made the right decision by not making any attempt to sell it. These kinds of God/Satan/other-supernatural-or-mythical-personage sitting around jawing casually about how to accomplish humanity's salvation/damnation/other-metaphysical-goal-of-said-personage are fairly common. This one doesn't seem to have anything special going for it. The idea isn't developed much beyond the "d'you think that Satan has actually read the Bible?" level. And the answer is the most boring one possible, a simple "No, of course he hasn't." Not even something like "No, he can't read because our linear concept of incident doesn't exist for him."

Still, even though it isn't salable, and won't be unless you change it in truly substantial ways, I'm glad that you accept that the strictures on this forum can be followed for reasons having to do with something beyond the most narrow interpretation of personal self-interest and protection of only your own rights. All too often these kinds of small infractions blow up into flame-wars that require KDW's intervention, which is no doubt annoying to her, as she has a busy life outside keeping us in line.

[This message has been edited by Survivor (edited July 29, 2005).]

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

ouch.
Survivor
Member # 213

Storygiver
Member # 2676

I'm glad this post gave someone some pleasure.
Storygiver
Member # 2676

Thank you survivor for your opinion. I'll try my best to follow the rules. I guess their is always a reason for something.

But I just have one last comment. Why 13? Doesn't that number represent bad luck?

TheoPhileo
Member # 1914

- posted      Profile for TheoPhileo   Email TheoPhileo         Edit/Delete Post 
There may be more to it, but 13 lines is generally what appears on the first page of a properly-formatted manuscript after the title and spacing. So we are only posting the "first page" of our stories.
Posts: 292 | Registered: Feb 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
carameL~
Member # 2750

- posted      Profile for carameL~   Email carameL~         Edit/Delete Post 
I admire your 'thick skin', Storygiver. I'm not even the one being harshly criticised and I'm getting cut lol
Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

By the way, in case anyone's wondering, I simulposted a bit of napalm while Storygiver was editing his initial post down. I was already planning on editing it once the editing got started. The large grins represent my evil laughter at this trick
ChrisG
Member # 2761

- posted      Profile for ChrisG   Email ChrisG         Edit/Delete Post 
TheoPhileo
Member posted July 29, 2005 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheoPhileo Click Here to Email TheoPhileo Edit/Delete Message There may be more to it, but 13 lines is generally what appears on the first page of a properly-formatted manuscript after the title and spacing. So we are only posting the "first page" of our stories.

THAT is capital BS! Out of ten novels I have checked, the average number of lines per first page is 25 to 30.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, please, calm down.

The 13 lines refers to the format that is still requested for most submissions - Courier, double-spaced, and (on the first sheet) starting with the title in the middle of the paper. That generally leaves room for 13 lines. This has nothing to do with how a novel will look when it is eventually published, it is about how an editor, reading a submission, will see your story.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
MaryRobinette
Member # 1680

- posted      Profile for MaryRobinette   Email MaryRobinette         Edit/Delete Post 
As tchernabyelo points out, most of the rules are in place to assist writers who are serious about getting published. Which means, even if it's not fair or seems arbitrary, this site is going to give you a brief idea of what submitting to a publisher will be like. Most publishers will reject an improperly formatted manuscript, or will stop reading if the first page is not compelling.

I don't understand why people don't want their first thirteen lines to be as clear as the rest of the story.

Posts: 2022 | Registered: Jul 2003  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Well, the brutal truth is that most writers have put their very best writing into the first thirteen lines anyway.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I find it mysterious why people join this site to gain understanding about publishing and to learn how to be better writers, then get pissed off at the advice they are given.

I mean, what's the point in that?

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not horrified by having a story about the devil, but I'm not hooked, either. You'd have to convince me that a super-powerful being who existed before the world began would find a game of billiards relaxing. Or that this is really a reasonable expression of what's really happening in his ethereal world.

As it is, my best guess -- don't be offended -- is that using billiards and conversation results from a lack of imagination, and as a result we get a Devil that's essentially a human being. I would lack imagination, too, when writing about cosmic beings! I can think of a time or two when this has been pulled off:

A book, can't remember the name, written in black English from about a century ago, in which the Devil was just some guy, and the stories were like little myths or Just-So stories.

Screwtape was _excellent_. But we got very little about the devil's personal life. It really didn't have one. The details were funny, in a horrible sort of way. He addressed the College of Tempters, and complained about the food -- which was damned souls. But mostly he talked about our world. Since he was evil, he didn't relax at the pub watching the telly; he plotted ways to hurt people and other devils. His personality was so breathtakingly awful you could hardly confuse him with your next-door neighbor.

You've taken on a daunting task here. I don't think I'd be up to it. If you want to pursue it, I invite you to make the Devil noticeably different from humanity; or else make your view of him noticeably different from the conventional one.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I won't say that I could ever confuse Screwtape with any particular next-door neighbor I've actually experienced. But I wouldn't describe it as an outright impossibility either. After all, people have been living next-door to me before

As for how hell is presented, I think that the concept doesn't have to be taken as seriously in this story as it is in The Screwtape Letters. A setting incongruous enough to make us laugh outright (like the portrayal of Hell in The Far Side) would be worth the effort. But the portrayal of Satan as small-time hustler trying to work out the angles on his latest deal with the big man...it just doesn't make it somehow.

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

But the portrayal of Satan as small-time hustler trying to work out the angles on his latest deal with the big man...it just doesn't make it somehow.

Ah, but that's just what the Father of Lies wants you to think...

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.