Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Dragon's Eyes

Author Topic: Dragon's Eyes
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a short-story I just got back with a lovely, blue rejection slip. I was new to the forum when I sent it out, so I just had a sibling read it. I though I'd ask for a reader or two before picking a new market to send it to, now that it's back. After two rejections, I don't know if there's something wrong with it or not, or if I'm just being too ambitious with my market choices. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dragon's Eyes -- 2,200 words

Drake let his feet dangle over his favorite cliff in Hell. He was mesmerized by the pit below, with its swirling translucent yellow and opaque red flames. It reminded him of the dragon's beautiful eyes before the beast killed him: it reminded him of home. Drake leaned back on his hands, and dug his fingers into the earth beneath the grass. He would sorely miss sitting on this cliff.

"You're going, aren't you?"

"Hello, Bendictus," Drake said without turning around. "I didn't hear you coming."

Bendictus huffed and settled himself carefully next to Drake, keeping his pudgy feet pulled up away from the cliff edge. "One day, my friend," he scolded, waving a thick finger at him, "you're going to fall off that cliff."

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 

Hum! Sounds pretty interesting so far. I'm not an expert critic by any means, but would be happy to read the rest over the weekend.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Miriel
Member # 2719

- posted      Profile for Miriel   Email Miriel         Edit/Delete Post 
Varishta -- thank you so much for being willing to read this for me! I tried to find your e-mail adress and it wasn't listed: where should I send it? Thanks again.

-- Miriel

Posts: 189 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Storygiver
Member # 2676

- posted      Profile for Storygiver   Email Storygiver         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds good. Send it over and I would love to read it over.
Posts: 43 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting.

You can send it my way. I'm getting stuck on my WIP's so a break would be nice. I'll get it back to you by Monday, if that's ok with you.

My email is in my profile.

Thanks for your time.

-Monolith-

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...interesting. And, no outstanding flaws, though your style is a trifle terse for the subject matter. I'd like to read it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Miriel, I think it's a good beginning. If the rest holds up, I'm sure you'll find a home for it eventually.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Varishta
Member # 2789

- posted      Profile for Varishta           Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, I need to fix that e-mail thingy.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Varishta (edited August 20, 2005).]

Posts: 140 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystic
Member # 2673

- posted      Profile for Mystic   Email Mystic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it.
Posts: 162 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
I like where you seem to be going with this, and it catches my interest. There are a couple of suggestions I could make--and of course, they're only suggestions. Let me just comment within @@@ inside your text:

Drake let his feet dangle over his favorite cliff in Hell. @@@Consider instead of "let his feet dangle" using just "dangled". Also, consider bringing the fact that he's in Hell into the mix through some other means--either through conversation with the other person, or perhaps through some kind of action, so that we are slowly shown instead of told where he is.@@@

He was mesmerized by the pit below, with its swirling translucent yellow and opaque red flames. It reminded him of the dragon's beautiful eyes before the beast killed him: it reminded him of home.@@@Suggestion: try combining these two sentences, such as: "Mesmerized by the pit below, its swirling flames reminded him of the dragon's beautiful yellow and red eyes--just before it killed him."

Drake leaned back on his hands,@@@Consider dropping "on his hands". It's really implied by the following phrase, "and dug his fingers"@@@
and dug his fingers into the earth beneath the grass. He would sorely miss sitting on this cliff.

I hope this helps a little.

Shane

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
pogozorro
Member # 2805

- posted      Profile for pogozorro   Email pogozorro         Edit/Delete Post 
The opening certainly grabs the reader's attention. If you need mroe people to read the entire work, I'd be delighted to see where it goes.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Vatyma
Member # 2749

- posted      Profile for Vatyma   Email Vatyma         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice hook,

Only one thing I didn't get: is Drake in hell or is he sitting on a cliff over hell?

I'd love to read it if you're still lookin' for more readers:)

Posts: 36 | Registered: Jul 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see any problem with the style or phrasing. Only punctuation error I caught is that you should have used a semi-colon in this sentence instead of a colon:

quote:
It reminded him of the dragon's beautiful eyes before the beast killed him[;] it reminded him of home.

Check out http://www.nationalpunctuationday.com/index.html and click on the appropriate punctuation mark for a quick refresher on punctuation.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
lerxster
Member # 2827

- posted      Profile for lerxster   Email lerxster         Edit/Delete Post 
It's quite interesting to me so far. I'm new at this, but I'll read it and comment if you're interested.

lerxster@gmail.com

Posts: 15 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Miriel -

- I agree with Smaug in not telling us where Drake is straight off. As with the others, though, this opening has certainly caught my attention and I'd be glad to read the whole thing.

One point though, and it has to do with the combination of the words 'favorite' and 'Hell' in the first sentence. For me it gives the impression that the story that follows is going to be a humorous piece (is it?). It makes it sound frivolous, somehow.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.