Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The hurricane: semi-fiction?

Author Topic: The hurricane: semi-fiction?
kgator
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for kgator   Email kgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm viewing this as a type of therapy, to figure out some things that have happened recently in my life....death, hurricanes, etc....so lets see what happens.

"The Hurricane"...that was the name, wasn't it? Or "The Storm"? She couldn't exactly remember the name or author of the poem. She had read it in her sixth grade reading book: one of the boring thousands she had been forced to read, analyze, and find the meter and rhyme: yet this one moved her to take notice, because it started with the idea that a hurricane came through the telephone. In the poem it ripped through the poet's apartment, and left only broken things wet from the rain for the poet to try and sort through. At the age of twelve she had no real connection to it; she had lived in some ways a charmed life; better than most and worse than some. The poem was filed away in a mental folder marked "school". Yet because of it's novelty it became permanent brain dandruff; destined to make appearances at dream functions and to materialize in bad weather. It wasn't until many years later that she understood what the poem really meant, and began to hate telephones.

[This message has been edited by kgator (edited August 12, 2005).]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Phrasingsmith
Member # 2773

- posted      Profile for Phrasingsmith   Email Phrasingsmith         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious to see where this story is going. I was confused a by the following:
" In th poem it ripped through the poet's apartment, and left only refuse and broken "

I perceived it at first to mean that the hurricane left the apartment, then refused to leave the apartment.

The continuity seems a bit disjointed in the sentence which follows the above.

Good Writing!

Posts: 62 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's "refuse" as a noun, not a verb.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
kgator
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for kgator   Email kgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the input. I saw what you meant by that akward line and I've edited abit.
Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
LMermaid
Member # 2778

- posted      Profile for LMermaid   Email LMermaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to read more of this if you don't mind emailing it to me. I'm at LMermaid@aol.com.
Posts: 150 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read it too.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.