Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "Fragments of Glass" (realistic fiction, 750 words)

Author Topic: "Fragments of Glass" (realistic fiction, 750 words)
Valtam
Member # 2833

- posted      Profile for Valtam   Email Valtam         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a short, short story I wrote to pass the time. After writing a short story, I was looking for a challenge. I wanted to take a small isolated event and see how much story and characterization I could fit into an even smaller frame. I'll take feedback on both these lines and the full amount, if anyone wants to read it.

“Fragments of Glass”
The funeral was the first time in a few years that I actually laid eyes on my father. We didn’t really talk to each other on any regular basis. All communication was either through Christmas cards or a rare birthday phone call. After what happened between him and my mother, our relationship simply wasn’t quite the same. Despite our differences, there was something inherently pathetic about not seeing your own dad for so long until you finally meet up again at his own funeral. There isn’t much a father and son can catch up on when the old man is lying in a casket.

So, not long after the funeral, I stood outside the door of that small house I lived in many years ago. It felt so strange, so much smaller than I remembered. Even the doorknob in my hand felt tiny compared to what I remembered. I guess living in the big bad world had changed my perceptions. When I entered that old house of mine, even its interior seemed significantly diminished. It actually hadn’t changed much since I was a kid.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
HSO
Member # 2056

- posted      Profile for HSO   Email HSO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read the whole thing. At 750 words, it seems rude not to. E-mail in profile.

Posts: 1520 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Consider stripping out most of the introspection, and taking us to action.

There are 2 lines of introspection that I think kick ass, and should be used, but maybe after we've got the character in place:

There isn’t much a father and son can catch up on when the old man is lying in a casket. [GREAT LINE]

The funeral was the first time in years that I actually laid eyes on my father. Pathetic, isn't it? [YOUR LINE, PLUS ANOTHER OF YOUR LINES COMPACTED.]

As to where to start . . . where do things get interesting? I suggest you start there, and then drop in some of the reflection we've already seen.

I'll read.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Several ways have already been suggested for making this better. I'd like to read the whole story. Send it along.

Shane

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayn Sedai
Member # 2812

- posted      Profile for Ayn Sedai   Email Ayn Sedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always loved these kinds of stories, and would love to read it. But there were a few things that bothered me. Probably because I do it alot.

“Fragments of Glass”
The funeral was the first time in a few years that I actually laid eyes on my father. <<We didn’t really talk to each other on any regular basis. All communication was either through Christmas cards or a rare birthday phone call.>>(These sentences could easily be combined: "Our communication through the years had been reduced to the occasional Christmas card or birthday call.") After what happened between him and my mother, our relationship <<simply>> ('simply' is an overused word. the statement works well without it.) wasn’t quite the same. <<Despite our differences, there was something inherently pathetic about not seeing your own dad for so long until you finally meet up again at his own funeral.>> (Try switching this one around: Despite our differences, it was inherently pathetic to waste so much time apart, only to come together at his funeral. or "when he was gone".) There isn’t much a father and son can catch up on when the old man is lying in a casket.

So, not long after the funeral, I stood outside the door of that small house I lived in many years ago. It felt so strange, so much smaller <<than I remembered>>(We assume you remember it). Even the doorknob in my hand felt tiny compared to what <<I remembered>> (You just used this. Try something else or just cut it out from 'tiny' The next statement clarifies what you mean). I guess living in the big bad world had changed my perceptions. When I entered that old house of mine, even its interior seemed significantly diminished.(try connecting these two statements with a 'though') It actually hadn’t changed much since I was a kid.

Also
1. You only described their falling out as it related to his treatment of your mother. Yet you have a line, "Despite OUR differences". It makes me question what beef the TWO OF YOU had, all other things aside.
2. I have this problem alot, using "I remembered" or "I recalled" too much in this sort of story. Surprisingly, the reader can most often recognize when you are reminicing and you don't have to tell them all the time. Making comparisons or observations (like your "big bad world changing your perspectives') makes for a better story and impact.

Hope this was helpful. I would like to read it as well.
Thanks.

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul-girtbooks
Member # 2799

- posted      Profile for Paul-girtbooks   Email Paul-girtbooks         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Valtam,

I also write general, realistic fiction and, as with the others, your opening has really caught my interest.

I, also, who love to read the whole thing.

Posts: 203 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.