Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Eggshells--horror scifi

Author Topic: Eggshells--horror scifi
EthanK
Member # 2838

- posted      Profile for EthanK   Email EthanK         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a novel length story about changelings (or creatures biologically adapted to mimic our young).

Eddie Fencer pinched the dull end of a razor blade between his thumb and index finger, wearily scraping algae from the inside of a large aquarium. Saltwater bubbled and swirled around his arm, the brine permanently encrusting his clothes and the rims of his glasses. He finished the seahorses and moved over to the freshwater tropicals. An enormous horseshoe crab trundled frustratedly against the corner of a plastic sump as he passed.
He was careful to always move quickly but deliberately so as not to scratch the glass or knick the silicon edges. Small silvery fish huddled in the corner, terrified of his gently swaying arm. Ironic, mused Eddie silently. They can’t see above the refractive surface. As long as you stuck your whole arm in and not the tips of your fingers, piranhas are cowardly little fish.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, but a little choppy. You go overboard with the saltyness of the saltwater aquarium and then suddenly switch to the dangers of the piranha aquarium.

When you're writing a novel, you have to be willing to give yourself a bit more time.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
benskia
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for benskia   Email benskia         Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it okay to stick your whole arm in? I didn't quite get that bit.

I feel I ought to know. Maybe it will come in usefull one day.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
Because if they can see your whole arm, they know that it's bigger than they are, and they won't be as willing to attack it.
Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
This holds my interest, but like the others, I'd like to see a bit more development here. I'm also curious as to why Eddie has piranhas, but that kind of curiosity keeps me reading. Just a few questions within the text itself.

Eddie Fencer pinched the dull end of a razor blade between his thumb and index finger, wearily scraping algae from the inside of a large aquarium. Saltwater bubbled and swirled around his arm, the brine permanently encrusting his clothes and the rims of his glasses.@@@Why is this a permanent situation?@@@

He finished the seahorses and moved over to the freshwater tropicals. An enormous horseshoe crab trundled frustratedly @@@How can we tell it was frustrated?@@@
against the corner of a plastic sump as he passed.
He was careful to always move quickly but deliberately so as not to scratch the glass or knick the silicon edges. Small silvery fish huddled in the corner, terrified of his gently swaying arm. Ironic, mused Eddie silently. They can’t see above the refractive surface. As long as you stuck your whole arm in and not the tips of your fingers, piranhas are cowardly little fish.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.